I want a pint. Right now.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, finally home from work. I'll have a pint of miraculix best before heading to my homebrew club meeting.. gonna take some along and see how the club members like it.
View attachment 758800

I'm going to have to give that recipe a go after I do the 71 bodds I'm brewing up this weekend hopefully. It looks really good.

I am flattered.

Bitte!

Now for the rest of the story: Doc says my A1C is a little high, so time to start exercising and cut down on the carbs. Not going to the gym 'til this Covid thing subsides a bit more, and it's too damn cold to go outside for physical activity. As for carbs, I never met a carb I didn't like.

Dilemma: Quit drinking beer or brew a low carb one myself. I did a Brut IPA several years ago for a competition that did quite well in the Experimental category before the current BJCP revision that listed Brut IPA as a subcategory. With amyloglucosidaise added to the mash and fermenting with Gulo yeast I went from 1.035 OG to 1.003 FG, which resulted in 4.3% ABV and only 7.5 carbs (calculated).

In studying up low carb beer recipes (keto), I found several suggestions for retaining body and flavor by limiting style choices, so as to NOT end up with a lifeless concoction like Michelob Ultra. Some of the styles suggested were Common Bitters and British Golden ales, along with lower alcohol dark English beers like Porters.

So with your permission, I'm thinking that I'll try basing a low calorie/low carb on either your Easy AK Light Bitter or Best Golden Ale. My plan will be to reduce the grain bill but retain the ratios, add amyloglucosidaise to the mash, mash at a higher temperature, and pitch a lower attenuating British yeast, something that will express more esters. Once gravity drops below 1.020 and begins to slow I'll pitch some Nottingham or other more attentive yeast (maybe even Gulo, though I'd prefer a STA1- strain if possible) to finish off the residual dextrins towards a target FG of around 1.003.

Targets will be 4ish % ABV, carbs 7 or less. With any luck I hope to end up with a low carb beer that still retains the character and taste of a bitters, even if the body is a bit thin. I'll try not to bastardize your recipe, but I think I'll call it "Red Headed Step-Child" if it does ;).

Bitte!

Now for the rest of the story: Doc says my A1C is a little high, so time to start exercising and cut down on the carbs. Not going to the gym 'til this Covid thing subsides a bit more, and it's too damn cold to go outside for physical activity. As for carbs, I never met a carb I didn't like.

Dilemma: Quit drinking beer or brew a low carb one myself. I did a Brut IPA several years ago for a competition that did quite well in the Experimental category before the current BJCP revision that listed Brut IPA as a subcategory. With amyloglucosidaise added to the mash and fermenting with Gulo yeast I went from 1.035 OG to 1.003 FG, which resulted in 4.3% ABV and only 7.5 carbs (calculated).

In studying up low carb beer recipes (keto), I found several suggestions for retaining body and flavor by limiting style choices, so as to NOT end up with a lifeless concoction like Michelob Ultra. Some of the styles suggested were Common Bitters and British Golden ales, along with lower alcohol dark English beers like Porters.

So with your permission, I'm thinking that I'll try basing a low calorie/low carb on either your Easy AK Light Bitter or Best Golden Ale. My plan will be to reduce the grain bill but retain the ratios, add amyloglucosidaise to the mash, mash at a higher temperature, and pitch a lower attenuating British yeast, something that will express more esters. Once gravity drops below 1.020 and begins to slow I'll pitch some Nottingham or other more attentive yeast (maybe even Gulo, though I'd prefer a STA1- strain if possible) to finish off the residual dextrins towards a target FG of around 1.003.

Targets will be 4ish % ABV, carbs 7 or less. With any luck I hope to end up with a low carb beer that still retains the character and taste of a bitters, even if the body is a bit thin. I'll try not to bastardize your recipe, but I think I'll call it "Red Headed Step-Child" if it does ;).
Maybe try co pitching belle saison and pub. Belle is really bringing the gravity down while upping glycerine levels which gives the sensation of a much higher fg than it actually is. It will finish around 1.001 or something like that. Belle itself is pretty boring, does not taste like a saison yeast to me, actually perfect for the job.

Maybe try co pitching belle saison and pub. Belle is really bringing the gravity down while upping glycerine levels which gives the sensation of a much higher fg than it actually is. It will finish around 1.001 or something like that. Belle itself is pretty boring, does not taste like a saison yeast to me, actually perfect for the job.
Using a Saison yeast is a very good idea for expressing esters and improving mouthfeel. A few ml of glycerol might be an acceptable "cheat." Originally I planned on fermenting with A09 Pub. I've used it before and liked it, also have some frozen samples on ice, though I don't want to wait for a week or so to coax it back from dormancy. And it's too cold to mail order some without it freezing in transit. I've got some Verdant (dry) and some Nottingham (also dry) and considered a co-pitch of those two, or maybe start with Verdant and pitch Notty after a few days to allow more esters to develop in the early fermentation. Nottingham drops so clear, I'd like it to encourage the Verdant to follow suit and get the floc out of there.

Using a Saison yeast is a very good idea for expressing esters and improving mouthfeel. A few ml of glycerol might be an acceptable "cheat." Originally I planned on fermenting with A09 Pub. I've used it before and liked it, also have some frozen samples on ice, though I don't want to wait for a week or so to coax it back from dormancy. And it's too cold to mail order some without it freezing in transit. I've got some Verdant (dry) and some Nottingham (also dry) and considered a co-pitch of those two, or maybe start with Verdant and pitch Notty after a few days to allow more esters to develop in the early fermentation. Nottingham drops so clear, I'd like it to encourage the Verdant to follow suit and get the floc out of there.
Belle Saison has almost 0 esters imo. It is the cleanest saison yeast I know. It is really disappointing, if you are expecting a saison character, but for your goals, it should be perfect. The co pitch is making sure that at least some character develops from the A09. It also enhances flocculation, belle is quite powdery on it's own.

Apparently it is pint o' clock in Germany. It is 1:30 pm and I really want a pint right now. But I cannot have a pint right now.

This is a good idea, I typically just drink water at work all day to get my liver ready for the evening. But I know at 5:30 I'll have a pint of freshly poured hb miraculix best.

1650051570081.png

but being it's just a maybe, you can get away with it at work...but damn, at $3-4 a bottle better BYOK

Based on the OP, it's either okay or not okay to drink a pint and that is based on timing and other factors as to whether it is appropriate/inappropriate to have one. We're the result of our decisions which result in either a more positive effect or a more negative effect of the action.
Sorry to be a wet blanket.

Based on the OP, it's either okay or not okay to drink a pint and that is based on timing and other factors as to whether it is appropriate/inappropriate to have one. We're the result of our decisions which result in either a more positive effect or a more negative effect of the action.
Sorry to be a wet blanket.
What?

Latest posts

Back