Identifying type of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boicutt

Reaction score
Hi guys!

First off I don't know if another forum would be suitable for this subject?

I was put in touch with someone who has hops growing in their yard. They have no idea the type/alpha's of the hops. Is there any easy way to identify the hops growing in his yard? I mean I know some of them by smell but I don't know enough to really identify all types! He's more than willing to give them all to me, he doesn't brew. I just don't want to waste them!

Thanks!

Not really helpful but here's a picture I was sent. They look thin and long. Cascade?

$_20.JPG

There's no real way to tell what the alpha acid % is on homegrown hops unless you have a lab I think. The best way is to just experiment with them over time and see how much you need if you're going to use them for bittering. Most folks who grown their own usually use them for flavor additions and dry hopping since it's hard to determine what the AA% is. They look nice though!

Yeah I figured for the AAs that was the issue. I just want to know the type so I can preplan taste haha. It's up in Quebec and the popular grown ones here are: Nugget, Golding, Mount Hood, Willamette, Cascade, Hallertauer, Sterling, Newport. So it has to be one of these. I'm leaning towards Cascade, but it's a total wild guess.

I've never used leaf hops before, only pellets. I know that leaf isn't as efficient when comparing the same quantity in weight, but can I use them whole, as is or do I have to leaf them? (Sorry if it's a stupid question).

Yeah I figured for the AAs that was the issue. I just want to know the type so I can preplan taste haha. It's up in Quebec and the popular grown ones here are: Nugget, Golding, Mount Hood, Willamette, Cascade, Hallertauer, Sterling, Newport. So it has to be one of these. I'm leaning towards Cascade, but it's a total wild guess.

I've never used leaf hops before, only pellets. I know that leaf isn't as efficient when comparing the same quantity in weight, but can I use them whole, as is or do I have to leaf them? (Sorry if it's a stupid question).

Just dump them in whole. You can rough them up a little if you want but I've always just tossed them in. They sort of fall apart in the boil anyway. Be prepared to loose some volume though because they sort of act like sponges and soak up wort. They may soak up less since they're still fresh and not totally dried out.

All right so here are the hops. I finally have them in hand. Still not sure of the type, but i noticed quite a lot of small blackish bugs. Bugs don't worry me, but occasionallu bugs mean the hops are no longer usable. Any body have input?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411326573.873813.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1411326581.218002.jpg

Back