I need to go cheap on my mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltG

Reaction score
Ok. Here's the deal. I can't spend a lot of money. I picked up a round 5 gallon cooler at a thrift store. Can just put in a spigot and use my old biab bag instead of a false bottom/manifold?

I don't see why not... but then you're just basically doing BIAB in a cooler.

Why transfer it (unless your kettle is too small to begin with)?

But I don't see why the cooler wouldn't work for you.

I can more easily sparge in the cooler. I was using a rectangular mash tun but understand round is better. I do have some cpvc, might do something with that.

I can more easily sparge in the cooler. I was using a rectangular mash tun but understand round is better. I do have some cpvc, might do something with that.

A round MLT isn't intrinsically better. It has more to do with the lautering method. For fly sparging, a false bottom in a round cooler is best as it minimizes channelling, but for batch sparging or no-sparge, a rectangular cooler works just fine.

If you're using a bag for your grain, you don't need a false bottom but you may wish to have a diptube that reaches the bottom of the cooler to help pick up every last bit of wort in there.

I use a round cooler with a bag instead of falsebottom/screen.
I added a 90 degree elbow that I orient towards the bottom of the cooler.
Can't say if its really better, but if the sparge gets stuck all I have to do is pull up on the bag.

Couldn't hurt trying a SS screen, pretty cheap from the big home improvement stores. It is all I have used so far for all grain and have gotten up to 80% efficiency batch sparging.

Even if using manifold was thinking mesh bag just cuz cleanup is easier

A round MLT isn't intrinsically better. It has more to do with the lautering method. For fly sparging, a false bottom in a round cooler is best as it minimizes channelling, but for batch sparging or no-sparge, a rectangular cooler works just fine.

If you're using a bag for your grain, you don't need a false bottom but you may wish to have a diptube that reaches the bottom of the cooler to help pick up every last bit of wort in there.

I wouldn't even bother with a dip tube. When you drain the mash tun, tilt it until you get most of the first runnings out, then sparge. Drain what you can, pull out the bag of grains for disposal, and then just pick up the nearly empty cooler and dump it.

^^
Exactly. We often make the simple things complex in brewing. My last batch was done in exactly the above manner, mashed in a bag inside a 5 gallon cooler. Drained bag by suspending it and tying it to one of the cooler handles; did this while the majority of the runnings was coming up to a boil. Tilted the cooler to get most of the liquid out, then took the bag away, and poured the last bit into the kettle.

Since you already have the CPVC, you can spend the extra $5 to buy the fittings to build a manifold. I use 3/32" holes in mine and the vorlauf is clear.

http://imperialhops.blogspot.com/2015/02/now-for-what-is-possibly-easiest-mod.html

Scroll down to get to the manifold build. Of course, this is if you are putting a valve into the cooler. If not, the bag sounds perfect.

Even if using manifold was thinking mesh bag just cuz cleanup is easier

I totally disagree with this statement. Without the bag I just dump the tun into the compost pile, spray the tun out with the garden hose, done in 2 minutes. It takes a lot longer to get all the grains off the mesh bag.

Get one of these:

6498a29e-c9d4-435d-9ad7-37e9154bc331_300.jpg

About $5 at HD and a hose clamp. Saw off the ends, remove the tubing inside, close one end. I used a nylon nut and bolt and hose clamp the other end on the valve.

I totally disagree with this statement. Without the bag I just dump the tun into the compost pile, spray the tun out with the garden hose, done in 2 minutes. It takes a lot longer to get all the grains off the mesh bag.

Get one of these:

About $5 at HD and a hose clamp. Saw off the ends, remove the tubing inside, close one end. I used a nylon nut and bolt and hose clamp the other end on the valve.

This. Cleaning all of the tiny grain particles out of a grain bag is tedious. Its so much easier to pick up my mash tun and dump it into my yard and spread around post brew. Just my .02

Get one of these:

I just dump the bag, turn it inside out and shake it, turn it right side in again and rinse it in the sink. Any grain particle that stick after that can just stay since this is on the hot side and will be pasteurized in the boil. I brew in the winter and if I move the empty garden hose it cracks because it isn't rated for -30.

I just dump the bag, turn it inside out and shake it, turn it right side in again and rinse it in the sink. Any grain particle that stick after that can just stay since this is on the hot side and will be pasteurized in the boil. I brew in the winter and if I move the empty garden hose it cracks because it isn't rated for -30.

I did this once and I guess I left a little too much because it really started to smell. I threw that bag away.

Right now I am dealing with the bag because I don't want to brew outside in the cold. 3 gallon BIAB batches on the stovetop.

Add me to the Mash in a Bag camp. Cleaning is easy too. I don't have a compost pile (I live in a townhouse), so I empty the grain into a plastic grocery store bag, turn the grain bag inside out, rinse until the water runs clear and then hang it up to completely dry. Any stray grain husks will fall right off the bag once it's dry if you shake it like a rug a few times.

Cleaning grains out of a bag is tedious?

Invert bag, dump grains, spray, let dry, shake dust off.

As far as tedium goes, I'd think a stuck sparge would rank higher than having to wash a 12" x 18" piece of cloth. Takes me literally 2 minutes to get it "good enough" clean.

Yeah really.

Once it dries, just "pop" it like you did with a towel in gym class to your friends a few times and all the dried bit come off.

60% of the time, it works every time!!

It's hard to get the friends from the gym class to come over so I can pop the grain bag at them since I did it with the towel too many times in gym class. :D:fro:

I batch sparge with a rectangular cooler as a mash tun and I frequently get 80% efficiency, nothign wrong with it.

Also. Tried a temp loss temp with just water. Lost 8 degrees over an hour. Do you lose less with mash vs water?

Kev. It's where the pipe comes through the grommet. I'll I don't think I lose more than a pint over an hour.

Wilser. I tried another hour with a heavy blanket over the lid and lost nothing .

Now...any tips on batch sparing with this? 1 or 2 steps? Etc

I would strike and mash with around 60% of your total water, and sparge the remaining 40%, with losses to grain absorption this will put your 1st and 2nd runnings close to being equal volumes.

Kev. It's where the pipe comes through the grommet. I'll I don't think I lose more than a pint over an hour.

Wilser. I tried another hour with a heavy blanket over the lid and lost nothing .

Now...any tips on batch sparing with this? 1 or 2 steps? Etc

Ohhhh. Never mind then. Ya, I'd try silicone. In the mean time... Duct tap :D

I usually batch sparge in 2 steps. I know it varies from person to person, but I find my efficiency increases when I double batch sparge

well 1st try with this new setup. Even after stirring 3x during the mash I only lost about 2 degrees and my efficiency was 75.53%.

So all in all I'm happy with it.

Also it drained like a dream.

Well mash efficiency showed 75. Brewhouse was more like 65. Any idea why? Only variance was I lost a bit more to trub that I thought I would.

Here is the recipe

All Grain Version*

Beer Style: Blonde Ale

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons

Original Gravity: 1.040

Final Gravity: 1.008

Bitterness: 21.5 IBU

Boiling Time: 60 Minutes

Color: 3.9 SRM

Alcohol: 4.2% ABV

Ingredients

7.00 lbs. Pale Malt (2 Row) US

0.75 lb. Cara-Pils/Dextrine

0.50 lb. Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L

0.50 lb. Vienna Malt

0.25 oz. Centennial (9.50%) boil for 55 min

0.25 oz. Centennial (9.50%) boil for 35 min

0.25 oz. Cascade (7.80%) boil for 20 min

0.25 oz. Cascade (7.80%) boil for 5 min

Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast

Directions

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes. Sparge with 175F water to create enough wort to reach 5.5 gallons after the boil. Boil and add hops according to the schedule above. Chill to 68 degrees and pitch the yeast.*

Mashed with about 3 gallons at about 151. Only lost 1 degree on mash. Sparged with 2 3 gallon batch sparge which have me just under 7 gallons with a gravity of 1.035. After boil I ended with a little over 5 gal at 1.041.

Back