I think I'm underhopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlehop

Reaction score
I brewed today :D perfectly smooth brew day.
seven month old son and wife helped out to make it an awsome fathers day.
swmbo also got me some kits from Northern Brewer but they won't be here untill tomorrow. So today I brewed what I think is an IPA from the stuff I had on hand,but I think I underhopped.

recipe
12 # 2 row
4 # pale northwest
.5 # crystal 135
.5 # carapils
1.5 oz. centenial bittering
.5 oz. centenial flavor
.5 oz. centenial aroma
.5 oz sterling aroma

mash at 152 degree 60 minutes
safale so4 english ale
5 gallons in fermenter at 1.054 O.G.

I'll add hops later if it needs it, but I'd like to know if this is going to taste close to style or am I going to be way short. Thanks for any opinions:mug:

you might be right on target. A little low maybe for an american ipa but good for an english IPA

It doesn't sound bad to me at all. You might want to dry hop to accentuate some of the hop flavor and aroma you got from the boil.

TL

+1 with TL! You look good up front but if you really want to get the aroma, you may want to dry hop that when you go to secondary.

Great! thats what I was hoping to here. I was just a little worried, but you know with the hop crisis and all I have been trying to brew a little more conservative or maybe call it balanced. I'll update on the dryhop.

Latest posts

Back