I screwed up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbapoindexter

Reaction score
Help I totally screwed up with my grain bill for jamil's english barleywine from Brewing Classic Styles. For specialty grains it calls for CaraMunich 60L and I accidentally purchased crystal 60L and its crushed and ready to brew on Monday. Will this totally screw up the beer?
This is my first barleywine and I'm new to all grain and it took me a while to save up to buy all the grain.

What do I do?

Don't sweat it, they are pretty similar. Both being crystal 60L malts. This gets into nuances of brewing as far as malt bill selection goes that might make the difference between good and great as you fine tune a recipe.

Thanks guys! I am not creative in any way. I am more of a recipe kinda guy. I hope someday that I can creat my own recipe but I don't know when that would ever happen.
Thanks again for the reassurance. I was thinking it was ruined and I would end up throwing it away.

Thanks guys! I am not creative in any way. I am more of a recipe kinda guy. I hope someday that I can creat my own recipe but I don't know when that would ever happen.
Thanks again for the reassurance. I was thinking it was ruined and I would end up throwing it away.

The more you brew the more you learn about what the different characteristics various ingredients bring. Keep brewing and you will get there.

You need to move at least 100 miles from the nearest shop that has a mill for you to use. By necessity you will be milling your own grains and will have to order weeks ahead so all your grains are going to be there when you want to brew. If you don't want to pay the extra shipping for a small amount of grain, you will keep a stock of grains and someday you will find yourself short of a grain and have to learn what to substitute. That is the first step at becoming a creative brewer. Most beer recipes lend themselves to some substitution. For instance, I like to brew a beer that calls for biscuit malt but in a pinch, Victory malt is very close to the same.

This could become a very happy accident. The slight difference in grains could make it better. I'll be interested to know, way down the road, how this turns out. Have been thinking if creating my own recipe for a barley wine.

Back