I need help with my Belgian triple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradneal

Reaction score
I just finished a Carmilite Belgian Triple. After it aging it for several months, I put in the keg and ran the pressure up to 34 lbs for 2 days, bled the excess C02 off, brought it back down to 12 lbs, and after a week sampled my first glass. It was awesome! But... after a few more weeks the beer really changed. It became a little flat, and that big creamy flavor and mouth feel that usually accompanies a Carmilite Belgian Triple had dissipated. Any ideas what may be going on?

The beer does not taste bad, it just tastes different, and not like a triple. Could it be that the this beer requires a higher carbonation rate than other beers?

Thanks,
Brad

Usually a tripel should be carbed at 3-4 volumes. So, if you are carbing it through a CO2 tank and at 40F you would want the regulator set between 20-30 psi according to the force carbing charts. 12psi would only be 2.4 volumes. Give the higher pressure a shot for a week or two and see if it improves.

For tripels or anything else that requires larger than about 2.5 volumes I let it naturally carb at the higher rate while aging then just serve at 10-12psi. Might not be the most proper way to serve but it is a good work around if you don't have multiple regulators.

Belgians can be tricky. Brew Like A Monk is a great book if you haven't already read it.

Thanks, Tony. I'll give that a try. And thanks for the tip on the book!! Carmilite Triple is one of my favorite beers, so I really want to figure this out. I almost didn't keg it and the next batch may wind up bottled.

Another thing I noticed is that it has lost the cloudiness of a traditional tipple as well. It is now almost crystal clear.

No problem. Hopefully it will continue to get better with age.

As for the cloudiness I'm not quite sure what to tell you since 99% of the time people are trying to get rid of the cloudiness. My tripels have all been relatively clear. My first thought is yeast, maybe try a different strain. Also, for belgians you need to ferment a little warmer. Usually start around 65 and let it rise to about 75 over a week. Some people insist that 80-90 degrees makes the beer even better but I don't have any personal experience doing that. You could try adding a different type of sugar, maybe in the fermenter instead of the boil (if that is what you used). If you use Irish Moss or another clarification agent just leave it out next time.

Try posting your recipe/process and see if someone with more experience can help you out.

Hmmm... wasn't aware of the warmer fermentation requirements for the Belgians (this my first Belgian). I pretty much left it at 65-67 throughout.

As for recipe, it's just a PM kit from NB and can be found on their website.

Thanks,
Brad

i just put this same pm in my secondary fermenter friday. it was pretty cloudy which i figure will clear some by the time it sets for the 2 months in the secondary. should i rack it a second time, say in a month or just leave it. I also bottle everything so it will settle some in the bottles. the waiting is the worst part, i want to know how it turns out but will have to wait.

I wouldn't rack it a 3rd time. Just leave it alone and your patience will reward you mightaly!

And don't worry about cloudy triple - it will be awesome!

Back