IIPA to use up some leftovers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll probably finish up a bit sweet between the extract not attenuating all the way and the pound and a half of crystal. Should still be pretty good though.

I thought maybe using us-05? I know that can attenuate really well. I thought that might help the hops show through. I would rather have a balanced imp ipa...

You could add half a pound of corn sugar to dry it out. And you really have 6 ounces of Simcoe just sitting around that you want to get rid of? I would consider taking the 10 minute addition and adding it to the dry hop for more hop punch.

I have 6oz and a half lb of cascade whole leaf. Thinking about it using all the simcoe is silly. Maybe 60min 1oz simcoe 20 min 2oz cascade 15min 1oz simcoe 5min 2oz cascade another 2oz at 1min. Dryhop with 1oz of each? I thought about adding corn sugar. Boil at 15 min? Or add to the boil with the dme? Adding the liquid @ 15.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone use Wyeast 1450? Results? Otherwise I'm using US-05.

Just decided to use US-05 since I have that already. Changed hop additions... FWH Cascade 1oz, Simcoe 1oz @ 60, cascade 2oz @ 20, 2oz @ 15, Citra and Chinook .5oz each @ 5min and 1min, Dryhop 1oz each of cascade, simcoe, citra and chinook... Thoughts anyone? Thank you for the help!

Just decided to use US-05 since I have that already. Changed hop additions... FWH Cascade 1oz, Simcoe 1oz @ 60, cascade 2oz @ 20, 2oz @ 15, Citra and Chinook .5oz each @ 5min and 1min, Dryhop 1oz each of cascade, simcoe, citra and chinook... Thoughts anyone? Thank you for the help!

Sounds awesome! US-05/Chico is my go-to yeast for all things Hoppy, and now pretty much anything else as well (Porter, Stout, Amber... great in a lot of styles because it is so neutral, unless you actually want yeast character). Haven't used Chinook much, but love all of the other hops in there! My next brew is a Citra + Cascade APA. Also just used Citra in a Hefeweizen for a friend in which we are going to add some Mango.

I had to axe the citra! All out at local hbs... I just adjusted to all chinook late. Be a touch more spicy but in an IIPA I really don't mind! Should still rock!

Just as an update. I brewed this. Estimated 1.083. Measured 1.075. Fermented with us05. Bubbling now. Going to be about 100 ibu! Hope it will hit around 8%...

Fermented down to 1.012. 8.3%. Tasted really nice. Going to let it condition 3 weeks then dryhop for 7 days more. Bottle and see what happens!

Cheers to your patience! That's the hardest thing I run into when doing IIPA, is it tastes so freaking good after three weeks when I'm taking a grav. sample, then waiting another couple of weeks before the dryhop to make sure fermentation is finished (and knowing it needs at least three weeks in bottles even after dryhopping)

Yeah it's tough! I only have one week left till dry hop! Chinook cascade and simcoe! Yum!

Bottled... Just need two weeks to sample... 3-4 weeks for it to be fully ready...

Dry-hopped mine last night with 3oz Columbus, 2oz chinook, and 1oz cascade. Checked the sg, down to 1.01 all the way from 1.087, boy do I love us-05 =) bottles in 10 days. Can't wait to be drinking this stuff in another month

Holy S**T! Very nice. Thats a hefty IIPA! US 05 is fantastic. I did a all simcoe pale that really turned out nice. I also did an amber with chinook and cascade all leaf. Just did a American Barley wine with all leaf chinook, cascade and centennial! I love chinook. A lot I read people call it caty... I think its rich slightly citrus. Has a spicy note that just gives beers a great depth. I bittered the Amber with it and added at the end of the boil. Dry hopped with it too. I dig it.

That is a fantastic combination of hops for dry hopping. I would love to try this. I did something similar and was drinking it two weeks after bottling. It was (and still is) superb.

Yeah I got the recipe from brewing classic styles, their hop hammer IIPA. All told it had exactly one pound of hops =)

Damn. Thats impressive. I seriously cannot wait to taste it. I have 11 days to go. I think it will be quite okay.

Back