I need help with a blackberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redcloud511

Reaction score
I'm planning a 3 gallon batch of full body blackberry wine and I have a 96 ounce can vintners harvest blackberry wine base and a 48 once can of vintners harvest blackberry puree. My question is should I place both cans in the primary fermentation or reserve the puree for the secondary after stabilizing? I'm really trying to get a rich blackberry flavor out of this batch and would like to get that flavor out of the fruit rather than an extract or commercial flavoring. I just joined your group here and would be grateful for any help anyone could offer.

hi redcloud511 - and welcome. I have never made the VH blackberry but I have made wines from some of their other juices. My suggestion would be to work with the juice and taste it to see if you need to add any puree. At 3 gallons I would think that this will make a flavor rich wine without any need for the puree.... but you may disagree and view the flavor as too thin for what you are wanting...

Thanks for your suggestions Bernard, I'm almost unwilling to admit to a group of fine wine makes like what we have here, but what I am trying to get to is a manischewitz blackberry profile like wine. my mother loves that stuff and if you haven't ever tasted this cheap brand its blackberry times 10 in flavor.

Try some artificial blackberry flavoring (which is no doubt what they use) to sweeten it up at the end. You know, the little 2oz bottles of flavoring.

Back