Idea for Sankey Keg MLT Insulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Okay guys-

Got an idea for insulating a keg MLT.

What if you took a 30 Gal trash can, some concrete molding tubing, and GreatStuff and created a jacket for the MLT? You would spray the GreatStuff in between the can itself and the molding tube (You might have to cut this to fit around a sankey and still leave wiggle room), then you could probably line the interior with Reflectix. Drop this insulated and reflectix-lined can directly over the top of the keg, and you have an awesome insulator that would probably be just as good as a rubbermaid. If you get a shorter trashcan that sits higher up on the skirt, you could probably still do direct fire step mashes and recirc through a QD in the top of the apparatus. What do you think?:mug:

That sound like a lot of work to save keep your MLT from losing 1 degree of heat. I can see maybe taping on some reflectix, but nothing more than that. Just my $0.02.

I bought 25 feet of reflectix and wrapped around my MLT, I use the HVAC size zip-ties and it works great even on cold days; which for my part of Texas is about 2 days/yr. When I'm done and need to clean I just take off the ties and unroll the reflectix. To strengthen the reflectix I just used some of the HVAC metal tap and folded it over the edges so as to stop any chance of tears.

Latest posts

Back