I think I need a translater!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyderturbo

Reaction score
I'm new to this, so it might be a long post filled with stupid questions......:eek:

I just made my first homebrew on Sunday and I'm looking to fill my fermenter next week when I move the brew to the secondary. Damn, I think I'm addicted to this already and I haven't even tasted my first homebrew. :p

Anyway, the brew from Sunday was a prepackaged deal that was pretty much idiot proof. Dump this bag in now and this bag in later, blah, blah. Since it was so simple, I'm assuming that the beer is going to taste a little bland, but what the hell, you have to start somewhere. I was looking into a hefe recipe for my next batch and I found one here:

http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes/recipes/Hefe-Weizen Beer.htm

I'm confused......go figure. :D Does anyone know of a Hefe recipe that is step by step and created for the person that has no clue what to do. Such as,

1.) Go to the store and buy the following.....
2.) Add "this" and "this: to the brewpot and boil for X minutes.
3.) Add "this" and "whatever" and transfer to the fermenter
4.) Do "this" with the yeast and then store at X degrees for 1 week.
5.) Etc, etc.

The recipe I linked to above just looks pretty intimidating and seems to be designed for someone that knows the basic method and just needs help with the ingredents. I seem to need help with the method. I am familiar with the methodology surrounding use of the prepackaged ingrediants, but the use of grains, liquid yeast and yeast nutrients is what I am unfamiliar with.

Thanks!

Well.. it CLAIMS to be partial mash, but I don't see a single kernel of grain in the ingredients.

Then again, in the mash details section, it claims 10 lbs of grain.

In short: this recipe was submitted by someone who wasn't paying much attention. I'd follow the link that BeeGee provided instead.

Baron von BeeGee said:
That recipe is for a partial mash...doesn't sound like you're ready for that yet. Check out this thread for some extract based recipes:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3182&highlight=hefeweizen+recipe

reading over the recipe again... I'd steer clear of it completely. The author seems to have had his head up his butt.

It says partial mash, lists no grain in the ingredients, lists 10 lbs of grain in the mash profile, claims nearly 5 gallons of sparge water, yet the brewer is working with a 4 gallon pot and only boiling 3.25 gallons.

He was smoking crack.

-walker

Wow, I'm glad you guys are here to help, or I would have been following in a crack head's footsteps. Which is definately NOT what I want to be doing. :)

I see that in post #3 El Pistolero has a recipe that is later said to be as easy as an extract only recipe by Walker-san.

Could anyone expand on what I would need to do to make that recipe.

If I would have to guess I would say the following:

1.) Heat water to 150 degrees and add Belgian Malt, and Acid Malt and cook for ??? minutes

2.) Bring to a boil and add Muntons Malt Extract and 2 1/4 oz. Malto Dextrin.

3.) Bring back to a boil and add 1oz American Hallertauer and boil for 55 minutes.

4.) Add Spalt & Perle hops and turn off heat. Wait 5 minutes, cool quickly and add to water in fermenter.

5.) When cooled to 70 degrees, add White Labs #WLP300 yeast.

6.) Ferment at 68 - 72 degrees for about 7 days and transfer to secondary fermenter.

7.) Allow to sit in secondary for about 1 week and then transfer to bottles.

8.) Allow to sit for about 2 - 3 week for carbonation.

Questions I have.....

How long do you steep the malt?

Where does the 1 1/2 cup Muntons Dry Extract come into play?? I see it listed 2 times?

Is the White Labs WLP300 yeast pitchable, or would I have to do anything special with it before I use it?

How do you know how much corn syrup to add?

Thanks!!!

Baron von BeeGee said:
My bad, spyderturbo, I actually pasted the wrong link. It's the right information and works fine, but the thread I meant to paste was:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6941&highlight=ahead

Look at the 7th post, the one by Janx. Read the whole thread, too ;)

Thanks Baron von BeeGee.......both are really good links. It looks as though I am beginning to understand how some of this works. Seems like brewing beer follows the same learning curve as playing poker. Relatively easy to learn but it takes a lifetime to master. :p

I think I might go with the first recipe you linked to, just because I have to admit that Franziskaner is one of my favorite beers.

Do I have the steps in the correct order in my post above? Any suggestions related to the questions I had?

Thanks again for everyone's help.......I am very impressed with the level of knowledge you guys / gals have. :cool: I think I'll be sticking around for awhile.

Spyderturbo said:
Do I have the steps in the correct order in my post above?

The steps look fine. Just be sure that after cooking your grains (for 30 to 60 minutes), you remove them before bringing the liquid to a boil.

-walker

Spyderturbo said:
Where does the 1 1/2 cup Muntons Dry Extract come into play?? I see it listed 2 times?

How do you know how much corn syrup to add?
The 1.5c DME should only come in once. It is used to prime the batch for bottling. Alternatively, you could use 1c corn sugar (normally 3/4c would suffice, but this is a fizzy Hefeweizen). You use one or the other, but not both.

Back