I "Mashing" my french fries !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casebrew

Reaction score
Seems all the biggies blanch the sliced up taters in boiling water for a couple minutes. It has to do with starch conversion.

I held mine in quite salty water at 145-150 for 15 minutes before frying. 3% salt is recommended.

I'll get back to you after dinner with the taste test results.

Hey, you didn't think a guy that brews all grain is going to buy factory made french fries, did you? ;)

They came out the best yet! I used a digital meat thermometer to check the temps. I got hooked on home made fries lately, once I met my weight loss target and went off the low carb bit. Down 60 pounds, Meat and potatoes now, cholesterol level 160s.

Tossed them into 340° oil in a sauce pan. Held the pan over the sink, added fries a bit at a time, they boiled it over. I'm too cheap with the oil to use a bigger pot of oil, though more would hold the high temp better. I use coconut oil in all my frying. And other cooking too if I don't have any schmaltz left from the garlic chicken I cook each week.

Darn sure do wish I could have had a Flat Ass Tired with the rib eye and fries, but too much gluten. I had to settle for home brew Low Quat wine, which was terrible this year. Must be global warming? .

Actually most kitckens double fry, same concept, but you really want the oil to hold temp if it drops too much your fries will get oily. Take it from someone who has worked as a chef for 12 years.

Always double fry french fries.

I stole Keller's idea (yes well aware hte man uses Sysco fries in his restaurants):

Russet potatoes
Wash under the faucet
Put in cold water in the fridge ofr a couple hours
Drain and pat dry
Heat peanut oil to 330
Drop fries in batches (oil will drop to 325) and hold that for 5-6 minutes (basically until they are cooked through
Jack the heat up to 380ish
Drop in the poatoes (heat should hold about 375) and fry until crispy (2-3 minutes).
Spoon onto paper towels and pat dry
Slam them with cayenne and sea salt

The key is it is a marathon not a sprint so take your time and do smaller batches.

Back