If you haven't washed yeast yet.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGoalie

Reaction score
I don't know what took me so long to do this, but I finally washed and reused a batch of US-05. Took it from an IPA that I made and then used it in a pale ale. All seems to have worked fine. I have now washed the yeast from the pale into enough for two more batches.

If you haven't tried this yet, it's so easy and so worth it. Not from a monetary standpoint, I could care less about that. It's just fun to add another notch in my brewing experience and reuse yeast successfully. If I think about it I will add a few pics soon.

I used a starter to pitch the washed yeast. Yes, it's easier just to cut open a fresh packed of US-05, but the feeling of being a little more self sufficient was good.

Cheers!!!

Ahhh I remember how empowering it was the first time I harvested and repitched. I actually do it for a convenience factor and for the money. When your doing 10 gallon batches you almost have to. More homebrewers should learn to do it sooner, I know I waited way too long to start doing it.

When I wash/harvest I usually end with 25 ML of good looking yeast at the bottom of my mason jar. I then make a 2L starter and it seems to work fine. There are pitching calculators out there and when you harvest the yeast matters too, but yeast calculators are not fool proof, according to both N. Brewer and WYeast. For example a recent yeast calculator told me I needed a 5L starter. Both NB and WYeast said otherwise. There is a thread on that exchange on this forum. In short, NB and WYeast said a 2L starter was plenty. That's a pretty big difference.

You guys are making it too hard on yourselves. :)

No need to wash, no need to make a starter. After your beer is done fermenting, assuming it was a low-to-medium gravity beer (i.e., below 1.050), and you haven't added anything extra to the fermenter (i.e. fruit, wood chips, dry hops, etc.), just collect the entire yeast cake into 4 sanitized 1-pint Mason jars (I use the jars our pasta sauce comes in). After settling in the fridge for a few days, my jars are about 4/5 yeast, and only the top 1/5 is clear beer/water. Keep the lid cracked just an eighth of a turn, to let any excess CO2 vent out and avoid bottle bombs.

At the start of your next brew day, take one jar out of the fridge and let it gently warm up while you're brewing. When it comes time to pitch, decant the spent wort, swirl up the yeast, and pitch it. That's it.

No need for a starter. A starter really only has two purposes anyway - to verify the viability of the yeast and to build up the necessary cell count. As long as your yeast is less than 2 months old, its viability is fine. After all, by now you're likely drinking the beer it made for you, so you know they're hard workers. :) As for building up a cell count, well, needless to say 1/4 of a yeast cake is more than enough cells to ferment another 5 gallon batch of beer, even if it's fairly high gravity.

You could go through the online calculators and determine its precise viability after the time that's passed, and it will tell you how much of the slurry to pitch, but you're still just guessing as to the cell density of what you've got there. I've had fantastic results just pitching the whole jar (1/4 of a yeast cake). It will take off very quickly and give you a great ferment. It's almost always a considerable overpitch, but overpitching is much less of an issue than underpitching, and commercial breweries pitch higher ratios of yeast than we do at the homebrew scale anyway. As I said, I've had fantastic results using this method.

Label your jars in the fridge with a strip of painters tape on the lid and a sharpie, so you can tell when a yeast is getting too old (I draw the line at 2 months) and discard it.

I would, however, keep beer styles in mind when doing this. For example, if I were brewing a nice, clean-tasting Kolsch, I wouldn't use yeast I'd harvested from a batch of particularly bitter IPA, or a roasty stout, as some of those flavours can carry over.

That's great that you are reusing yeast, but you don't need to wash it to reuse it. If you enjoy the process it's not going to hurt much, but you are throwing away good yeast, inducing another possibility of contamination, and storing the yeast in a less than ideal environment.

More details here:
http://www.woodlandbrew.com/2012/12/yeast-washing-exposed.html
http://www.woodlandbrew.com/2013/01/yeast-washing-revisited.html

And an easy way to save yeast:
http://www.woodlandbrew.com/2013/01/yeast-storage.html

Same as Kombat.It usally breaks down to about 250 ML slurry per 5 gallons.I think that may be higher than Mr Malty calls for but it seems to work just fine.

When repitching washed yeast from a starter how do you go about calculating the amount of DME/water?

I use various yeast calculators such as the one in beersmith. I error on the side of caution, especially if it's been hanging out in the fridge for more than a couple weeks. I often make a 1 gallon starter, and I use crushed grain instead of buying DME. 1 lb of grain works out to about 1.036 for 1 gallon of water.

Another vote for NO wash, NO starter; re-use. I do use Mr. Malty to calculate how much slurry is needed tho.

Back