Ideas for a Simcoe recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4stringed

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I was at my LHBS and they had brought in a whole bunch of 8 oz bags of whole leaf hops. One bag that caught my eye was simcoe, having read about this hop and having never seen it carried before I bought it and it is now in my fridge :rockin:. I'm up in Alberta and have never even seen simcoe pellets before but am always reading about how they are people's favorite hop. I want to do an IPA with them but it seems kind of a waste to use whole leaf hops for bittering, well from what I read at least. I'm looking for suggestions of hop combinations to use. I hear centennial is a good one as is amarillo, however amarillo is another one that I've never been able to find. I do partial mash brews mostly

My Favorite is "Weyerbacher double SIMCO" this is a good beer and it's all SIMCO.

This is a recipe I found on the internet, always wanted to try it out myself;
--------------------------------------
All-Grain - Double Simcoe IPA Recipe
Yeast: Wyeast #1099
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1078
Final Gravity: 1022
IBU: 104.3
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 6.0
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Tasting Notes: Great Floral nose with hints of grapefruit & citrus and a clean crispness.

Double Simcoe IPA
Imperial IPA

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Brewer: Julian Davis
Boil Size: 7.51 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (15.5gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 40.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU

12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 70.6 %
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5.9 %

1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (90 min) Hops 36.6 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 34.2 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (30 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (15 min) Hops 17.0 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (5 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.078 SG
SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.0 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.3 %
Bitterness: 104.3 IBU
Calories: 359 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.0 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 16.00 lb
Sparge Water: 4.68 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Saccharification Add 20.00 qt of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F 40 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 4.5 oz Carbonation Used: -

Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 14.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

This beer went down really well at the local home brew club scoring an average of 39 point for taste

Pretty much any citrusy hops go with simcoe. My favorite combo is Amarillo+centennial+simcoe, but you can use cascade, columbus, chinook or citra also.

Ya, I'd like to get my hands on some amarillo but its pretty tough to find, I've been eyeing a few of Yoopers recipes like that one and also his lakefront clone. I see warrior also come up a lot in combination with Simcoe. I'm willing to order Amarillo online if I can find it and if the combination with simcoe is really so phenomenal. I'm still a noob in the brewing game, I had enough wits to snatch the bag of simcoe but now that i have it I'm worried I won't use it to the best of its abilities. Part of me really wants to do a SMaSH with it for the learning potential but I also would like to do something like that dogfish head clone. Unfortunately we don't get dogfish here in AB so I'm curious to brew a clone myself. One of the perks of brewing I suppose, if ya can't find it, brew it!

Pretty much any citrusy hops go with simcoe. My favorite combo is Amarillo+centennial+simcoe, but you can use cascade, columbus, chinook or citra also.

Chinook sounds like an interesting one to combine it with, I really like the grapefruit character of lakefront IPA so maybe I'll formulate something with that in mind

Ya, I'd like to get my hands on some amarillo but its pretty tough to find, I've been eyeing a few of Yoopers recipes like that one and also his lakefront clone.

I LOVE amarillo/simcoe as a combo- it's probably my favorite hops combination. Both the DFH clone and the Lakefront would be great to try, if and when you get amarillo hops.

But one minor point- I'm not a "his". I'm a "her". :D

I just picked up 2 oz of Simcoe pellets and have a similar issue. They are great hops to be sure but what is the best way to use2 oz for a 5 gal batch?

I just picked up 2 oz of Simcoe pellets and have a similar issue. They are great hops to be sure but what is the best way to use2 oz for a 5 gal batch?

What are you hoping to achieve? A hoppy IPA, or a more mellow American amber, etc? If you want to really get the "simcoe flavor" by itself, I'd suggest bittering with a neutral bittering hop and using the simcoe in later additions.

But one minor point- I'm not a "his". I'm a "her". :D

Whoops, I guess your rippling biceps threw me off :D

By the way thanx for posting extract recipes along with the AG versions its super helpful for us that haven't made that leap yet

Whoops, I guess your rippling biceps threw me off :D

By the way thanx for posting extract recipes along with the AG versions its super helpful for us that haven't made that leap yet

You're welcome! I try to do it for most of them, but sometimes I just forget or don't even think about it.

Yes, those biceps are very sexy. But in person, I'm a petite, 135 pound, almost-middle-aged grandmother. I just look bigger on the internet.

Nice to meet you Yoop, I've been using this site for a while but just started posting. Any suggestions for a good hop source online and what are some other good hop strains to order for IPA brewing purposes

Nice to meet you Yoop, I've been using this site for a while but just started posting. Any suggestions for a good hop source online and what are some other good hop strains to order for IPA brewing purposes

There are two kinds of IPAs. One is the original English version. It got the name India Pale Ale because beer was put in casks, hopped heavily (hops are a preservative!) and sent to India for the British troops there. Since it was by sea, they needed to have it preserved with the hops.

English IPAs are still hoppy, but they tend to have more malt flavor and to be balanced a bit better between hops and malt. English IPAs will use British malts, and British hops. Malts like maris otter and hops like East Kent Goldings and fuggles will usually be in the recipe. Also, crystal malts are commonly used.

American IPAs tend to be "bigger", hoppier, and full of US citrus-y hops but there are earthy hops and piney hops in there too. Usually you see mostly US two-row as a base malt, with some specialty grains (but less than in English IPAs), and the US hops known as C-hops (Cascade, chinook, centennial, etc). In addition to the C-hops, simcoe is becoming very popular as is amarillo.

I have a couple of American IPA recipe posted, and there are lots more in the database. Since they are mostly basemalt with specialty grains, you can easily convert them to extract (or one of us would be happy to help you) if you find an AG batch you want to do.

I buy hops in bulk from freshops.com and hopsdirect.com, but you can buy them by the ounce at any homebrew store. I'm not sure which online stores ship to Canada, but I love austinhomebrew.com for kits/recipes/fresh ingredients and northernbrewer.com for many of the same. I shop a lot at brewmasterswarehouse.com, especially for grain since they always seem to have all of the ones I need.

Ya I'm a big fan of American IPAs but I don't think I've ever had a good example of an English one for a comparison. My favourite IPAs come out of BC where they grow lots of hops. Sounds like I'll be ordering some Amarillo online if I can find somewhere in Canada since its often a pain to order plant stuff up from the states. I've currently got an IPA in secondary that was one of my first recipes I formulated, I used some ideas from the 48 degree sam adams but I'm kinda iffy on whether or not it will turn out well. I'll do a write up on it when its done. One other burning question I have about IPAs: that nice rich copper colour that many IPAs have, what grains are used to achieve that?

Yooper said:
I'd suggest bittering with a neutral bittering hop and using the simcoe in later additions.

Neutral (?) didn't think I could pull off a Simcoe flavored ipa with 2 oz. I suppose I could use nuggets in early - and 1
Oz Simcoe at flame out and another dry hopped in the secondary(?)

A milder American ale I think is what I'm looking for. I just did an IPA last night to try and use the 1/2 POUND of Nugget and 1/2 POUND of Willamette my brother got me for my b day ( whole hops and totally random)

One other burning question I have about IPAs: that nice rich copper colour that many IPAs have, what grains are used to achieve that?

There are lots of ways to get the copper color. I usually use Caramel 40, 60, or 80...they are fairly common for IPAs. Don't go overboard, a lot of people say not over 10% caramel. I have added a bit of 120 before also (2%). Shoot for 10-14 SRM for a nice copper color, the higher end for a more reddish tint.

It is also common to use grains such as munich or vienna, which will darken your beer also.

My Favorite is "Weyerbacher double SIMCO" this is a good beer and it's all SIMCO.

This is a recipe I found on the internet, always wanted to try it out myself;
--------------------------------------
All-Grain - Double Simcoe IPA Recipe
Yeast: Wyeast #1099
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1078
Final Gravity: 1022
IBU: 104.3
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 6.0
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Tasting Notes: Great Floral nose with hints of grapefruit & citrus and a clean crispness.

Double Simcoe IPA
Imperial IPA

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Brewer: Julian Davis
Boil Size: 7.51 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (15.5gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 40.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU

12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 70.6 %
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5.9 %

1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (90 min) Hops 36.6 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 34.2 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (30 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (15 min) Hops 17.0 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (5 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.078 SG
SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.0 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.3 %
Bitterness: 104.3 IBU
Calories: 359 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.0 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 16.00 lb
Sparge Water: 4.68 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Saccharification Add 20.00 qt of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F 40 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 4.5 oz Carbonation Used: -

Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 14.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

This beer went down really well at the local home brew club scoring an average of 39 point for taste

Just made this a second time. Great beer with a surprising amount of character for a single hop beer. My sister in law loves this and she's normally not an IPA fan.

Neutral (?) didn't think I could pull off a Simcoe flavored ipa with 2 oz. I suppose I could use nuggets in early - and 1
Oz Simcoe at flame out and another dry hopped in the secondary(?)

A milder American ale I think is what I'm looking for. I just did an IPA last night to try and use the 1/2 POUND of Nugget and 1/2 POUND of Willamette my brother got me for my b day ( whole hops and totally random)

I wouldn't use it at flame out and dryhopping. It has great flavor, so I'd make sure to use a flavor addition!

Depending on the grainbill:

.75 ounce bittering hops (to 30 IBUs or so) 60 minutes
.5 ounce simcoe 15 minutes
.5 ounce simcoe 5 minutes
.5 ounce simcoe 0 minutes
.5 ounce dryhop

If you want a "milder" hops flavor, you could cut the simcoe down a bit.

Thanks for the info... Definitely will give it a whirl. BTW, my 2 nd attempt at your Marzen is easily the best beer I've made to date.

I've had the Simcoe Double IPA on C02 for 4 day's now. I did have it in my wine fridge for about a week at 49 degrees to get some of the "stuff" to drop out before I kegged it so that gave the C02 a little headstart I guess. It's not close to fully carbed but I really really like it. A bit sweeter than some Double's I've had but definitely fits the standard.

I just need to leave it the hell alone so I can get it fully carbed before I drink it all :)

Still have 1/2lb of Simcoe left. Looking to try a simcoe/Amarillo/C**** something IPA this weekend.

I think its really neat when breweries make ipas that only use one kind of hops. I've read about the sam adams 12 case where they deconstructed their 48 degree ipa and did ipas wiith only one kind of hop in the different beers. A BC brewery called phillips did a similar thing 'cept they include 3 "special guest" beers in their ipa mix pack so it included

3-Skookum- a dark IPA
3- Hopcircle- their flagship IPA
3- Krypton- Their rye IPA
3- "Special guest IPA"

The special guest I got in my pack was a cascade IPA, gave me a very clear understanding of the hop profile of cascade. I wish I could have gotten a hold of one of the sam adams packs. I wish more breweries would do this kind of thing so I wouldn't have to SMaSH a hop to figure it out

Back