I mix matched my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walexander

Reaction score
I was brewing two types of extract beers When it came time to pitch the yeast I mismatched the two strains I used a Nottingham Ale yeast in my Witbier and a Dry Wheat beer yeast in my Amber I need help!! Should I throw all of my work literally down the drain? What will this do to the taste of the two beers

Worse case: you made beer.

I don't know what yeast you used (and/or what your malt and hops bills were), so I cannot speak to how the switch will impact taste.

That said, DO NOT DUMP THEM! They will still be beer. Will they be to "style?" No. But they will be beer.

You never know, this may be a happy accident and you might find that you really like these two beers with "the wrong" yeast. You can always rebrew them, using the yeast that the recipe called for, and compare the two.

My guess: You'll have a clear amber ale that tastes like a hefeweizen, and a fruity, hazy English wheat beer. Heck, blend a portion of the final product 50/50 and see how that goes.

i dig the response. shows how much i know about this. i didnt write down the hops and the grain and all of that. Cmon thats too much effort!

thank you for the help. i almost trashed all of it last night and i saved it. now that i didnt add yeast to the second item which was supposed to be the witbier i have kept it at 70 F. is it too late to pitch the yeast now?

Latest posts

Back