I think I over carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swmalone

Reaction score
I don't have a place to keep my keg cold so I have placed it in my cold storage. I think that it might be colder in there than I thought. I thought it was 65 turns out it is closer to 65. I had my CO2 set for the 10 degree higher temps. I vented the keg, reduced the PSI to 10, hooked up a picnic tap with 4' hose and got a glass full of foam.

What is the best way to handle this? Do I need to just continually vent and let the beer go flat and recarb? Is there a way to put reduced pressure on it and it will eventually equalize?

I would appreciate learning from your experience and wisdom.

Thanks.

I don't have a place to keep my keg cold so I have placed it in my cold storage. I think that it might be colder in there than I thought. I thought it was 65 turns out it is closer to 65. I had my CO2 set for the 10 degree higher temps. I vented the keg, reduced the PSI to 10, hooked up a picnic tap with 4' hose and got a glass full of foam.

What is the best way to handle this? Do I need to just continually vent and let the beer go flat and recarb? Is there a way to put reduced pressure on it and it will eventually equalize?

I would appreciate learning from your experience and wisdom.

Thanks.

Warmer beer will foam, and with a 4' serving hose, it'll be like using a fire hose to serve it. It may not be overcarbed, but instead foamy.

Without really knowing if the beer is overcarbed, warm, or foamy due to the short serving line it's hard to say, but my bet is that it's warmer than fridge temps and the serving line is WAY too short to provide enough restriction due to the warmer temperature.

Thanks. I will try placing the keg in a garbage can of ice and hooking it up to my jockey box set up. I will see if that works better tomorrow. I was just wanting to test it out before the weekend.

You were correct it was not over carbonated. In fact it is pretty much right on. I ran it through my jockey box, so longer lines and colder temperature and it came out great.

Back