I think I mashed too long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir-Hops-A-Lot

Reaction score
hey guys,
I'm looking for some expert advice
I had some trouble hitting mash temps
I did the protein rest for too long (133 for 1 hour)
and got a beta rest instead of an alpha rest (146 for 90 mins)
I'm concerned that my wort will be much too fermentable
I'm thinking of adding some malt extract
https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/palmers-pilsner-pivo
Any thoughts?

You probably made a very fermentable wort, as you mentioned. If that's not what you want, consider steeping some Carapils or light crystal malt to add some dextrines. Or add some maltodextrin. You could also just roll with it, take notes, and decide later on if you like it or if you need to make adjustments.

Sure, why not...

Well, I could go either way. My curiosity would be inclined to let it be and see what I end up with, knowing that it will likely finish pretty dry and short on body. On the other hand, some DME and maltodextrin powder could go a long way to add back some body and head retention.

Just guessing here, but to employ a protein rest, I assume you used pilsner malt in the recipe. An hour long protein rest will affect the quality of the beers head. But, for all of that, I am inclined to believe the advice the above posters have said and just rock with it. I say that because dry beers are my favorites. :D

ok. good advice. Waiting is always best.
Yes it was pilsner malt. Weyermann's Bohemian Pilsner malt.

Plenty of people mash in the high 140s and call it a day. Pilsners are supposed to be dry anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it, and would ferment it as is. If you ferment down to 1.007 instead of 1.012 or something, you *might* notice a difference comparing similar brews side-by-side, but I doubt it. It certainly won't ferment down to 0.997 or something the way an apple wine or champagne will, so I wouldn't worry. It'll be good!

It's not the 90 mins at 148 that I was concerned about, it was the hour spent at about 133.

I think it will be a tasty beer as-is.

The long protein rest will not hurt the sach rest - the low temps are not hurting the other enzymes.

The long mash at 148 will make a relatively dry beer. But that's not a bad thing. I love a dry lager. Let it ride. I bet you'll like it.

I transferred the batch into bottles today. Tastes awesome. My brewing partner also transferred his 5G and reports a very good taste.
Thanks for the input. I'm glad that I didn't try to modify it.

Latest posts

Back