If there was only one yeast left on earth, and it was dry...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easy.... 34/70. Makes a good lager and if pitched in enough quantity can ferment at ale temps cleaner than ale yeast.

Saflager S-23.
It brews clean at low temps and makes a nice grainy rustic ale at room temp.

Saflager S-23.
It brews clean at low temps and makes a nice grainy rustic ale at room temp.
(Disclaimer: I've never used 34/70, and xbmt reports a statistical inability to distinguish between the two, so my vote for 23 could, by some, be considered a vote for 34/70.)

I give up. I established the posting rules for this, my thread, and they are consistently being violated. Have at it, post what you will, and come to your own conclusions. I will no longer attempt to formally tally up any results.

No offence but........
Did you really think for more than .00000000001 of a second that the people on here are capable of doing such a task? (as simple as it seems)

Say more than one yeast.....I'll kill ya
An explanation with no yeast.....I'll kill ya
If you don't get with the program.....I'll kill ya

Half the people here have no idea what were talking about.
Lets start another poll
Do you know what this is from?
Don't say if you do
If you say....I'll kill ya

I'd go with s-04, its like the big toe of brewing.

OK, now you have enough different choices to do a reasonable poll. So do one which will allow people to pick only one yeast.

As for me, i don't know which one I'd pick....probably S05 or S04.

These kind of hypothetical problems make my head hurt, as there are tons of assumptions that must be accepted for the premise to be true. As in "will I have fermentation temperature control or will I not?"

And we would have Bread to eat....No I got it from the get go, I thought it was a very clever choice actually.

Revisiting this theme from a slightly different angle: Have any of you simplified your brewing to where you now use only a single yeast, and if so, what yeast is it? (I'm opening this threads discussion to liquid as well as dry yeasts now, but requesting that you answer within the confines of my question as posed here)

I'm surprised the love for S04....Lots of hatred for that yeast around here.
I have no clear cut answer for a favorite yeast

Well US-04 can make very good beer but it's not a forgiving yeast. It's pretty finicky and you need temp control muuuuuuch more with it than US-05.

I made my mind up. I just sampled a beer that has been very good to me, made w/ S04 under temp controlled conditions. I adjusted it slightly using S05 instead based on a tip from a friend.

Well. I've never had a dumper, and this is drinkable, but it's only that. The beauty of the beer made with S04 is gone with S05. The beer does nothing well. I'm hoping that a bit more time conditioning in the keg might help, but it's been 22 days since brewing, and the S04 beer was always terrific by this time.

So--S04.

So is this a giant conspiracy to drive me mad? Do they call it S05 in Australia or Canada? Is Fermentis called Saflager some place or are Safale and Saflager interchangeable? Nooooooo they are not!!!!

Fermentis Safale S-04
Fermentis Safale US-05
Fermentis Saflager S-23

S-04, US-05, S-23

By the way for me it would be US-05.

Revisiting this theme from a slightly different angle: Have any of you simplified your brewing to where you now use only a single yeast, and if so, what yeast is it? (I'm opening this threads discussion to liquid as well as dry yeasts now, but requesting that you answer within the confines of my question as posed here)
Changing the thread rules mid-way through? What trickery is this! I will not stand for this treachery!

IMO there isn't one single yeast that can satisfy all the varieties of what I brew. Sometimes you want esters, sometimes you don't. And that just scratches the surface.

Umm... No.

Saflager 34/70.

I find it surprisingly good at ale temps for a lager yeast, so it has versatility going for it.

I'd trust it for an ale before I would trust most ale yeasts for a lager.

I give up. I established the posting rules for this, my thread, and they are consistently being violated. Have at it, post what you will, and come to your own conclusions. I will no longer attempt to formally tally up any results.

I haven't read most of the thread, so someone else might have suggested it, but if you'd like to collect data and 'tally up' which yeast people would use if they could only use one. Perhaps do a poll (when you create a new thread, it's at the bottom) so the thread doesnt go off topic

Latest posts

Back