I think I am going to try this....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryolla

Reaction score
This is going to be my second batch. A hefeweizen in a 6 gallon better bottle in a cabinet incubator to control temps set at 64 degrees. I got the following idea from watching how stuff works about beer and when kreusen(sp) forms it creates a barrier. I am going to put an airlock on and when the kreusen starts to increase I am going to take it off and the stopper and when it goes back down sanatize the stopper and airlock and put it back in. I chose a carboy instead of a bucket was due to the size of the opening. I don't have to worry about a blow off tube or a big mess for me to clean another reason why I chose a cabinet incubator just in case it explodes it will be contained in it and not be all over the room. I only have to clean up the mess from the kreusen falling on the outside of the carboy. Fron watching how stuff works I thought it would be cool watching all that kreusen form and spill over the side.

I was going to bottle my first batch this sunday but I don't have enough bottles I need another 1/2 case so maybe this weekend I can drink enough. Most of my buddies drink cans or twist offs.

Then for my third batch if my second batch is good is going to be a partial mash maybe in the oven or crock pot if the temps can get that high. That is going to be my extent into brewing beer no AG for me too much equipment time, and variables in order to make an outstanding beer plus I am still studying for my Cisco CCIE

Cisco CCIE and beer do not mix!

I hope the beer does not get infected during the time when you have the air lock off...

I watched that episode of how stuff works (drinking home brew whilst) and I thought I noticed they had an air purification system setup in the room where they do the open fermentation. It was not completely open, like lambic barn yard fermentation. I'm not clear what the benefit is from risking infection.

PROST!

If your goal is to avoid using a blow-off tube, simply opening the fermenter by removing the airlock won't actually accomplish much. Regardless of whether you have an airlock, blow-off tube, or nothing on your carboy, that hefeweizen is going to have a high probability of blowing off and out of your carboy.

Blow-offs are bad because they tend to expel the proteins that are responsible for head retention in your beer. Try using foam control drops if you want to manage blow-offs. They work like magic, and they will also protect your head retention.

I think studying for CCIE exam and beer do mix. After a long 8 hour lab a few home brews sounds good or when you get stuck on how to implement a solution to said problem step back and have a home brew and hopefully the answer will pop up. I don't think trying to learn AG and perfecting it mixes with CCIE studying as both takes up a lot of your time but I digress.

I don't think you run the risk of infection as long as you put the airlock back on at the right moment right when you see the kraeusen receding and hopefully still have activity in the airlock afterwards maybe after day 2 or 3. I think with a gallon of head room for the kraeusen in the carboy is sufficient. This is just an experiment and I am still a noob so I wanted to try it out but if anybody thinks this is definitely a dump idea or if anybody else would like I am open to suggestions. Maybe I should split the batch and put them in 3 gallon better bottles and see if there is a difference between the 2 hmmmm

This time of year is probably ok for attempting this (although I still wouldn't risk the batch) but in spring/summer/fall, the biggest risk would be from fruitflies and stuff like that turning your beer into vinegar.

Infection isn't much of a risk if you use an airlock and/or blow off tube, but it's a real risk if you choose not to.

What is the benefit of doing this? I say go for it if you want, but what are you trying to achieve?

What is the benefit of doing this? I say go for it if you want, but what are you trying to achieve?

nothing spectacular just saw open fermentation on how stuff works and wanted to try it out. Im kinda weird like that I guess

Brew like a monk mentioned open vs. closed fermentation, and I believe they said one could put a sheet over the pail to have a similar result.

I don't recall what the benefits were of open vs. closed fermentation, but some Belgian breweries thought there was a difference.

Latest posts

Back