I might have screwed up my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psheku

Reaction score
This week I decided to step up my brewing game. I made my own wort chiller and I also decided to make a yeast starter for my brews. I did everything that I have read online. Except, I was excited to pitch the yeast and I didn't chill the flask first. I realized this as I was pitching and I immediately ran to the ice bath that I had prepared. Did I kill my yeast? Is there a way to fix my mess-up?

Depends on how hot the wort was. If it was hot, the yeast is likely dead. The only way to fix that is pitch more yeast or start over all together.

This week I decided to step up my brewing game. I made my own wort chiller and I also decided to make a yeast starter for my brews. I did everything that I have read online. Except, I was excited to pitch the yeast and I didn't chill the flask first. I realized this as I was pitching and I immediately ran to the ice bath that I had prepared. Did I kill my yeast? Is there a way to fix my mess-up?

Well, the only way to know for sure is to continue as originally planned and see if the volume of yeast increases. We can safely assume that some yeast died if it was pitched over piping hot (60c+), this shouldn't ruin the starter and you can always smell the starter to see if its ok, better sooner than later as once the yeast consume all the sugars the wort will go sour.

If you recon its okay than pitching a bit more wort may be a good idea to increase the population just incase, a little bit under or over the desired pitch rate shouldn't impact the beer in any way.

Well, the only way to know for sure is to continue as originally planned and see if the volume of yeast increases. We can safely assume that some yeast died if it was pitched over piping hot (60c+), this shouldn't ruin the starter and you can always smell the starter to see if its ok, better sooner than later as once the yeast consume all the sugars the wort will go sour.

If you recon its okay than pitching a bit more wort may be a good idea to increase the population just incase, a little bit under or over the desired pitch rate shouldn't impact the beer in any way.

I don't have a stir plate, so the flask has just been sitting on the counter over night. It has foam on top of the liquid and it smells like beer.

I am not sure how hot the wort was, it wasn't boiling.

Chucking a hot flask of yeast into 5 gallons of cool wort shouldn't really do anything. The cool wort would cool down that flask liquid pretty quick I'd think.

You say you didn't know the temp of your wort though. "It wasn't boiling" implies to me that it was still super hot and probably would have killed your yeast whether the flask was hot or cold. Wait to see if anything happens. If you don't get activity just make sure your wort is at a good pitching temp and toss more yeast in there. Should be fine I think.

zc

I don't have a stir plate, so the flask has just been sitting on the counter over night. It has foam on top of the liquid and it smells like beer.

Sounds like the starter is still OK. It may take a bit longer because you lost some yeast to the hot starter, but if you have foam and a yeasty smell that means that there is living yeast in there.

If you have fermentation, you are likely okay. However, you may need do a second starter when this one finishes to insure you have enough yeast.

It just depends on how hot the starter was when you pitched and how much of the yeast you lost to heat.

That is great news!

After 24 hours should I do another DME boil, CHILL it, and add it with yeast nutrient to the starter too?

That is great news!

After 24 hours should I do another DME boil, CHILL it, and add it with yeast nutrient to the starter too?

If you have room in the flask, that will work.

If there is not room in your starter container, you can also cold crash the current starter, pour off the used liquid, and add the yeast to the new starter.

EDIT: I second that, if you have room in the vessel you can just add the extra wort (aiming for the same gravity as before) rather than have to cold crash and decant. 10% is a safe bet although 20%+ will probably be better suited to the situation.

Adding it next day won't be an issue. After that wait another 24 hours before chilling and pitching.

If you have room in the flask, that will work.

If there is not room in your starter container, you can also cold crash the current starter, pour off the used liquid, and add the yeast to the new starter.

Ok, at 24 hours after the incident I made another starter. All last night and this morning I have steady activity in the flask. I am about 40 hours into the starter now, can I brew beer and pitch it now?

Ok, at 24 hours after the incident I made another starter. All last night and this morning I have steady activity in the flask. I am about 40 hours into the starter now, can I brew beer and pitch it now?

Yes - just treat it as a regular starter now. I generally cold crash mine and pour off the used starter wort to minimize the flavor contribution, but as long as your starter smells good you are fine to just pitch the whole thing.

And if you have a packet of dry yeast at hand you can always use that as a back-up if you don't hit you're desired FG, although really if you pitch too much and too little it generally ends up lower but regardless of that having some dry yeast at hand is essential for such situations.

Even before you get to that you can rouse up the yeast and/or pitch some sugar to get your yeast active again.

Latest posts

Back