If you could invest in one or the other...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
And you were currently doing partial mashes with a 5g round cooler... Would you...

1. Upgrade your boil kettle and get an immersion chiller so that you could do full boils.

2. Invest in kegging equipment and continue partial boils?

I just did both at the same time. If I had to choose one or the other then I would have gone for the new kettle. Full boils are supposed to make for better beer. And if you already have the mash tun then you can step up to all grain.

If you can only do one, then definitely full boils. Then it's real cheap to upgrade to all-grain, and you will notice a difference.

Get the kettle upgrade. For the life of me, I will never understand the concept of partial mashes. If you go through all the trouble and hard work of mashing and sparging, why o why do you take the fruits of your labor and add extract to it?????? Get the chiller and the kettle and end that nonsense.

I did both this summer. I am now broke. :(

Living a mile from AHS has that effect. I had to move away just to keep food on the table!

You've already got the MLT, I'd definitely get the kettle and chiller and go all-grain. I'd rather drink great beer from a bottle than merely good beer from a faucet.

There's no reason you can't get into kegging incrementally, you don't need to buy everything at once. Start with a few kegs (they are really pretty cheap) and fill em up with the wonderful AG beer you've just started brewing with your new kettle & chiller. Set them aside to age, and start looking for a used Co2 tank & regulator. From there you can add an old fridge from Craig's List, and a picnic tap...a perfectly adequate way to dispense kegged beer. Then start gathering the stuff for your kegerator, as opportunity and money allows.

First brew the best possible beer that can be brewed (AG), then worry about how to store/dispense.

+1 on this...

I actually did it the other way, only because I got a FANTASTIC deal on two cornies, a tank and a regulator. In the long run, it still was not a good enough deal. All it means is that I have had convenient inferior beer. What I want is awesome beer, no matter what it is being poured out of, and the first step toward that for you is a full size kettle, so that you can do full boil. You will get less kettle carmelization of the wort, giving you lighter color and truer flavors to your beer. You will also get better hop utilization, also improving the quality of your beer.

Last but not least, here is the big kicker for me, if you are going to be brewing no matter what, then going all grain, and then getting a mill and milling the grain yourself, will pay for itself, and then for your kegging system fairly quickly.

With better hop utilization, you will need less of them for the same flavor in your beer. There is your first money savings per batch. Not a huge savings, mind you, but it all adds up.

Next is the switch from extract to grain. My LHBS charges $1.25 per pound for base malt, and $2 per pound for bulk LME. Lets say for a roughly 1.050 OG pale ale, you need roughly 9# of base malt ($11 from my LHBS), you would need roughly 7# of LME ($14 from my LHBS). There is your second savings per batch.

Last, by milling my own grain, my cost from the LHBS goes from $1.25 per pound to only about $0.6 per pound, and on top of that, I get about a 10% increase in efficiency over the milling that the LHBS does, so it is half the cost, and I need less. Now that 9# of base malt is only about 8#, and it costs me about $5.

So, by having the right tools for full boil AG brewing, I just saved over $9 per 5 gallon batch. There are a number of mills out there for less than $100, so even if you are brewing 5 gallons a month, you pay for that in less than a year. Brew more than once a month, and you will start paying for that kegging system pretty quick too.

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely going with the bigger kettle, IC, etc. and will piece together some kegging equipment while making better beer. I don't really mind bottling anyway - for now...

Craig,
Where you located? Maybe some of us could help you get hooked up on some good deals.
If you are anywhere near Seattle, I may have some extra equipment available very soon, that I could let go fairly cheap...

Craig,
Where you located? Maybe some of us could help you get hooked up on some good deals.
If you are anywhere near Seattle, I may have some extra equipment available very soon, that I could let go fairly cheap...

Thanks man. I really appreciate the offer. I'm in CT if anyone is getting rid of any kegging gear in the near future. I'm all set with the kettle and IC!

Get the kegger for sure. These other guys dont' know what they are talking about. Just imagine how cool your friends will think you are when you show off your in-home-tap system. Cold beer right to your glass!! Who cares how the stuff tastes. Image is everything!!

ok, just kidding. I'm bored...

Latest posts

Back