I may have a stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5WTFLYBUM

Reaction score
Started 5g of cider last Sunday. It bubbled like crazy for 4 days then slowed to 8 bubbles a min, then almost nothing overnight. 1 to 2 bubbles in three minutes. So should I add fermaid nutrient? Haven't been able to get the hydrometer yet. I thought it would be a month before I needed it.
I do have one for my saltwater reef tank but didn't think it would be a good substitute.
It is two hours to the closest HBS.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Called the HBS I used to get the equipment I have. They said to rack it off and let it set for 4 weeks in secondary. They said that The Mangrove Jack's yeast is fast. They also said that they are mostly a beer and wine place. They're real close to Napa Valley.
If I do this now I have to use five single gallon glass jugs with airlocks. If I can wait till after the first I can get a 5g carboy.
Would it be harmful to add 2 tsp of yeast nutrient and stir, then see what happens?
I could really use some input here. I know there is more cider knowledge here than they have.

I would just leave it as is for the month. Rack after that into another 5 gallon carboy and top up with more juice to reduce headspace, airlock and wait some more before bottling. You could add nutrient now but is there a need? It doesn't sound like your fermentation is stuck, just slowed which is normal. Bubbling is not the way to judge activity in your carboy. Pretty much all my brews have done what you describe.

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it. I will let it sit for three more weeks.
I have read so many things that at this point I'm kinda confused, everything is blurring together and half of it seems to contradict everything else.

Yep! So read as much as you can and experiment until you find a way you're comfortable with, then share your successes here with future 1st timers... Enjoy!🍻

My niece, who got me started, is in the middle of a divorce and moving and all that goes along with it so she hasn't had the time to help. I can't say as I blame her.
I finally took a hint from people here and tried Angry Orchard. Wow new favorite I hope this comes out similar.

Thanks again.

Called the HBS I used to get the equipment I have. They said to rack it off and let it set for 4 weeks in secondary. They said that The Mangrove Jack's yeast is fast. They also said that they are mostly a beer and wine place. They're real close to Napa Valley.
If I do this now I have to use five single gallon glass jugs with airlocks. If I can wait till after the first I can get a 5g carboy.
Would it be harmful to add 2 tsp of yeast nutrient and stir, then see what happens?
I could really use some input here. I know there is more cider knowledge here than they have.

Let it sit. No need to rack yet if you don't want to. It'll be fine in primary. As an example, people let apfelwein sit in primary for months at a time.

And don't add yeast nutrient or stir your cider. Yeast nutrient is to help the little guys along in their work of converting the sugar to alcohol. Sounds like they've already completed their job so there's no need to give them any assistance. And definitely don't stir. Stirring is fine early on in fermentation, but once fermentation activity has slowed you don't want to introduce any oxygen or any other nasties.

Hope this helps.

I have a 20 litre plastic water container with a spigot and another little cap for air intake. The spigot can be screwed completely off, leaving an opening big enough to fit a siphon hose into. It's even got a nice, sturdy handle for lifting it to a higher place. It cost 20 bucks, and it's an indispensible part of my equipment.

I siphon straight from my carboy to the plastic tank, then raise the tank to a higher place and fill my smaller jugs and bottles with the spigot and a funnel. Or I can leave the booze in the tank for long enough to clean my carboy and then just put it right back in.

Sometimes I take the entire thing outside and put it on my picnic table. People can fill up their glasses straight from the spigot and if somebody gets drunk and knocks it over no harm done.

Indispensible.

Back