If you have a Bobby_M Sightglass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Send me a picture of your install for a chance to win Randy Mosher's "Radical Brewing" book.

Fine print... It must be one of the kits that I currently sell and your install has to have the calibration numbers on it also. I'm trying to build a photo gallery of all the installs for the website..

You have until 9/15.. Details in the link in my sig. :rockin:

Bobby,

I posted this in your other thread, but will post here as well....

(and, if you want a better picture, I can get one).

BK_with_sight_glass.jpg

Already have Radical Brewing and I've had your sight glass for a while (it may not be the current model), but wouldn't mind my HLT being a part of the gallery if my install is worthy.

SightGlass2.jpg

I was hoping to just get it all from one place to save on shipping. The price is great, and I see all of the parts needed, just not as a single product I can buy.

I don't currently offer drain bulkheads or ball valves. It's something I planned to do for a long time but I'm having a hard enough time keeping up with the sight glass orders. I understand that people want to have a one stop shopping experience and I hope to be able to offer that in the future.

Oh, I don't need a drain bulkhead or ball valve. I just want a 1/2" ss coupling, nipple, tee, sightglass, and thermo setup. I just didn't see all of that as a single product. I see the sightglass for welded applications, but not the sightglass with thermo. Basically that (the welded sight glass) with a tee and thermo.

To clarify, the WLST weldless setup, but with a 1/2" coupling instead of the nuts/washers/o-rings.

Sorry about that. I read a different question via email around the same time and was operating on more than a few homebrews.

I get what you're looking for. My kits use 1/4" NPT so I think what you're looking for is 1/2" coupling, 1/2 to 1/4" bushing, 1/4" close nipple, then the tee. The problem here is that it's such a long assembly of parts that it sticks out far from the vessel and the 4" thermo probe is not long enough anymore.

There's really no need for a 1/2" coupling on a sight glass. It's overkill. I think there are two ideal ways to go. You could stick with the weldless kit. Of course I'm biased but this is the best weldless design I've seen yet. It doesn't leak, ever. The other option is to have a 1/4" NPT hex nipple welded in, then the tee would thread directly onto that limiting the amount of additional pieces required. The bushing in my regular weldless kit could also be welded in but it would have to be done from the inside and a lot of welders would probably pass on it.

Slightly off topic question here:

How do you guys get your lines marked so cleanly on your sightglass? Mine looks like a 3-year-old drew the lines and numbers.

Help me make my sightglass purty!

wow those are cool..

sorry to hijack but bobby... if I have just a turkey fryer kettle, would I select "P" for pot if I were to order one?

The side is curved..but it is a verticle surface.. I'm not sure what exactly was meant... it isn't a keg... :drunk:

Sorry about that. I read a different question via email around the same time and was operating on more than a few homebrews.

I get what you're looking for. My kits use 1/4" NPT so I think what you're looking for is 1/2" coupling, 1/2 to 1/4" bushing, 1/4" close nipple, then the tee. The problem here is that it's such a long assembly of parts that it sticks out far from the vessel and the 4" thermo probe is not long enough anymore.

There's really no need for a 1/2" coupling on a sight glass. It's overkill. I think there are two ideal ways to go. You could stick with the weldless kit. Of course I'm biased but this is the best weldless design I've seen yet. It doesn't leak, ever. The other option is to have a 1/4" NPT hex nipple welded in, then the tee would thread directly onto that limiting the amount of additional pieces required. The bushing in my regular weldless kit could also be welded in but it would have to be done from the inside and a lot of welders would probably pass on it.

Okay, for some reason I assumed it was all 1/2". How about a 1/4" coupling to weld on, then the close nipple, tee, sightglass, thermo? Is that an option I could order from you?

I'm doing the welding (actually, I'm brazing with stay silv 45), and the hole hasn't been drilled yet, so I can make it whatever size is necessary.

I just mocked it up and I still only get 3/4" of probe penetration into the vessel. No good. The problem is that even close nipples add a bunch of length. They don't disappear into the two adjacent female parts like you'd think. The best bet would be to get the regular weldless kit and braze the 1/4" bushing directly into the keg. I can give you a $3 refund for not sending the silicone and stainless washer.

Thanks for taking the time to mock it up. I'll go ahead and order the weldless kit. Don't worry about a refund. After highjacking your thread and you taking the time to mock it up, not to mention doing it on Labor Day, I almost feel like I should pay more. :eek:

Got my issue of BYO today.
Looking at the sightglass featured in the "Gifts for Under $25" article on page 36.
Hey, that looks familiar!
:mug:
:drunk:

Hey, you saw that too? Duh, I thumbed through it when it arrived and 2 days later someone told me about it. They got the title wrong because it's not what the picture is of, but still cool.

Back