I Smell a Copyright Battle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see your point but that would be trademark, not copyright. I think Better Bottle.com folks have a slam dunk anyways since they've already registered it. Even if it wasn't, they could easily prove prior use.

I see your point but that would be trademark, not copyright. I think Better Bottle.com folks have a slam dunk anyways since they've already registered it. Even if it wasn't, they could easily prove prior use.

Actually they have a trademark on the stylized form of the two words sharing a large capital B, not the two words "Better Bottle".

Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)

Taken from their footer

Better-Bottle, BetterBottle, SimpleFlo, and DryTrap are trademarks of High-Q, Inc.

None of these are registered. These unregistered trademarks can be used to protect against misrepresentation, but it doesn't look like CamelBak is trying to sell a bottle for fermenting wine or beer. They don't offer the wider protection offered by those that are registered.

Paul

then why is it represented as BetterBottle® on everything I thought the little r means registered trademark

Got me. Here is the registration that begins with the attached image:

Word Mark BETTER BOTTLE
Goods and Services IC 021. US 002 013 023 029 030 033 040 050. G & S: Bottles, sold empty. FIRST USE: 20030509. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20030509
Mark Drawing Code (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM
Serial Number 76513775
Filing Date May 13, 2003
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition December 19, 2006
Registration Number 3214438
Registration Date March 6, 2007
Owner (REGISTRANT) Gibbs, Erich L. INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 112 Hollywood Wilmette ILLINOIS 60091
Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "BOTTLE" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

BetterBottle.gif

Truth is, most food grade plastics are going BPA free nowadays, just because of the scare. Pretty soon you'll be able to find better bottle sized bottles for cheaper....I've heard a few water companies are already offering them for about $15 or so. As a consumer, I'm just looking for the cheapest bottle that meets my criteria. Frankly, the bottle itself is what's important to me, the ported better bottles look cool, but their prices for all the extra better bottle exclusive parts are crazy expensive. I mean, just look at the dry airlocks....they cost nearly what the bottle does!

From the looks of that registration information copied above, our fermenter-making friends only have a registration for the logo in the attached image and not for the mark "BETTER BOTTLE" in any use. That means that the other mark would have to be confusing in some way other than the fact that it contains "better" and "bottle" in it.

If the drinking vessel folks are putting the "®" symbol after their mark without a registration, they are doing so improperly and misrepresenting a registration. They need to stick with "TM" after their mark unless and until they receive a registration.

TL

Back