I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We went back to school full in. 1,300 6-8 graders with no possible social distancing. It's been absolutely nuts...also broke my big tow on Sunday cooking dinner...hurts like a mofo...

" also broke my big tow on Sunday cooking dinner...hurts like a mofo..." You should have a good story for that or at least make one up!

Also ordered an Anvil 10.5 Gallon Foundry on Tuesday and it is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Will wonders never cease.

We went back to school full in. 1,300 6-8 graders with no possible social distancing. It's been absolutely nuts...also broke my big tow on Sunday cooking dinner...hurts like a mofo...

How do you do that? I kicked a curb while jogging many years back and now have an arthritic great toe (tow :) ). Some nights, throbs.

" also broke my big tow on Sunday cooking dinner...hurts like a mofo..." You should have a good story for that or at least make one up!

Also ordered an Anvil 10.5 Gallon Foundry on Tuesday and it is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Will wonders never cease.
I think you'll love the foundry. I've had mine for about 6 months, sold the 3 vessel shiny system and no looking back. :mug:

How do you do that? I kicked a curb while jogging many years back and now have an arthritic great toe (tow :) ). Some nights, throbs.

Let's call it an occupational hazard of fatherhood with twins...twin A didn't like twin B being held and pulled pot lid down and fell square on big toe...still swollen but slowly going down thank goodness...I can almost walk without pain....almost

I was perusing YouTube. Found an old one. I was searching for it all truth told. 1985, I was part of Carrier Air Wing Five with The Fighting One Six One, VF-161. One of two remaining F-4 Phantom squadrons in the Navy. We weee anchored off the coast of Oman on Christmas Eve. A USO show was flown in. Bob Hope, Solid Gold Dancers, Miss America, and Lee Greenwood came aboard.

Found this on YouTube. I was 22 or so. You can’t see me but in one of the last cried scenes I was to the left Hangar bay

Mahalo
Dan

Lately I’ve been comparing my life to my dad’s. I think I fall short. I compare my life to my son and daughters and I think I fall short. But I have to believe I ( my exWie) and I did some things correct. Dad, on his literal death bed told me that everybody just does the best they can.

I believe that is true. My dad and mom were in their opinio, nothing special…But they were actually very amazing. Truly awesome

Welcome back Dan! The boys and I have surely missed your posts here!

Im currently rocking one of my 1.5 yo twins back to sleep. Doesn't happen very often anymore but sure is nice right now. Hope you and yours are well!

BTW,its human nature to want to be better then your folks, many get there and don't appreciate it...I realized it recently and had to reflect on how hard they worked to make sure I would do better...thankful I did...now just need to appreciate it more.

Lately I’ve been comparing my life to my dad’s. I think I fall short. I compare my life to my son and daughters and I think I fall short. But I have to believe I ( my exWie) and I did some things correct. Dad, on his literal death bed told me that everybody just does the best they can.

I believe that is true. My dad and mom were in their opinio, nothing special…But they were actually very amazing. Truly awesome

Good to "see" you, Dan.

It's been a tough time lately. Try not to compare yourself to others like this. You're always going to sell yourself short.

Humility is a good thing, but remember that there are people that like you, that care about you, and that you have made a positive difference in people's lives.

Maholo bro, a lot of us are in the same boat.

When one reflects on past perceived shortcomings of oneself, that means they are recognized and can be improved. Those who never reflect on how they could have done better...bla bla,,, anyway,, have a good evening and such.

Important thing is to do the best we can moving forward.

Dan, thanks for posting that video. You should be proud that you served us all and respect that song and what it means. I was born in Saitama, Japan as an Air Force brat (1963). We all fall short at some point, but everything is relative. Relatively speaking, you are amazing and it's great to have a bar that is set so high... Cheers!

Dan,

Great to see you posting in the thread again.

Don't know if I have expressed this directly to you, but thank you for your service. I got to thank and shake hands with two veterans on Labor Day while eating breakfast at a local HyVee grocery store. Just before I was able to express my gratitude a young man (20s) walked up and took a moment to talk to the vets and express his heartfelt gratitude for their service and wish them a great day. I've got to tell you that the older gentlemen thoroughly enjoyed that encounter.

Totally agree with your father's philosophy. Kinda corny, but I'm reminded of the Jimmie Johnson commercial where he sez it was never about racing someone else.

Take care brother.

Aloha and Mahalo for all your kind words my friends. I believe HBT brings out the best in all of us and is truly a nice place to be a part of, a family.

Pappy, I’ve been away from here a while. Is HomeBrew Town still going strong? Fall is approaching and the weather is cooling down. The leaves will soon change to glorious colors.

BTW,its human nature to want to be better then your folks,

hopefully, as long as the rock man doesn't get them to turn on you, so they can make them into a meal.....

I believe HBT brings out the best in all of us and is truly a nice place to be a part of, a family.

maybe to much so...i have to bite my tounge a lot, worrying about getting doxxed.....

Aloha and Mahalo for all your kind words my friends. I believe HBT brings out the best in all of us and is truly a nice place to be a part of, a family.

Pappy, I’ve been away from here a while. Is HomeBrew Town still going strong? Fall is approaching and the weather is cooling down. The leaves will soon change to glorious colors.

Indeed, fall is on it's way. Takes a little longer down here in steamy FL, but it arrives eventually. Just finished a fire pit out back in anticipation of that cooler weather.

Wife and I have been empty-nesters for a while now, and things are certainly slowing down - in a good way. Lots of sitting quiet in the adirondack chairs and looking at the clouds.

Bracconire,I’m not sure what doxxed means. What I do know is, eff. Not a whole hell of a lot. I do know HBT, And this Time at night thread is (in my outdated speak) a cool place to hang out

With dignity and respect. Aloha and love
Dan Dawson

Wow! This place, HBT, This time of night is truly my go to comfort place. I hope that makes sense. I share quite a lot here. Doesn’t bother me a bit

My son and daughters are to me amazing in many ways. Their no and I divorced after 12 years. The kids were pretty young at the time. 5, 10 and 11. It was Avery tough time Their mother and I went through an ugly divorce. She is Australian and. I’ve to the USA she fellin love. With me. We were married at a chapelon the west coast of Australia in1988. We divorced in 2001. The proceeding years , actuallyJanuary of 2000 to September of 2002 I wentthrough adivrce Whig shied and my kokand dad died of a certain. All appned in a two year period. Hi it SUCKED!!

but life moves on. My kids are all on their own now. We are close which is really great. I believe we have a very strong relationship. Probably better than I didwith mymomand dad

Maia so much info. I was just going to posts video and we go this ramble. Shoot. Stem e if I can find the video again. It’s about a fathers love

Wow! Sorry so many typos. I hope you stil get the gist of it. Still looking for the song that got me reflecting on how very wonderful it is to be a father, mother, parent. I matter how tough life gets, love pulls us through

I hope this lik works :)

i remeber something like that...in kindergarden i clocked a kid with my luch pail that was picking on me....turned into sorta bully because i thought i had to be...then my dad died when i was 12, and wondered why i didn't have the same guile as a teenager.....but then i turned 14 and **** hit the fan...learned things that aren't supposed to be talked about, and still trying to recover on my own.....

(and honestly i still have a burning memory of my dad in my head when i was 11 and that girl wanted to start a family!)

i remeber something like that...in kindergarden i clocked a kid with my luch pail that was picking on me....turned into sorta bully because i thought i had to be...then my dad died when i was 12, and wondered why i didn't have the same guile as a teenager.....but then i turned 14 and **** hit the fan...learned things that aren't supposed to be talked about, and still trying to recover on my own.....

(and honestly i still have a burning memory of my dad in my head when i was 11 and that girl wanted to start a family!)
Your lunch pail was picking on you??? Sorry Bracc….I couldn’t resist! 😆

Seems to me many men have burning memories of their dad. Some good, some not so good. We move on and do the best we can in life, learning from our mistakes. Funny how much wiser and smarter our parents become as we get older. Often more so once they’re gone.

Cheers mate 🍻

KBW.

Sorry to hear about all of that Sammy. Tough time I’m sure, but you’ll get through it.

Several years ago I get a call from my wife one afternoon. She says “I had a little incident and need your help…can you get away and come home?”. I said sure dear I’ll leave now, be there shortly. Long story short, she was moving a few champagne bottles (in her bare feet) and dropped one on her big toe! Came home to find blood all over floor. She needed to go for stitches. 😖

Years later we think about this and laugh, especially when we ope a bottle of Champagne. 🍾

Cheers🍻

KBW.

Maholo bro, a lot of us are in the same boat.

When one reflects on past perceived shortcomings of oneself, that means they are recognized and can be improved. Those who never reflect on how they could have done better...bla bla,,, anyway,, have a good evening and such.

Important thing is to do the best we can moving forward.
One thing a wise older man told me recently: as you get older and reflect on life, you need to learn how to become good at grieving. Reflection can be a good thing; view it in light of your achievements, whatever they may be. Thinking of your mistakes, wondering if if you “should have” made different choices, and recognizing the loss of youth are natural thoughts. The key I’m told is coming to terms with them (which involves grieving).

Easy to say, tough to do. It does help frame life in a fresh perspective I suppose.

Cheers🍻

KBW.

Last edited:
Fatherhood has been an adventure for me. He just started school, that's our latest event.

My dad retired within the last year. It's been an adjustment for him. He was so focused on work for all his life, he doesn't really have any hobbies to keep him busy now. His tremors are so bad that I'm not sure what hobbies he could pick up if he wanted to. Things between us could be better. He's still pretty disappointed that I didn't come back to keep the family business.

Conversations with my dad are usually pretty civil. His age and health get to him, though, and he can be pretty ornery at times. I'm trying to have a better relationship with him than he had with his dad.

Fatherhood has been an adventure for me. He just started school, that's our latest event.

My dad retired within the last year. It's been an adjustment for him. He was so focused on work for all his life, he doesn't really have any hobbies to keep him busy now. His tremors are so bad that I'm not sure what hobbies he could pick up if he wanted to. Things between us could be better. He's still pretty disappointed that I didn't come back to keep the family business.

Conversations with my dad are usually pretty civil. His age and health get to him, though, and he can be pretty ornery at times. I'm trying to have a better relationship with him than he had with his dad.

What causes the tremors?

I do worry that I'll time retirement with inability to enjoy it. I think that's pretty common. Yea, f-it. I'm gonna retire tomorrow. Let me check with the wife first...

Well another Saturday survived in my house with my three kids 5 and under...I'm really trying to take peoples advice and savor the moments of them being little and innocent but I would like to go to the bathroom by myself again at some point.

Anyway, hope the night owl crew is doing well!

Three kids under 5... bless you.

Yeah, the twins were a surprise...we knew she was pregnant walking into the docs office...had no idea there was two in there though until the ultrasound came up on the screen and there were two sacs with two heart beats...it's crazy in my house not gonna lie...the laundry is always going and the dishwasher is well probably crying every day after we leave the house in the morning but can't imagine life without either of the twins...the 5 year old is super fun now...he's getting into sports and race cars and he's so damn smart and in tune with what's going on...I absolutely love being a dad...also doesn't hurt to have some help on brew day either LoL

Back