I wanna make a run at BIG A.G. stout...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uuurang

Reaction score
Would like to do Stonface RIS clone, but I need to build up yeast population. The recipe is a 10 gallon, I'd cut the grain bill/ hops? in half, and I'd do batch sparging instead of single infusion mash.
The yeast is wyeast 1056.

Anyone have suggestions/recipes for a smaller (1.040-1.050) AG? Maybe a brown, stout? etc...

Will the slurry from primary be enough to tackle such a big brew as the Stoneface RIS?

TIA!

Thanks for the recipes. I'll have a look later.

Am I correct that the primary slurry is the best for a big beer? It seems most people have said the primary is best.

uuurang said:
Would like to do Stonface RIS clone, but I need to build up yeast population. The recipe is a 10 gallon, I'd cut the grain bill/ hops? in half, and I'd do batch sparging instead of single infusion mash.
The yeast is wyeast 1056.
Anyone have suggestions/recipes for a smaller (1.040-1.050) AG? Maybe a brown, stout? etc...
Will the slurry from primary be enough to tackle such a big brew as the Stoneface RIS?
TIA!
I'm a newbie but isn't the sparging technique independent of the mashing technique? In other words you could do a single infusion, multi infusion, step, or decoction mash and then you could do a batch or fly sparge. I don't think you would do batch sparging "instead of" single infusion as they are completely different steps.
I would think that a yeast cake would provide plenty of yeast for the big beer. The RIS flavor is going to dominate nearly any flavors left over from the previous batch so make your favorite low to mid gravity beer. I've been listening to the Jamil show recently and he likes to make a low gravity Scottish Ale to produce a good yeast cake.

Craig

Back