IIPA too friuty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreshZ

Reaction score
I brewed this IIPA on 7/11. I'm bottling tomorrow.

6 0 American Two-row Pale
2 0 Briess Pilsen Light DME ~
2 0 Maris Otter Malt
1 0 Briess DME Golden Light
1 0 Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
0 6 Munich Malt - 10L
0 6 Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0 5 Flaked Rye
0 3 Chocolate Rye
Batch size: 5.8 gallons
Original Gravity
1.074 measured
Final Gravity
1.010 measured
hops
first wort 1.0 Summit pellet 17.6
boil 30 mins 1.0 Simcoe leaf 14.1
boil 20 mins 1.0 Simcoe leaf 14.1
boil 15 mins 1.0 Citra pellet 14.5
boil 10 mins 1.0 Simcoe leaf 14.1
boil 5 mins 1.0 Citra pellet 14.5
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Amarillo leaf 10.4
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Cascade pellet 6.8
Boil: 6.5 avg gallons for 60 minutes
Bitterness
141.0 IBU
yeast
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast packet
Munton's Dry Yeast packet

Every time I've taken a gravity reading, including 7 days ago (right before dry hopping), the stuff tasted like pineapple juice. Not quite as sweet, but extremely fruity and not very bitter.

Any thoughts on this? Will the dry hopping and carbing change everything? Does it just need to age a little?

With a 1.010 FG seems it shouldn't be sweet. Maybe a traditional 60 minute bittering hop addition would have balanced it better. Maybe you just need to age this one awhile and to let all those hops and flavors come together. Certainly do not dump it!

Best of luck.

Um, you used Citra hops. One of their primary characteristics is tropical fruit flavor and aroma. The expressions you have mentioned are right in line with their character.

It will definitely be better once it is carbed and conditioned and yes, you did use a tropical, fruity hop selection. In addition, if you fermented too high, meaning close to 70 or higher you probably developed some off flavors which are accentuating that flavor/aroma profile which may or may not dissipate.

How long was you boil?

I see the FWH at the beginning bit nothing that might say 60 min... pretty typical.

...and even if this was the only hop addition those at 30 min sould have added plenty of bitterness.

This is what I came out with

OG 1.065
FG 1.016
IBU 138
ABV 6.3 %
SRM 5

I cannot account for the sweetnes but I think you are bottling to soon (or bottle and wait two months)... IMHO... it needs time to age with that hop and alcohol rate... remember IPAs ageded on their long journey to India...

Sweetness can be perceived from your selection of juicy, fruity hops despite having a very low FG.

Dryhopping and carbing and conditioning will help the beer immensely. Don't worry so much about how the uncarbed sample tastes. It will turn out fine. I usually let my bers like this go for 3 or 4 in the carboy (mid to late 60's F) then another 17 days in the bottle (72 F). They always turn out great.

Seems like a good recipe overall, though a bit complicated with the grist. I would add another oz. to the dryhop myself. If the taste bothers you after carbing, then next time, go with hops that don't have those tropical, fruity characteristics.

Sweetness can be perceived from your selection of juicy, fruity hops despite having a very low FG.

Dryhopping and carbing and conditioning will help the beer immensely. Don't worry so much about how the uncarbed sample tastes. It will turn out fine. I usually let my bers like this go for 3 or 4 in the carboy (mid to late 60's F) then another 17 days in the bottle (72 F). They always turn out great.

Seems like a good recipe overall, though a bit complicated with the grist. I would add another oz. to the dryhop myself. If the taste bothers you after carbing, then next time, go with hops that don't have those tropical, fruity characteristics.

Ya... I was thinking... Someone gave me 2 pounds of Palisades hops... I had never used them so I made an Single Hop English IPA (to see what they tasted like) with 9 oz and 3 more later dry hopped. (11 gallon batch)

It was too sweet and perfumey at first but it is mellowing nicely... It is kegged and I put it on the gas after 2 months... I have considered taking it back off the gas and let age a bit more...

It was sweet and per

I'd have to see a recipe to diagnose what went wrong there. Palisades hops are quite fruity though. They're all stone fruits and grass. The fruity hop aspect is not typical for an English IPA since most of those fruity esters will come from the English yeast. Fermentation temp can also come into play; the higher the fruitier.

bobbrews said:

So I bottled last night and a few things became clear.
1. I hate leaf hops for dry hopping
2. The dry hopping really helped the aroma
3. The sweetness or fruitiness has come down considerably.

I think a few weeks and this might be a tasty brew.

I hate leaf hops for dryhopping and late additions also. But they're okay for early/middle additions as long as you bag them.

Yea, I did not. I think I lost a gallon out of 6 due to trub and damn leaf hops. Oh well. Threw off my carb amount too. Good thing I shot for the low end.

What temp did you ferment at? If it was hot that could explain some of the fruitiness.

Eric

+1 on dry hopping.

I made 10g Mexican"premium" lager for Cinquo de Mayo and put in way too much flaked corn. It was so damn sweet i left 5 g to lager another 2 months, but that didn't help much.

On a whim I dry hopped it with an ounce of Sorachi Ace for 3 days. Holy crap - the beer is actually good (and tastes nothing like yellow beer).

Sounds like the pineapple has mellowed though - good to go!

griffondg said:
What temp did you ferment at? If it was hot that could explain some of the fruitiness.

Eric

About 64-65 for 3 weeks. The last week at 68 and the very last day, about 10 hours at 72. Think that's too warm?

Is this your own recipe? I don't see how you could make such a juicy hop bomb by mistake. If you need to dispose of it all PM me. Maybe next time use some piney, resiny hops (e.g. Fuggles, East Kent Golding) instead.

omokoro said:
Is this your own recipe? I don't see how you could make such a juicy hop bomb by mistake. If you need to dispose of it all PM me. Maybe next time use some piney, resiny hops (e.g. Fuggles, East Kent Golding) instead.

Yes it is and I definitely will use some more piney hops. I like a mixture of dank, fruity, and piney. Maybe Columbus, Citra, and EKG next time?

Yes it is and I definitely will use some more piney hops. I like a mixture of dank, fruity, and piney. Maybe Columbus, Citra, and EKG next time?

I find citra to be quite fruity, lots of tropical aromas. You may not want to dry hop with it, if you don't want it to overpower the aroma.

Back