I think I started a bad kegging habit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McTarnamins

Reaction score
I didn't have time to clean a keg for my latest batch of IPA. However, I did just blow foam on my Oktoberfest a day previous and it was still sealed and purged with CO2. So I just openend the Oktoberfest keg, swished with Idophor sanatizer to get rid if the trub and then transferred in the IPA. No the most sterile process, but I don't know why this wouldn't work in a time pinch.

I don't expect any issues, but still not a good habid to get into.

Cheers,

don't do what i did and leave two faucet lines empty, but full of beer foam/co2 for a few months... you are left with dried disaster!!

as to the keg, you are probably fine, especially if the blown keg tasted fine.

I'd agree that while this may not be best practice, you'll probably be fine. I however, wouldn't do it more than once otherwise you'll have a lot of gunk in that keg.

When my keg blows foam, I just open it, fill up a gallon pitcher of water and turn the gas back on and run that gallon of water out through the tap and beer lines, to swish the left over out. Working good so far.

Then I will fill keg with idophore, pressurize run it through the lines to sanitize for a few minutes, dump that out and siphon my beer in.

When my keg blows foam, I just open it, fill up a gallon pitcher of water and turn the gas back on and run that gallon of water out through the tap and beer lines, to swish the left over out. Working good so far.

Then I will fill keg with idophore, pressurize run it through the lines to sanitize for a few minutes, dump that out and siphon my beer in.

I like the way your think. I'll try filling with the idophore and running that through the lines before I refill if I have to do that again. It was all a matter of timing for me otherwise I wouldn't have filled without a proper clean. I did do a shake rinse with Idophore.

Plus it takes a lot of off flavor to get past my 75 IBU IPA. It tasked great going into the keg and I had a little left over to bottle condition a Liter flip top.

Cheers all!

I do this constantly, I'm just too lazy to bother with the full sanitizing process for cheap beers going into kegs that just had cheap beer in them.

Back