1st Year Growth, only 1 Bine ' from each Rhizome Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CentralNJBrew

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I finally tried my hand at Hop growing this year, and it seems fairly successful (so far). I knew nothing when I started in early May. Just monkey see, monkey do.

HopGrowth1.jpg

I planted a Cascade, Centennial, Willamette, and Chinook rhizomes.

It seems 1 bine, as you see in the above picture, for each rhizome, has taken off. My cascade is now 8 feet tall, which I did not expect in this first year, and I'm practically out of room on my trellis (but that is another conversation).

My biggest question is it seems each rhizome has another bine that only sprouted out a few inches, and it is not moving, while it's 'twin' is taking off. Is this normal?

HopGrowth2.jpg

Please note, this above pic is when my cascade started sprouting. There were two sprouts like this. One sprout took off. One close by that isn't in the picture, hasn't. And that is common for all 4 of my varieties.

Just note, I accidentally pressed the keyboard, and it 1) messed with my forum title and 2) sent my post out. Now I can't edit the title. Just the kind of stuff that seems to happen to me on a computer.

I'm by no means an expert, having planted hops years ago on a whim before I ever thought of getting into brewing.
What I recall though is the same as your garden. Sparse, "short" single bines. The first year was weak in growth, but each successive year expect more and more
to the point where your trellis will be overwhelmed!

I planted 3 different rhyzomes last year. Only the Cascade produced cones. The Fuggles and Crystal, 2 or 3 less than impressive bines. The second year and beyond, is where it's at. These are my second year. I have since planted 7 other varieties and they are single bines. They are building root stock.
IMG_20180704_070624-01.jpeg

Back