I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like a good day to quote myself. She died today.

Hey Hoss

Going to copy and paste and quote Ecclesiastes 3

A Time for Everything
There is a time for everything,
And a season for every activity under the heavens:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
A time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peac

After putting up those words from Ecclesiastes, I can’t help from putting up the words put to music by the Byrd’s.

My dad referenced this Bible verse just before he retired, in the the local newspaper Elmwood Gazett. Dad was a doctor for a small town.

When he retired . He was months away from a cancer death which he held secret up till a month or two before he joined my mom in heaven. 18 years ago.

You never get over that, loosing somebody you love. But life does move on and we need to celebrate each day.

I’ve shared quite a lot of my feelings on this website over the years. I doubt I’ll ever stop... you might say enough Dan. Just stop [emoji7]. Not going to happen.

May your days be full of love, may you and yours not take each other for granted. May the happy times out number the sad. May peace be with you.

Truly,
Dan

Last edited:
Hey all,

I’m working on making a bed, what to call it? Not making a mattress, not making the metal frame the mattress sits on. I’ll call it the bed surround. There is probably a better name.

I always found it a pita to try and tuck sheets, blanket and comforter into the front and sides of a bed, especially when they have a footboard and side rails and to make matters worse the bed is next to a wall. I figured it out.

I doubt I’m the first to do this but I’d never heard of it before even if it already exist.

I’ll just show a pic of the in work foot board

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

I spent 42$ on 1/2” poplar 4x8 plywood and 5 on carpenter glue. Used the tools I have at the house.

I wanted sides on it. Since the bed sits real close to the wall I figured nobody will ever see that side. Why put a side rail on that side; so I didn’t.

What I did do was lay a 1”x3” board on the floor along that wall. That way the bed’s metal frame wheel legs never get closer than a few inches from the wall. Plenty of sheet, blanket, comforter room on that side

The front of the bed is on sleds so it can easily be pulled out, away from the bed for room for the linen, blankets, etc.,

The side of the bed you would see has a rail attached to the foot board and a support that looks natural if that’s the correct word, at the head of the bed. When pulled out to make the bed everything is out of the way. Pushed back in; nobody can tell it isn’t a solid surround.

Hope this all makes sense. If the bed was in the middle of the room and both sides were visible I’d put two side rails on it. Easy trick when all is pushed back in place to make it look like it’s all solidly together

Cheers!
Dan

Last edited:
Btw. This is going to be painted whatever color my wife wants which is a shame because the wood is nice and with some filler and sanding would look sweet with stain. I’ll still fill brad heads and the small seams even though it’s being painted. Thirty, forty years from now somebody could come across this thing and think wtf did you paint nice wood for?

Last edited:
The bed already has a headboard attached to the metal frame. I matched the design of the headboard to footboard best I could. It might have been a little more costly and time consuming to have just done both boards as a matched set. . But I’m ok with how this thing is turning out

The bed frame I made didn’t get wife’s approval. She said no side on one side (even though you’ll never see it) will mess up the, and I know I’m spelling this wrong...fung swey

Oh brother. I’m putting a second side on it. Which will never be seen

I love this thread Dan. It's all yours, don't ever stop. It's smeared from top to bottom with your fung swey. That headboard looks great. I know how it feels to paint woodwork that you laboriously put together, nailed, glued. It's hard. The natural beauty of the wood grain, the smell of the wood as you cut it, the promise as you filled gaps and sanded. All covered with paint. Ugh.

For your late night soundtrack, a bit of jazz from the ramsey lewis trio. Enjoy your late night, late niters!

Pappy, Ischiavo. You guys are so cool. Very happy to knows you! We’ve been kicking around together 6 or more years I think

I was going to post the Byrds song that is pretty much an exact repeat of Ecclesiastes 3.

Turn, Turn,Turn

But my dad used that, referred to that passage in the my home town gazette when he retired. He also knew his time in this life was not long. He passed two months later

So not going to post that song tonight but am posting a favorite of mine

Super Bowl Sunday Sunday Sunday....!

I’m not a football fan. I’m a fan of people ; especially Americans. Super Bowl Sunday should really be a national holiday. Truly. It is a day , as a country we all come together. Ya, your side my side both want to win. There will only be one winner though. American!

We live in a, not perfect country. Try and find one. I’ve been around the world a bit. In my discoveries none of those other countries were as wonderfully amazing as the United States of America.

I, after writing all that above

Need to put up my number one favorite song from Brother Iz.

I never met him personally. Wish I did

He died way to young. But his music will live on forever

It’s pretty easy to take things for granted in life. I once had a vivid dream that I actually remembered. Not all of it; dreams are sketchy.

What I did remember was blessings from God. I’m not religious in a secular aspect. I believe in a creator. In the dream I saw so many blessings. Little things I take for granted each day. I wish I could see that daily. But my eyes and heart are blind at times; it seems

Last edited:
From what I know of you Dan, you do quite well at looking at life in a positive way. You have certainly helped me on that path over the years. The super bowl seems less interesting every year. I did watch it though. At least it wasn't a blow out. Actually a pretty interesting game if it's actually a real sport anymore. On to the Olympics!

From what I know of you Dan, you do quite well at looking at life in a positive way. You have certainly helped me on that path over the years. The super bowl seems less interesting every year. I did watch it though. At least it wasn't a blow out. Actually a pretty interesting game if it's actually a real sport anymore. On to the Olympics!

I didn't watch. I'm not much of a football fan, but it's the one game each year I usually watch for the pop culture reasons. But I'm just appalled that anyone would think it's OK to protest the american anthem, especially guys who get paid millions to throw a ball around. If it was one guy who did it, that's one thing, but it got to the point where majority of these teams were doing it as veterans were marching the flag across the field. So I skipped it altogether this year and watched the new Blade Runner movie. I know I made no difference, but I feel better about it:)

I didn't watch. I'm not much of a football fan, but it's the one game each year I usually watch for the pop culture reasons. But I'm just appalled that anyone would think it's OK to protest the american anthem, especially guys who get paid millions to throw a ball around. If it was one guy who did it, that's one thing, but it got to the point where majority of these teams were doing it as veterans were marching the flag across the field. So I skipped it altogether this year and watched the new Blade Runner movie. I know I made no difference, but I feel better about it:)

I completely agree. The SB was the first NFL game I watched this year. I should have stuck to my guns.

I left a little later than usual for work yesterday morning so it was light. Here’s a real clever guy maximizing the most out of what he has. I can’t imagine it’s legal...even in Hawaii
View attachment 558117

Certainly not legal in the regulation state that is Hawaii, but the driver is almost certainly a local and the eye of the law is turned away. Sort of like those junkers that you can tell will not pass the annual vehicle inspection, it has an expired inspection sticker from 2008 and its a braddah driving it at 35mph on the H3. Oh well island style.

Fung Swey. That is my new phrase for the week! Amazing how misspellings can live on.

A couple of years ago I was illegally passing around my legally purchased copy of Turbo Tax Deluxe and I accidentally put the following in the subject line of the email notification: "Tubro Tax Deluce is now available". I still get some friends sending me emails around this time of the year asking if I have the new Tubro Tax version.

Fung Swey. That is my new phrase for the week! Amazing how misspellings can live on.

A couple of years ago I was illegally passing around my legally purchased copy of Turbo Tax Deluxe and I accidentally put the following in the subject line of the email notification: "Tubro Tax Deluce is now available". I still get some friends sending me emails around this time of the year asking if I have the new Tubro Tax version.

You, my friend have excess fung swey. Try to use it for Good. It can be deadly if not respected;) cheers.

Back in the day... I find myself uttering the words occasionally

We didn’t have an intern.. I mean internet.

But we did have a long spr cord for a phone.

Lithium ion batteries were something Superman might have had in his secret stash

But I love this song. Eddy Mercury was an amazing, brilliant musician. Lucky for us he was born and made music.

Check out these folks, I’m not sure their voices mimicking. I like to believe it’s real

Pretty sure the above is a fake. Freddy, spell check f’d up. Was an amazing artist. His voice had abilities of distinguished opera singers. No wonder his music is tried to be replayed by just singing in you car or

To
Passedpawn
I think this thread might be over. Been running nearly six years. People have come and gone. We all all had fun and seemed to have bared ourselves in one way or another.

I really wish BobbyLynn would chime in here still.

At one point in my life I was particularly down. You either quoted or came up with a response.

It, I don’t remember the words, only the thought

“You are a product of generations “

Ring a bell? Hope so. I’d like to read it again. Few years older now we are.

Cheers
Dan

My son is making a bed frame. He’s a chip off the old block. If I do say so. Pallets reused here
Okay, not all made of old pallets, it’s looking good
54311245853__2B1BEAAE-0545-4920-BE04-71F63B772376.jpg

I’m not sure how he will get it into the house. But he’s a stong guy and has friends...he’ll get it in

Last edited:
Hey Dan. Project looks great.

I've been working on setting up a soap kitchen for my wife's business. I started January 22 and I'm almost done. This is the garage of her photography/bath and body shop.

View attachment 562663

Ischiavo
Your work is spectacular, especially because it made from love

To my brother Ischiavo and to all here

May life arise new each day
And give you another day to play

Cheers
Dan

Thanks Dan. I've had to go back to "real" work lately so progress is slow. My big problem lately it's trying to tune the PID's for the soap kettles. I never expected to have any trouble with that but I'm getting closer I think.

Hope everyone had a nice Easter.

Hello late nighters...it has certainly been awhile...hope you all are well! With baseball season upon us I’m up late once again catching up on grading papers...decided to take a quick break before finishing...coaching high school baseball definitely takes away from my afternoons of grading papers and preparing for the next days lessons but I love the game and more importantly at this point teaching it.

Having recently switched districts both teaching and coaching I’m back at the bottom of the coaching totem pole being an assistant...it sucks!

I played in high school for three National coaches of the year and in college for a current pro manager...my summer ball coaches are head coaches of two division 1 programs...I’ve learned an awful lot from all of them and I feel like I can bring a lot to the program...I just need an opportunity...I hate how these things take time and have to constantly remind myself that Rome wasn’t built in a day...anyway end of rant and break! Until next time late nighters!

:mug:

I think I’ve found my niche since retiring from the Navy nearly nine years ago. Omg! It’s been that long ago.

In my family we seem to have a history, a pattern of putting ourselves in positions to help. My dad was a physician as is my brother, my uncle and three cousins.

Truth be told, I never had the fortitude ...wait, that’s not quite the correct word. I have fortitude.

More like I was not interested as much in becoming a doctor as my dad and all. I guess on some measure I could be called the under achiever of the family

I did truly enjoy being an airplane fixer. Mostly Navy jet aircraft. The Navy put me through very good schooling. I was suppose to go to college. But looking back VoTech military was A great option

Navy taught me what I needed to know to do well. Five days a week 8 hours a day, 2-3 hours homework a night for 6 months. Then four more months at a specific aircraft school.

Then I got orders to the fleet. Young, bright eyed, right out of school I was sent to the USS Midway home ported in Yokosuka (pronounced phonetically. - yo koo ska)

Man it was an E ticket ride as were the next 26 years serving our country in the Navy.

Retiring from the Navy was not the worst thing ever...but it was tough. It’s what I was, I’m still Navy.

But life moves on.

Last edited:
Hi peoples! It's been a long time since I've checked in to HBT. I'm now in my 3rd year of brewing for a living and it's going well. Last November I moved to another brewery here in Tucson. I'm learning more in the last few months than I ever realized I didn't know in 20yrs of homebrewing.
Speaking of homebrewing, I've started doing that again, with my new found knowledge. The Quad I just kegged is probably the best beer I've ever made.

Hi peoples! It's been a long time since I've checked in to HBT. I'm now in my 3rd year of brewing for a living and it's going well. Last November I moved to another brewery here in Tucson. I'm learning more in the last few months than I ever realized I didn't know in 20yrs of homebrewing.
Speaking of homebrewing, I've started doing that again, with my new found knowledge. The Quad I just kegged is probably the best beer I've ever made.

MaddBaggins!
That’s great news. Doing something you love for work and for a hobby at home.
Cheers my friend
Dan

My daughter is coming out here, Hawaii in two days. Bringing her girlfriend, a really sweet girl. Only here 4 days. We’re going to have fun. Moneys a bit short this time of year (effing taxman). But it’s going to be a great time with my daughter and her friend. We’re going to the Polynesian Cultural center Saturday, Island tour Sunday. The first two days they’re her I’m not sure. It’s good to be a tourist in Hawaii even if you live here. Rest of the time you’re just working to live here
Cheers!

Back