i planted a rhizome and i think i may have been growing weeds for 3 weeks :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlg5039

Reaction score
Here is a pic I snapped this morning. I planted a brewers gold rhizome from Austin homebrew about a month ago. After a week or two, these two sprouts shot up. Yesterday I was browsing some picture threads and realizes they don't look like hops. Verify please.

Mike

ForumRunner_20110518_082037.jpg

Nope.

Did you plant your rhizomes too deep? I made that mistake with my Cascade, and had to dig up and re-plant.

Yeah, I have to agree. Those aren't hops.

Like ao125 mentioned, if you planted more than an inch or two deep, you may want to carefully dig it up. If you did plant it shallow, carefully remove the dirt to see if you have anything sprouting. A month in TX should have been enough time for something to pop up by now.

Yooper sent me a pair of Hallertau this spring and I planted them less than 2 inches about a week ago and I have shoots up already.

I'd carefully dig in there and see what's up. Also, they need plenty of water, but drained well.

I planted about an inch deep. Plenty of water, lots of drainage holes in the bucket. I dug up the rhizome and no sprouts :-(

I planted about an inch deep. Plenty of water, lots of drainage holes in the bucket. I dug up the rhizome and no sprouts :-(

Rhizomes are like seeds, in that some are duds and there's no way of knowing that when you plant them. If nothing sprouts then I would contact AHS, I'm sure they would make it right.

My hops have been in the ground just about 2 weeks now and i'm starting to think that i've got some duds also.

I may just dig them up to see whats going on this weekend.......ugh!

It looks like they're planted 'sideways'. If you can rig up a deal where the bucket is straight up and down they'll probably come up for you. (yuk yuk)

Just roll the bucket around and loosen up the soil so you can see if anything is sprouting. If so, leave them be - if not try to give them another week or so.

my hops have been in the ground for about two weeks and they are coming up, it shouldnt take to long.

They were planted in some topsoil mixed with compost comprised of manure, spent grains, and leaves.

Back