If you stir in priming sugar, how long for settling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmead

Reaction score
Three weeks now. Fermentation over. Not using secondary. Plan to stir in priming sugar then bottle but not sure how long I should wait for the trub to settle. What amount of time should do it? Don't want to wait too long because the yeast will have begun to devour the sugar.

Are you racking to a bottling bucket? That's where I I'd add my priming mixture. Then transfer the primary less the trub to the bottling bucket.

You don't put the priming sugar in the primary or secondary. It should be dissolved in 2C of boiled water & added to a bottling bucket. Then rack the beer onto that with a piece of tubing that goes half way around the bottom of the bottling bucket. This will swirl the beer as it fills the bottling bucket. Connect bottling wand to the spigot on the bottling bucket & bottle away.

Perhaps mmead doesn't have a second bucket for bottling. If that's the case, Palmer suggests:

2b. If you don't have a bottling bucket, open the fermenter and gently pour the priming solution into the beer. Stir the beer gently with a sanitized spoon, trying to mix it in evenly while being careful not to stir up the sediment too much. Wait a half hour for the sediment to settle back down and to allow more diffusion of the priming solution to take place. Use a bottle filler attachment with the siphon to make the filling easier.​

Hope that helps!

Another option, if you don't have a bottling bucket, is rack to your kettle and bottle from that. You're still going to have to use your siphon for bottling, so might as well rack to the kettle to avoid any sediment issues.

I do have a bottling bucket but I'd rather do it all in one bucket with a spigot. Less hassle. Just needed a time figure for settling. I don't mind some mud in the bottles. Thanks Yall!

I think it would be more hassle not using a separate bottling bucket. Look for a bottling sticky by Revvy

I do have a bottling bucket but I'd rather do it all in one bucket with a spigot. Less hassle. Just needed a time figure for settling. I don't mind some mud in the bottles. Thanks Yall!

Just my opinion, but using a bottling bucket is less hassle than trying to bottle from primary and avoid trub, etc. If you have a bottling bucket, put the dissolved sugar into that bucket, rack from primary into the bottling bucket, and bottle away. You will have evenly mixed sugar, less worry about settling, and you will get far less "mud" in your bottles. I say use the bottling bucket!

I agree with the last two posts: waiting half an hour for the trub to settle seems like more of a hassle. If you like the idea of using the spigot to bottle (I don't, it's just another thing to clean and sanitize), then pick up a bucket with a spigot to be your bottling bucket; the sugar is distributed best by using a second bucket, and you get the ease of a spigot as well.

You guys are missing the fact that he seems to have used the bottling bucket with the spigot for primary. He said he'd rather use the bucket with the spigot. Got'em backwards! The one with the spigot is the bottling bucket,& the plain one without is the primary!

You didn't ferment in the bottling bucket, ie the bucket with the spigot at the bottom, did you?

Another reason I recommend racking to a separate bucket is that the spring valve on your bottling wand can get clogged pretty easy by any hop residue or trub that finds its way in. Cleaning it out is a big hassle.

unionrdr said:
You guys are missing the fact that he seems to have used the bottling bucket with the spigot for primary. He said he'd rather use the bucket with the spigot. Got'em backwards! The one with the spigot is the bottling bucket,& the plain one without is the primary!

Do you think the beer would be aerated too much if he siphons it to the plain bucket, cleans and sanitizes the spigot bucket, transfers it back, then bottles with the spigot?

You won't have "some mud" in the bottles. You'll have a LOT of crap in the bottles if you stir up the sediment to stir in the sugar. A LOT. I wouldn't drink it.

Then I'd say that method would be the most beneficial for mmead, as he can use the spigot and gather the benefits of bottling from a clean bucket.

Just gotta use the right bucket to start with. But since he primaried in the bottling bucket,then using the clean primary bucket with bottling wand on the end of the auto siphon tube would be the methos allowing the lesser amount of oxygenation.

Take a vacuum to the spigot and suck out all the crud on the bottom of fermenter until it runs clear.

Or don't do that.... ;)

You could rack to the other bucket, clean the bottling bucket, and rack back. Unless you're reckless, I don't think this will introduce much additional risk of oxidation.

I'd either do that, or just rack to the other bucket and siphon from there into the bottles. I wouldn't risk stirring up the sediment.

I have one question for the OP. What would be the biggest hassle, using a nice clean bottling bucket or having to dump all those bottles of ruined beer because of shear fricken lazyness? Your choice.

Why not just install a spigot in the other bucket.

That's what I would do. I would buy another spigot. That's $4. Then head to Walmart, BiLo, or any local bakery and ask for a 5 gallon bucket from their cake icing inventory. Walah, a $4 bottling bucket and a saved headache.

That's what I would do. I would buy another spigot. That's $4. Then head to Walmart, BiLo, or any local bakery and ask for a 5 gallon bucket from their cake icing inventory. Walah, a $4 bottling bucket and a saved headache.

+1 on that sugestion, thats what I did. Got two buckets with lids from the local food store's bakery. Cost, $0.00.:mug:

I have spigots on both FV's & bottling bucket. Makes life way easier. But even the bottling bucket is 7.9 gallon. 5G isn't quite big enough for a 5G batch. No head space to keep from splashing during lifting. Besides the fact that I do 5 & 6 gallon batches. Gotta make sure I have plenty of room in the buckets for whatever I'm making.

Back