I tried Pliny the Younger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead, they went to 4-5 beer stores before one finally had Heady. They only sold them a 4-pack. Ridiculous, especially considering the 10-hour round trip.

Damn, I'm glad they at least got some, although only a four pack. Still got 3 left from a case. Holding on to them for dear life.

I gotta say, Heady ages really well. Of course the hops fade somewhat with time, but I find the malt character is great in this beer. It changes, but not in a bad way, but you'll still get plenty of hop flavor.

It's usually a 3 hour trip for us up to Hill Farmstead. SWMBO has family up there. We've got a little one in tow, but I still manage to make the most of the time and come back with a few growlers.

I don't care if it's made from unicorn tears, I'm not waiting in line for hours for any beer. I'll enjoy what I can get my hands on, and the rest, I just don't care about. I know that beer is just beer, and if I can't get one particular DIPA, I'll just have to drink another one. There are PLENTY of great beers out there, without all of the hype. I often find that a ton of hype just ends up disappointing anyways. People like to make a big deal out of little things, and one beer from one brewery is, to me, just a little thing.

Hype and lacing are the two most important factors in making a great beer...seriously though.

I don't get why everyone's getting so built up about this. If people want to wait in line, let them. And it is part of the culture. I'm sure they are meeting other enthusiasts, trading stories, maybe even other beers.

I liken it to a bar. You can buy most beer at a nice craft store so why "wait" for a bartender to come and serve you? Because we are social animals, that's why. People like experience, whether its spending a night at a bar and making new friends or laughing with old ones, or going on a road trip to a brewery. Just because the brewery is packed and has lines, it doesn't change the intent of the experience.

I've met some of my closest friends through going to bars and through the beer culture around my area. In fact, nearly everyone I hang out with besides my family is a home brewer and into craft beer. I'm not a far drive from Heady or Hill Farmstead but I don't see the need to go, wait, and maybe be out. Mainly because many people around me do it regularly and I get easy access to their spoils. Can't hate on that.

My wife wants to take our kid to see sesame street in Penn this summer. One of the first things I did was see how far it was from Tired Hands and bars with Pliney and other local favorites. If I make it there, great, if not, I still get a great experience with my family.

As a local who lives a 10 minute bike ride for the brewery I can say most locals are glad when PTY is gone. We get our pub back. I also remember a few years back before the lines when you could go in and get it in pint form. I also remember the year that I went in on opening day and they had erased it from the board already because it was the first year with a line and the last year that they allowed growlers. People showed up early with coolers full of growlers to sell or hoard. Everyone was pissed that year, including Vinnie and Natalie. Since then there have been lines and a daily allotment.

Now it is just kinda ridiculous. People waited in line 12+ hours this year in a damn heavy rain storm, talking 3" in one day heavy. We locals are angry with a few things: the lines! (I'll let this slide since it is a great beer and after the growler drain year demand has skyrocketed), they now post the days on facebook (maybe twitter too) when they expect the line to be short (these are the days that the locals can actually get some) and the "you know someone" crap. I went down 3 days this year, 2 times I went off to another local brewery, after seeing the line, that has a really good DIPA at the same time. The other I got in in less than 20 minutes waiting in line. A few days before I had a coworker that called a friend that works there and bypassed the 8 hour line that day, got 6 PTY (they only allow "3" per person but if you are not too stupid you can get more) and a growler for free! Other friends did the same thing only without the growlers. I have friends who work there and I take the stupid honorable route and wait for the day that there is no line. It is a personal choice I guess.

To be fair to Vinnie and Natalie, they want to keep their brewery good and micromanage it to their liking, not a bad thing, I love the result...for the most part. The employees hate those 2 weeks but love it later as it is like a Christmas bonus to them, they make a crap ton more in tips and it is good for them.

Someone mentioned the other local businesses clouded by the lines and this has gone on long enough but I will say that I have herd first they hated the lines, now they work with them and prosper.

tldnr: it is a great beer, not worth the lines, people cheat the lines, 3rd street ale works has double standard, i need another beer now

LOL so much winning in this thread. Hype haters gonna hate, hype lovers gonna love. Don't get me wrong I love a good discussion, but really yall? Get over yourselves and your entitlements.

As a local who lives a 10 minute bike ride for the brewery I can say most locals are glad when PTY is gone. We get our pub back. I also remember a few years back before the lines when you could go in and get it in pint form. I also remember the year that I went in on opening day and they had erased it from the board already because it was the first year with a line and the last year that they allowed growlers. People showed up early with coolers full of growlers to sell or hoard. Everyone was pissed that year, including Vinnie and Natalie. Since then there have been lines and a daily allotment.

Now it is just kinda ridiculous. People waited in line 12+ hours this year in a damn heavy rain storm, talking 3" in one day heavy. We locals are angry with a few things: the lines! (I'll let this slide since it is a great beer and after the growler drain year demand has skyrocketed), they now post the days on facebook (maybe twitter too) when they expect the line to be short (these are the days that the locals can actually get some) and the "you know someone" crap. I went down 3 days this year, 2 times I went off to another local brewery, after seeing the line, that has a really good DIPA at the same time. The other I got in in less than 20 minutes waiting in line. A few days before I had a coworker that called a friend that works there and bypassed the 8 hour line that day, got 6 PTY (they only allow "3" per person but if you are not too stupid you can get more) and a growler for free! Other friends did the same thing only without the growlers. I have friends who work there and I take the stupid honorable route and wait for the day that there is no line. It is a personal choice I guess.

To be fair to Vinnie and Natalie, they want to keep their brewery good and micromanage it to their liking, not a bad thing, I love the result...for the most part. The employees hate those 2 weeks but love it later as it is like a Christmas bonus to them, they make a crap ton more in tips and it is good for them.

Someone mentioned the other local businesses clouded by the lines and this has gone on long enough but I will say that I have herd first they hated the lines, now they work with them and prosper.

tldnr: it is a great beer, not worth the lines, people cheat the lines, 3rd street ale works has double standard, i need another beer now

I used to live about 10 Minutes by bike as well. Went to SRJC, and my roommate was a barmaid at the Old Vic (same site as the current pub). I was there seeing friends, and doing a little business on opening weekend, and like you, I went elsewhere. As it coincided with SF Beer Week, I found a local taproom that had the most amazing beer selection I've ever seen, bourbon county, FW Anniversary, and about 10 other beers that are exceptionally rare.

I don't begrudge Vinny and Natalie either, I'm stoked for their success. But I too will pass on the line.

PS, I think you're being conservative with the rain totals...maybe you're right on though...but for the storm total (which most of it fell Saturday IIRC, with a bit less on Sunday) I read 10"!!!

I don't care if it's made from unicorn tears, I'm not waiting in line for hours for any beer. I'll enjoy what I can get my hands on, and the rest, I just don't care about. I know that beer is just beer, and if I can't get one particular DIPA, I'll just have to drink another one. There are PLENTY of great beers out there, without all of the hype. I often find that a ton of hype just ends up disappointing anyways. People like to make a big deal out of little things, and one beer from one brewery is, to me, just a little thing.

Completely agree! I will admit searching out harder to find Firestone Walker beers like their Anniversary's, Parabola's, etc... but I'd never wait hours in line for one. To me it's just silly. My time is far too valuable. I'm not disparaging others who want to wait hours... ok, maybe I am a little, but to each their own. You'd just never catch me waiting hours to get a glass or bottle of beer.

I've often wondered if a brewery like Lagunitas, just as an example, took a beer like Hop Stoopid (which IMO is one of the best CHEAP DIPA, $4-5 locally for a 22oz) and made it a once a year limited release, would people go nuts for it? Probably... because it's all about the hype and much, much less about the beer itself. Pliny is good, but there are many other DIPA's I'd gladly pay an extra few dollars for, but none I'd stand in line for. It's just beer. Nothing proprietary about it. If you work enough at it, you can make the same thing at home for a fraction of the cost.

LOL so much winning in this thread. Hype haters gonna hate, hype lovers gonna love. Don't get me wrong I love a good discussion, but really yall? Get over yourselves and your entitlements.

I feel like I'm misunderstanding what you are saying. What do you mean by entitlements? Are you saying that people standing in line are expressing that they are entitled to get beer? Or are you saying that the people who live in the local area are beholden to an entitlement of the beer because they are locals? I'm just trying to understand your post but it feels like it was cut off before you finished your thought.

I'm wondering how many people that have mentioned never being willing to stand in line for this have stood in line for a movie. Or Disneyland/Disneyworld or any other theme park hours for a 4 minute roller coaster ride. It's not that different.

It's really no different than a non-home brewer saying "You wait 4-6 weeks for a beer? I can go down to the store and have one in the next X minutes".

To each their own.

I feel like I'm misunderstanding what you are saying. What do you mean by entitlements? Are you saying that people standing in line are expressing that they are entitled to get beer? Or are you saying that the people who live in the local area are beholden to an entitlement of the beer because they are locals? I'm just trying to understand your post but it feels like it was cut off before you finished your thought.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure he knows what point he's trying to make or the meaning of "entitlement" for that matter.

I'm wondering how many people that have mentioned never being willing to stand in line for this have stood in line for a movie. Or Disneyland/Disneyworld or any other theme park hours for a 4 minute roller coaster ride. It's not that different.

It's really no different than a non-home brewer saying "You wait 4-6 weeks for a beer? I can go down to the store and have one in the next X minutes".

To each their own.

I kind of get your point, but have never and would never stand in line for hours waiting for a movie either. I'd wait a few weeks and go when the crowds die down or more than likely, wait until I can watch it from the luxury of my couch.

The Disney thing you kind of have a point too, but I will counter with I can't walk down the street and buy tickets to another theme park. With beer there are tons and tons of options. And I think others will agree, our point is that I am not waiting in line for hours to taste a beer when there are so many other options that don't require a 5hr wait and huge price tag. Disney's and theme parks don't popup on every street corner. Breweries on the other hand.... well they're popping up like CVS's or Wallgreens....they're everywhere now. If breweries were as rare as Disney and other theme parks, I could totally justify a 5hr wait.

Well said. I would add further that the uniqueness of the anticipated experience is key. If expectations are not met in the end, it creates skepticism and brand mistrust. I am sooooo glad I was able to taste a $10 ten oz. glass to judge for myself. @ 60 glasses per sixtel, a $600 gross/keg is good for the bar, bad for the drinker!

I kind of get your point, but have never and would never stand in line for hours waiting for a movie either. I'd wait a few weeks and go when the crowds die down or more than likely, wait until I can watch it from the luxury of my couch.

The Disney thing you kind of have a point too, but I will counter with I can't walk down the street and buy tickets to another theme park. With beer there are tons and tons of options. And I think others will agree, our point is that I am not waiting in line for hours to taste a beer when there are so many other options that don't require a 5hr wait and huge price tag. Disney's and theme parks don't popup on every street corner. Breweries on the other hand.... well they're popping up like CVS's or Wallgreens....they're everywhere now. If breweries were as rare as Disney and other theme parks, I could totally justify a 5hr wait.

Well said. I would add further that the uniqueness of the anticipated experience is key. If expectations are not met in the end, it creates skepticism and brand mistrust. I am sooooo glad I was able to taste a $10 ten oz. glass to judge for myself. @ 60 glasses per sixtel, a $600 gross/keg is good for the bar, bad for the drinker!

I agree. But price complaints are a reflection on the retailer that charged you $10/pour, not the brewer who only charged $4 (a VERY fair price) for the same pour.

Latest posts

Back