I Think I'd Make an Excellent Advice Columnist- Another Rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
When reading the paper online I always spend a bit of time hovering over whatever genius is handing out advice under an assumed name. For your viewing pleasure I have assembled another list of observations that have me almost convinced that society is falling apart at the seams.

1) There are no qualifications listed to be an advice columnist. Dear Margo has been married 6 times (and has kept all of the rings and gifts that came from her 5 failed experiments), had children but "was never very fond of kids", can barely use a computer (and brags about it, because if there is one thing I adore it's pride taken in ignorance), has had few if any other jobs other than being an advice columnist and, as far as I know, has never gone to college. She gives advice on romance/marriage, childcare, employment/workplace issues, and education. Seeing as how you not only have to no know much on a subject but you can be the exact opposite of knowledgable on a subject in order to doll out advice, I have taken her lead and I, at this moment, have become a vegan nutritionist, a basketball coach, and a Catholic nun.

2) People make mistakes. I might have made a mistake in writing this and thinking you would read it. People who make mistakes often need advice to right these wrongs. However, the majority of people who write in seem to be vile, obnoxious gits who want someone to defend whatever undefendable position they are in to a public who seems to want to hear it.
"I'm dying, should I write my mistress of 20 years into my will?" and "Why does my husband always play the tv too softly and why does everybody mumble these days?" both have obvious answers. If you need an advice columnist to answer them for you, I suggest signing over power of attorney to someone who isnt a yutz.

3) If you have sustained a trauma in the past or have a diagnosed mental illness, seek therapy. Ctrl+c Ctrl+v. Done. Next letter. Not that I dont feel sympathy, but isnt this advice obvious?

4) Dear Prudence writes for Slate magazine. Slate magazine is somewhere to the left of not only myself but of Vladamir Lenin. People have actually written her to ask how to get their son to stop seeing an African American woman, how to "politely" tell a gay neighbor they dont approve of his lifestyle, and "what should I do, my pre-schooler's teacher is pregnant and unmarried!"

*pause*... Now that I have stopped twitching and bleeding from the ears....

I'm not going to come right out and say that the content of their letters is idiotic (I'm just going to imply it) but know what you are getting into before you write a letter to someone. That would be like calling in to the 700 Club asking how best to integrate an African American Satanist Communist college kid wearing a Darwin T-Shirt into Bob Jones University. Its almost as dumb as asking Dear Margo... anything.

and finally (for now) 5) It seems like the best advice any of these folks give somehow involves a casserole. I can totally do that. Casseroles are delicious.

Sigh. It will pass...

I decided long ago that the letters to these people are fake. They are only for entertainment purposes. Similar to Jerry Springer, and those stupid towing/auction shows on TV. Staged and fake. Once you come to this realization, the reading experience of these articles are quite enjoyable.

When reading the paper online I always spend a bit of time hovering over whatever genius is handing out advice under an assumed name. For your viewing pleasure I have assembled another list of observations that have me almost convinced that society is falling apart at the seams.

1) There are no qualifications listed to be an advice columnist. Dear Margo has been married 6 times (and has kept all of the rings and gifts that came from her 5 failed experiments), had children but "was never very fond of kids", can barely use a computer (and brags about it, because if there is one thing I adore it's pride taken in ignorance), has had few if any other jobs other than being an advice columnist and, as far as I know, has never gone to college. She gives advice on romance/marriage, childcare, employment/workplace issues, and education. Seeing as how you not only have to no know much on a subject but you can be the exact opposite of knowledgable on a subject in order to doll out advice, I have taken her lead and I, at this moment, have become a vegan nutritionist, a basketball coach, and a Catholic nun.

2) People make mistakes. I might have made a mistake in writing this and thinking you would read it. People who make mistakes often need advice to right these wrongs. However, the majority of people who write in seem to be vile, obnoxious gits who want someone to defend whatever undefendable position they are in to a public who seems to want to hear it.
"I'm dying, should I write my mistress of 20 years into my will?" and "Why does my husband always play the tv too softly and why does everybody mumble these days?" both have obvious answers. If you need an advice columnist to answer them for you, I suggest signing over power of attorney to someone who isnt a yutz.

3) If you have sustained a trauma in the past or have a diagnosed mental illness, seek therapy. Ctrl+c Ctrl+v. Done. Next letter. Not that I dont feel sympathy, but isnt this advice obvious?

4) Dear Prudence writes for Slate magazine. Slate magazine is somewhere to the left of not only myself but of Vladamir Lenin. People have actually written her to ask how to get their son to stop seeing an African American woman, how to "politely" tell a gay neighbor they dont approve of his lifestyle, and "what should I do, my pre-schooler's teacher is pregnant and unmarried!"

*pause*... Now that I have stopped twitching and bleeding from the ears....

I'm not going to come right out and say that the content of their letters is idiotic (I'm just going to imply it) but know what you are getting into before you write a letter to someone. That would be like calling in to the 700 Club asking how best to integrate an African American Satanist Communist college kid wearing a Darwin T-Shirt into Bob Jones University. Its almost as dumb as asking Dear Margo... anything.

and finally (for now) 5) It seems like the best advice any of these folks give somehow involves a casserole. I can totally do that. Casseroles are delicious.

Sigh. It will pass...

I like casseroles.

My advice to you is contact your local paper and start an advice column, or post it here and have people submit there issues to you for solving.

I'll go first. I am out of casseroles.

Dear TxBrew,

You have not specified if you are out of casserole dishes or out of the end product of cooking ingredients in said casserole dish.

If your trouble is with the former I would suggest getting an inexpensive corningware casserole on craigslist or amazon. If you live near family, I would suggest borrowing at least one from them, as I have never met a person over 50, who had a family of some kind, who did not own such a dish.

If you are out of food that has been cooked in a casserole, I suggest you head to your local mega mart and pick up the following ingredients.

1 bunch fresh beets, red or golden (or both) with greens still attached
1 pound block of good quality provolone cheese
1 small jar lavender

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. I cannot spell the word that F stands for, but that doesnt matter, as you would not be writing to me about casseroles if you were in Europe. This is a fact. A sad fact.

Boil beet roots after a quick rinse and brushing until soft. Shock them in ice water and remove skins with a cloth. Pretend you are rubbing the dirt off a baseball. Slice thick and arrange a layer of sliced beet roots on the bottom of your casserole. Try to have little or no "white" showing. You are going for complete coverage. Feel free to make a comment here about healthcare and complete coverage, but be sure to do it elsewhere.

Next layer should be sliced provolone followed by beet greens that have been boiled in salt and lavender. Be conservative with the lavender as it is strong stuff. Feel free to make a joke about conservatives being strong or liberals liking lavender, but know that I am already rolling my eyes. Now, another layer of beets. Continue like this until you have reached the top of your dish or your beets run out. Your penultimate layer should be cheese atop greens.

Bake said casserole until the cheese browns and the beets are warmed through. Serve in slices as you would Sicilian pizza. Voila! You have one more casserole then you did before, and it is one that raises your probability of getting laid that night by a significant margin.

Yours Truly ~ Creamy Goodness

For Creamy's pamphlet of recipes including this casserole and many others, send $9.99 plus the cost of shipping to:

Creamy Casseroles
PO Box 8675309
New York, NY 100000

Yooper said:
Dear CG:

I am a moderator on a small forum concerning craft brewing. There's this one guy who makes me laugh but drives me crazy with weird rants. I don't want to hurt his feelings. He's too old and too distant to spank.

What should I do?

:D

ban hammer!

Sorry, creamy, I had to. Just always know I love/hate/love you.

;)

Dear TxBrew,

You have not specified if you are out of casserole dishes or out of the end product of cooking ingredients in said casserole dish.

If your trouble is with the former I would suggest getting an inexpensive corningware casserole on craigslist or amazon. If you live near family, I would suggest borrowing at least one from them, as I have never met a person over 50, who had a family of some kind, who did not own such a dish.

If you are out of food that has been cooked in a casserole, I suggest you head to your local mega mart and pick up the following ingredients.

1 bunch fresh beets, red or golden (or both) with greens still attached
1 pound block of good quality provolone cheese
1 small jar lavender

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. I cannot spell the word that F stands for, but that doesnt matter, as you would not be writing to me about casseroles if you were in Europe. This is a fact. A sad fact.

Boil beet roots after a quick rinse and brushing until soft. Shock them in ice water and remove skins with a cloth. Pretend you are rubbing the dirt off a baseball. Slice thick and arrange a layer of sliced beet roots on the bottom of your casserole. Try to have little or no "white" showing. You are going for complete coverage. Feel free to make a comment here about healthcare and complete coverage, but be sure to do it elsewhere.

Next layer should be sliced provolone followed by beet greens that have been boiled in salt and lavender. Be conservative with the lavender as it is strong stuff. Feel free to make a joke about conservatives being strong or liberals liking lavender, but know that I am already rolling my eyes. Now, another layer of beets. Continue like this until you have reached the top of your dish or your beets run out. Your penultimate layer should be cheese atop greens.

Bake said casserole until the cheese browns and the beets are warmed through. Serve in slices as you would Sicilian pizza. Voila! You have one more casserole then you did before, and it is one that raises your probability of getting laid that night by a significant margin.

Yours Truly ~ Creamy Goodness

For Creamy's pamphlet of recipes including this casserole and many others, send $9.99 plus the cost of shipping to:

Creamy Casseroles
PO Box 8675309
New York, NY 100000

I found a man on Craigslist offering to help.

When I got there, all he had were these crystals he needed help powering up.

When does he send the casserole?

Dear CG:

I am a moderator on a small forum concerning craft brewing. There's this one guy who makes me laugh but drives me crazy with weird rants. I don't want to hurt his feelings. He's too old and too distant to spank.

What should I do?

:D

A really long stick? I don't know, this crystal guy has me confused right now, but then I 'm not the advice guy.

This might be my favorite thread ever.

See, I get the beets and cheese, (although I despise beets) but I totally missed the thread? Coats & Clark? What color? cut small or to a certain length? parboiled or cooked with the casserole?

arrgghhh - so many questions.
please, Casserole Advice Columnist - elucidate!

Parboiled with a little lavender in the water actually. I like to keep the greens whole for easier laying/layering.

Whatever do you mean by Coats & Clark? Friends of yours?

Dear CG.
I usually dont write letters like this because these things never happen to me. But the other night, when a super hawt girl from down the street stopped by things got out of hand. She knocked at the door, I let her in. I was in my basement bar, tipping a home brew. I offered her one...

Dear Creamy,

Did you know that the prositute from the Elliot Spitzer scandal is an advice columnist for The Post? On a serious note, I'm about to go to Bitters and Esters for the first time. Are they a good LHBS?

Signed, Awaiting Promotion in Brooklyn

Dear barneygumble, forgive me, but I think you are looking for the CreamyGoodness at Penthouse Forum. Lets just say that the "goodness" he is offering... well... nevermind.

However, my advice to you is utilize the 3 D's... deny, deny, deny.

Dear Awaiting, I know little about Bitters and Esters, other than it takes a frigging hour for me to get there. I will ask around amongst my Williamsburg friends, but they were probably there long before it got cool.

As for Spitzer's concubine, why did you have to bring up one of the worst days in a New York Democrat's life? :-(. Now there's a guy Id like to put in a room with Beyonce... and hit them both with a salmon.

I just want to show my displeasure without doing actual harm. I'm actually quite pro-gun believe it or not, I just think everyone should have a flintlock musket. "Come back here I say! You're a dead man once I get this flashpan primed!"

Creamy - "Coats & Clark" is a thread company - hence my confusion with your favorite "thread"

images

Nah, I'm just pretty sure I'm correct on this one. I've loaded and fired a flintlock before, and if one had to go through that process they would probably forget why they were pissed off to begin with before they got around to squeezing off a shot.

In all seriousness though, I'm less liberal than most liberals when it comes to that particular issue, but thats for another forum.
You'd hate me then! ;)

Dear Creamy,

Sometimes late at night I scream out the names of characters from the movie Watership Down.

How do I convince my wife this is all a ruse and I don't actually intend to hurt imaginary rabbits?

Dear TxBrew,

Night Terrors are no laughing matter, unless you make them funny. This could be a blessing in disguise, as those who have been diagnosed with night terrors are able to get away with all manner of bad behavior if it is thought that their malfeasance came about during such an episode. For instance, I sometimes turn my socks into nunchuks and hit my fiance over the head with them while singing "God save the Queen." When else would I have the opportunity? Your mileage may vary.

Aggressively yours ~Creamy Goodness

Dear CreamyGoodness,

Nobody properly informed me that things wouldn't always be like they were when I was in my early twenties! I used to heal from things quickly, I had a lot fewer responsibilities, far more disposable income and more time for beer.

I need to know who I can sue to correct this most egregious injustice!

Also, any good casserole recipes involving spent grain?

Sincerely,

Ungracefully Aging in Charleston

Dear Aging,

When casting blame and demanding restitution it is always best to look to the source. One's parents. While we all imagine that our parents are to be loved and respected for giving us life and raising us, we never think about the realities, such as the fact that most of us were conceived after 1 too many vodka cranberries and 20 minutes of begging in the back of a Chevette. I applaud your initiative, but have to warn you that your litigation appears to be without precedant. Best of luck to you.

As for spent grain, why not add to a baked beef stew thickened with stout and arrowroot?

Stewingly yours ~Creamy Goodness

Dear Frank,

Again, I think you are looking for the Creamy Goodness at Penthouse Forum.

Urine the wrong forum ~Creamy Goodness

Dear CreamyGoodness,
I was at the grocery store the other day and was appalled at the price of Natural Ice Light. I can understand paying so much for San Pellegrino, but only because it comes from the Italian Alps. What spring does Natural Ice Light come from to make it so expensive?

Dear Erroneous,

NEVER mistake the word "Natural" for "pleasant." In biology, the "water cycle" refers to water that falls in the form of rain, is consumed by animals, is then excreted in the form of urine, only to exaporate into the atmosphere. Rinse, repeat. I would explain more fully, but I spent most of Biology class ogling this one girl whose name I have since forgotten. She was blonde and wore knee socks a lot. But I digress.

In essence, Natural Light is exactly what you think it is. Recycled caveman urine. This is natural, somewhat impressive, and as such, more expensive than say... Mio water enhancer. This doesnt imply that drinking caveman piss is pleasant, just somewhat valuable and labor intensive. I suggest purchasing another fine commercial beerfood product and refrain from putting too much stock in the word "Natural" in the future.

Unnaturally yours,
Creamy Goodness

Back