Ideas Please! Need a quick to ferment recipe/style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wahoofna627

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm looking for a style for my next brew that would be ready to bottle in a week or two at the most. Less important is how long it would have to sit in the bottles (although the sooner we can drink them the better :)). I'm constrained somewhat as I'll have to travel back to school with it in mid January and would much rather bring along 50 bottles instead of a 5 gallon bucket sloshing around in the back.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Mike

A low gravity pale ale would be your best bet. But you're still going to need at LEAST a week or so for them to carbonate after you bottle it. If you try to rush it, you'll be highly dissatisfied with the taste.
Take your time and do it right, your buddies can buy their own damn beer! Lol

A Hefeweizen would work! I had one in the bottle after 10 days. A typically dry hop my pale ales, so for me those take at least 3 weeks.

I package my beer all the time at day 10-14 so it is doable. A couple of keys- make sure you use the proper amount of yeast. If using liquid yeast, consult mrmalty.com and look at his pitching calculator. I'd also consider using a flocculant yeast, and making a low OG beer. You want to avoid roasty flavors or anything that might take longer to mellow.

For beer styles to try, American wheat is a good one if you like wheat beers. A mild is a great choice if you like British style session beers. You could do an English brown (similar to Newcastle) or an English pale. You can also do an American pale ale (like Sierra Nevada) if your recipe is 1.045 or under and not too complex in the malt.

I'd stay away from a stout or porter, where sometimes the roasty flavor needs a bit of time to mellow. A simple grainbill, with simple hopping, and well attenuating ale yeast that is flocculant should give you what you need.

any wit, hefe, orfys mild, any of the popular huas pales you will find here. Just pitch plenty of yeast. Just dont go crazy on on og 1.050 or less would be best.

Bitter,Mild,Pale,Wheat, as Yooper has stated. You can make alot of beer in 2 weeks it just a matter if they taste right in the bottle yet. I just had a pale ale carb up and taste good bottled checked on 5 days.
Just make a low gravity session ale and just bottle it before you go,you dont want to travel with a carboy thats a bad idea,as you have thought.
Heres a recipe from the Homebrewers recipe guide: If your using extract otherwise you can convert it to all grain.

ANY PUB IN LONDON BITTER:

3 1/3# LightLME
2#Light DME
1.5 oz kent goldings @60
1 oz cascades @finish
1 Package london Ale yeast
-- gypsum,irish moss optional

This is traditionally lower carbed 1/2 cup priming sugar,but i personally would carb it a bit more. Add a little carapils,or wheat if you want a little head,otherwise its described as having no head,which is the way it was intended as well as being a very light beer with strong hop flavor/boquet hand drawn and served up at cellar tempature.
It says it should be complete in 10 days and age in bottle 5-7 days but that is hit or miss. OG 1.028
I havent brewed this yet but would like to soon.But all grain.And id probably tweak it a bit.

Back