I made my first Cyser! Recipe inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar318

Reaction score
Well today I made my first Cyser. This may belong more in the Mead forum, but I am not really sure.

Recipe is as follows and should yield a 3 gallon finished batch.

9 quarts of spring water
6 lbs (2 quarts) of local raw apple honey
5 quarts of fresh pressed cider
1 vial whitelabs sweet mead
Yeast nutrient

Sanitized a 6 gallon better bottle and added 9 quarts of spring water

Heat pasteurized cider and honey to 170 degrees for 15 minutes to create the must.

Added must to water in the carboy.

Starting Gravity was about 1.072

Technically what you've brewed is not a cyser. A cyser has fruit or fruit juice in it. What you made was a straight mead. Can you actually taste apple flavor from the honey? It sounds delicious.

Technically what you've brewed is not a cyser. A cyser has fruit or fruit juice in it. What you made was a straight mead. Can you actually taste apple flavor from the honey? It sounds delicious.

Um...it has 5 quarts of Apple cider in it......? Surely that counts as fruit juice?

Yeah it is about 1/3 apple cider. I think you missed that part?

Dude, why did you dilute your cider? or heat it up? We usually make cysers with all cider plus some honey, add a little potassium meta to knock back the bugs and add nutrients and yeast and let it rip and roar. It sounds like you are going to end up with a water cyser with not a lot of apple taste. Its not to late to add some apple juice concentrate to boost the flavor. Your apple honey is a light honey so its not going to make up for the balance of flavor. WVMJ

I'm going for a mead with a little apple flavor...not the other way around. I am not really sure if you would call it a cyser or not. It is basically a mead recipe and I added apple cider to it and pulled back some water.

Down to 1.020 right now. Seems to be fermenting pretty quick and steady.

Back