I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheesy did you get your kegerator up and running?
Surely did! Thankfully it was just the starter/capacitor/whatever it's called on freezers. Swapped it out and she kicked right on.
Didn't get a chance to do a double brewday yet. I've got the wheat from last weekend but the pipeline still needs replenished. Maybe over the 4th.

I went to a goodbye today. My wife met a girl nearly 35 years ago. The girl got married, raised with her husband 2 great kids. He died of a heart attack in his sleep at 52.

Today , his family had a memorial for him. The mood was intended as festive. A celebration towards a husband, father, friend, a very good man. The type of guy you would love to have as a friend. This man was full of love and humor and encouragement for anybody lucky enough to meet him.

His name was Keith. He truly was a very, very good man. Today his loved ones , and friends (they all loved him too) celebrated his life. At the end his son, daughter and canoe and lifelong friends paddled out in the ocean and spread his ashes.

At the exact time the ashes were set in the sea a lone bird flew off into the horizon (there wasn’t a bird there before).

Also, my wife and my friend’s wife were standing on the beach watching. They were far enough up the beach to keep their feet from getting wet. My friends wife was a few inches nearer the sea than my wife’s

The moment my friend’s ashes touched the water the lone bird flew and the tide rose up and touched his wife’s toes.

Peace be with you Garcia family always and forever

Love
Dan

Last edited:
Aloha forever my friends

Just checking in brothers and sis’s

All well here on Hawaiian shores.

I’m not on this site often as I use to be...but still my friends, family of HBT always hold a firm grip on my heart

Aloha brothers and sisters

Mahalo
Dan D

Can't speak for everyone else, but things are mostly good at my residence. We had more than our usual share of stress this week with some stuff my wife went through at work. Although others at her place of work could rightly say that they have it worse, but that still doesn't make it easy. But we're all still breathing and still reasonably comfortable.

And we can be thankful that a family member's planned medical procedure he underwent late last week seemed to go smoothly.

Can't speak for everyone else, but things are mostly good at my residence. We had more than our usual share of stress this week with some stuff my wife went through at work. Although others at her place of work could rightly say that they have it worse, but that still doesn't make it easy. But we're all still breathing and still reasonably comfortable.

And we can be thankful that a family member's planned medical procedure he underwent late last week seemed to go smoothly.

Saying my life is better would make me a hypocrite. The stories of our lives like to throw us curveballs, somehow we get through it. Together as a family

Cheers
Danny

Doin good here. Daughter is gearing up to start her sophomore year in hs. Should be a good one for her.

Man! Life is going to zoom fast the next six years. Won’t seem like it at the time but in a few years your daughter will graduate hs move on to college. It’s pretty cool. I missed some steps along the way. It’s my missed forte, but all worked out well. Always does with love guiding.
Cheers
Dan D

I’ve been on this website quite a few years. First just for brewing knowledge and eventually made some friends. I can say from my experience this site has been a blessing. I’ve gone through some topsey turney times in life. The good people of HBT helped me through them. And for that I would like to say Thank you HBT!

I don’t like spell check. Keeps changing my words and then I have to edit. I think I fooled it this time ;)

Man! Life is going to zoom fast the next six years. Won’t seem like it at the time but in a few years your daughter will graduate hs move on to college. It’s pretty cool. I missed some steps along the way. It’s my missed forte, but all worked out well. Always does with love guiding.
Cheers
Dan D

My oldest is 25. I missed much of her life while she was with her mom. She's about to graduate from Colorado School of Mines with her engineering degree. The Navy is courting her for the nuclear program.

Cheers!

My oldest is 25. I missed much of her life while she was with her mom. She's about to graduate from Colorado School of Mines with her engineering degree. The Navy is courting her for the nuclear program.

Cheers!

I missed part of my kids lives too. The most important part, I believe,is we’ve managed to build a pretty solid and loving relationship....overcame the physical miles between us.

All is well when love and communication exist. Feel like I’m preaching to the choir my friend. Happy for you and yours![emoji3]

Cheers
Dan

So my workplace did some biometric testing today. I think that’s the correct word “biometric”. A blood sample and then a reading of cholesterol’s and glucose. I was a bit afraid what they were going to tell me but was happily surprised. Glucose level in optimal range, cholesterol they give three readings. I don’t really understand them. My good cholesterol and bad are at odds but not by much. Might need to read up on how to fix that the other cholesterol reading was said to be optimal at 200 or less. I was 177 (no fast test)

Pretty sure if they checked liver function and BP I’d be benched. I’ll take the good news. Gives me encouragement to let the docs run all those test I’m afraid to hear the answers.
Cheers my friends
Dan

One thing I liked about serving a career in the military....well there’s actually quite a few things. But what I’m thinking about now is health. Not mental health...the military can screw with your mind pretty well, all starts with boot camp then deployments..tons of crap

Physical health they’re really good at and make you maintain it. You do or you don’t stay.

You can join at 18 serve 20 years and start on a new career (while receiving retirement pay plus any VA Benifit). Plus if you sacrifice yourself and family enough retire as in retire retire. No mo work

But I don’t want to be 55 years old and not work. I’d die.

Where was I going with this???

Oh I know. Family. I didn’t give mine up but did throw in obstacles. Sometimes I wonder if I didn’t put my soul into the military would I still be married to my first wife. We’d have made 30 years two days ago but we lasted 12. **** man. No reason to go what if now. My life is what is now. No going back. No time for regrets ever.

Just venting a bit. Maybe I do have some regrets I’m not perfect.

But man. Like my dad said a few days before he passed away. Danny we all do the best we can in life. Nobody can take that away

Cheers brothers and sis’s
Dan Dawson

Last edited:
My first wife was crazy. She's currently divorced from husband #5. I was #1. Dodged a bullet by divorcing her quick. I was in the Navy back then. I did 4 years and always wished I had done the 20. I would have retired almost 10 years ago.

My first wife was crazy. She's currently divorced from husband #5. I was #1. Dodged a bullet by divorcing her quick. I was in the Navy back then. I did 4 years and always wished I had done the 20. I would have retired almost 10 years ago.

Hahaa. We have another thing in common. My first wife is a bit nuts. According to her, Mother Mary has recently been giving her weather reports.

My ex wife is a good person, well educated, two master degrees. She just a bit bonkers or maybe I’m just not educated enough to understand her brilliance....Nah. Don’t think that’s it. She’s just a bit wonky. And truth be told, I probably am too

[emoji2]

Last edited:
I usually think of this thread as being for the hours between 11pm-4am but I'm breaking with that today. My 16-month-old has decided to change his routine and wake up completely when my wife goes to work rather than go back to sleep for 2 hours which had been his routine almost going back as far as since my wife ended her maternity leave. I'm a night owl so it worked pretty well for me. This is the 3rd or 4th day of him waking up early in a row, and I fear that it is becoming a trend.

I fear I am losing my mind.

Don’t worry to much. New parents don’t get a lot of sleep. Happily we get through it and eventually everybody gets a good rest. I

I have three kids, all grown and on there own now. STarting there own family. Pretty crazy it doesn’t seem that long ago they were babies causing all kinds of lost sleep. Hang in there bro and your wife. It’s going to be okay, tough and worth the sleepless baby crying nights and all the tough things that come with being Dad and Mom

Congratulations to you and your wife’s amazingly challenging wonderful journey as mom and dad!
Cheers
Dan

My youngest had colic. For 3 months she would cry all night long. I would get maybe 2-3 hours of sleep each night. I was walking dead for a while there. We survived. Now we look back and go "yeah, remember that? She was such a cute baby".

Stair skirts
I pulled the carpet off the stairs in this house. Gina put down redoak treads. Trying to figure out the stair skirt. Angels angels freaking angels to make the skirt blend in and make the stairs blend perfectly. Watched a couple you tube videos. Some make look pretty simple. Others are complicated

Wish me luck and any advice always appreciated

Cheers!
Dan

Angels... think I meant angles. I can’t even spell the word correctly. Woohoo. I’m in trouble[emoji3]

Here’s where I’m at now.
IMG_1532917275.997967.jpg

The first tread and skirt are not put in place. Just a visual for me. I’m gonna make this all look good. Just need some advice from my HBT family

Cheers
Dan

One word about caulking around a toilet or bath. I do it often at my new job. I’m decent at it but Hate doing it. I’m good enough at it but not a pro. Pro’s are something I’m not.

Don’t know why I mentioned this

In a world where people can infer all kinds of goofy stuff with every text message I send and every social media post I make, I'm glad there is a thread like this where everyone is calm and mellow.

Even when they're probably cursing about home improvements when they get away from the keyboard.

Lately I'm not sure if I am the metaphorical/figurative/whatever few drinks behind everyone else or if (nearly) everyone else is a few drinks behind me.

Long time lurker, sporadic poster. Dan, I agree with Ischavio, template that out and life will be better. You can try mathing it but the numbers always go wrong for me.. drawings don’t lie. Usually.
Kids start 4th and 7th grades Weds. looking forward to less screaming at each other and more peace & quiet around the house. Just a ramble, but glad to see the Dan (and the rest of you) are holding up well.

Found a few cool jigs to make for measuring the treads and risers for a perfect fit. This one is my favorite so far

Back