I think I underpitched

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chew

Reaction score
I brewed up an IPA last weekend, and the OG ended up on the high side, 1.072. I was shooting for 1.062 (at least that's what BeerSmith told me). Anyway, I didn't RDWHAHB. Instead of stopping and weighing my options, I pitched a single pack of US-05 (on the warm side, approx. 80 degrees, to boot). Things slowly got going over the next 24 hours or so, with a thin Krausen forming and some airlock activity if I pressed on the lid. By Wednesday, the Krausen had already fallen, and the beer seemed to have cleared a bit. The airlock was still bubbling away, but the main event seemed to be over. On Friday I took an SG reading, and it showed things had progressed some, but it was still way up there at 1.050. I tried giving the bucket a swirl (lid on, no chance of oxidation), to wake up the yeasties, but to no avail. Subsequent hydrometer checks yesterday and today weren't much better, a couple points down each time. The airlock is still doing its thing as we speak. Soooo, what to do? Ride it out, or re-pitch?

If I re-pitch I only have a couple options (neither ideal), because the local HBS is online, and miles away: 1) I have a second pack of US-05, BUT it feels soft and almost mushy. I suspect it may be NFG. How do you proof it? 2) I have a 1056 smack pack in the fridge (which froze on its way here). I could get a starter up and running, and re-pitch in a few days, providing the little guys survived the freezing. Or maybe if I go with this option, I should just smack it, and pour it in, to avoid over-pitching?

Or maybe I should just back away from the ledge and wait a bit...

Any thoughts?

Choices:

1)Pitch the US-05 in the fridge. Rehydrate it first in ~100 degree water for 15 minutes, then pitch.

2) Smack that 1056, let it sit for 24 hours, then pitch.

3) Dump out the beer and try again.

Options are listed in order of preference.

Edited: Either way, you should familiarize yourself with Mr Malty's Pitching Calculator to avoid future SNAFUs like this. :mug:

If the gravity is falling then it is fermenting, If it doesnt fall for 2+ Days then its stuck and you will need to pitch another s-05

Just be patient until the gravity stops dropping. Maybe move the fermenter to a warmer location if you have to do something.

So gravity is dropping and the airlock is bubbling? "The airlock is still doing its thing as we speak" Wait it out then, its sounds perfectly normal. Am I right guys?

I'd go one step further... You brewed last weekend. So put that hydrometer down, put the primary out of sight, and wait another 1-2 weeks before you check it again. Then see where your SG is and if it is still dropping. Everything you've said here sounds like the beer is still fermenting...

I'd go one step further... You brewed last weekend. So put that hydrometer down, put the primary out of sight, and wait another 1-2 weeks before you check it again. Then see where your SG is and if it is still dropping. Everything you've said here sounds like the beer is still fermenting...

I agree with this, you're worrying way too early IMO.

Back