I used old hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcampo

Reaction score
The 2oz of Willamette whole hops that I bought from Morebeer.com were old I believe (light green color, some light brown spots, hint of a "cheesy" aroma). I used them anyway in my Ordinary British Bitter for bittering and aroma.

Curious to know, has anyone used old hops before, or does anyone have an idea of what the outcome will be?

I'm curious as well. I have 3oz of high AA% hops that have been in the freezer for just over a year. I got them for an IPA I never ended up making.

ill let you know what the outcome is 4 weeks from now. Hopefully a decreased bitteriness and aroma is the only case. I would hate to have oxidized flavors in it, especially knowing this beer is for a family event.

Its kind of upsetting to know that MoreBeer sold me old hops.

I have used both whole and pellet hop varieties that had similar qualities as you described even though they were documented to be fresh. I was concerned at the time but the beer was just fine. RDWHAH.

On a tangent, I recently made a beer and used some old hop pellets (3-5 years?) from the back of the freezer and I conservatively estimated the decrease in AA using an online calculator and the beer is too bitter. There are others who have reported this as well. I think the effects of age on hops might be overstated. Storage conditions are another matter.

I presented a beer to a contest and was told I used old hops. They looked, smelled and tasted like fresh hops to me. But, who am I?
Oh, the same beer was presented to another contest and took silver. Whatever, I liked it and it no longer is part of this world.

Back