Identification of the Mr. Beer "Brewer's Yeast"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houstonbg

Reaction score
Hi all,

Has the yeast strain of the Mr. Beer dry ale yeast "Brewer's Yeast" been figured out yet? I searched for a bit on HBT and via a few Google searches, but was unable to find anything.

I'm just curious and I find it odd that they divulge every other strain but the "Brewer's Yeast."

I reached out to Carol Dieckmann, a Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics at the University of Arizona and a yeast molecular geneticist, asking if she could help me out or point me in the right direction regarding the testing of the yeast.

I don't anticipate a response anytime soon, so if anyone knows, that'd be great!

Thanks so much.

Is this is the yeast included with the 850 gram and 1.3kg cans of hopped malt extracts?

Why is it so important to you?

Is it a really really good yeast or is it very expensive... and you hope to find a discount source for it?

Have you asked Mr Beer?
I have no interest in dry yeast, but your being curious, is curious.

You said that they "divulge" every other strain but the "Brewer's Yeast."
By "divulge" do you mean "sell"?

Does the fact that they might have bought a yeast in bulk in order to have their own "House Brand" bother you that much?

I hate OEMs myself, but unless it is a superior yeast, why care?

I think it's the Cooper's ale yeast. I could be wrong, though. Hopefully someone else will confirm or correct me.

Is this is the yeast included with the 850 gram and 1.3kg cans of hopped malt extracts?

Why is it so important to you?

Is it a really really good yeast or is it very expensive... and you hope to find a discount source for it?

Have you asked Mr Beer?
I have no interest in dry yeast, but your being curious, is curious.

You said that they "divulge" every other strain but the "Brewer's Yeast."
By "divulge" do you mean "sell"?

Does the fact that they might have bought a yeast in bulk in order to have their own "House Brand" bother you that much?

I hate OEMs myself, but unless it is a superior yeast, why care?

Yes, it is the yeast included in the Mr. Beer "Classic American Light" kit.

It's important to me because I'm curious. I want to know for the sake of knowing. I have no ulterior motive aside from that.

By "divulge" I mean that they clearly state what strains other yeast packets are on their site, but when it comes to "Brewer's Yeast," there's nothing. Just that it's "Brewer's Yeast."

I'm not bothered by a thing, but thank you for your input. :)

Fair enough. I apologize for throwing words around without regard to connotation.

Just to clarify, I don't think anything conspiratorial is going on. I'm a very curious person, so little things like this pique that curiousity.

Back