I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice finds Dan. I wish there was something like that here. Though all the dumps and places for getting rid of large items around here scavenging is illegal. I am sure it is because they do not want to be held liable for any injuries, and if there were dropoff areas, they would get junky quickly. On the plus side, if you put out stuff for a large item pickup in front of your house, usually it disappears before they actually pick it up. I have found a couple laptops and computers when going for a jog that were perfectly good after a full wipe/reinstall.

Ischiavo, your work alwsys sounds so interesting! I am not promoting tobacco use ( the pipe thread is more than just tobbacco;). ) but i went from ciggsrrettes to smokeless a long time ago to feed the need. Now that smoking is nearly outlaw, smokeless tobaccy has exploded. I remember when i got into the disgusting kick there was skoal or copenhagen now each of those have numerous variations along with many other brands and their variations. Id say the explosion in smokeless tobacco products is partly the result of the crack down on smoking - some people are going to get hooked on nicotine in no matter what. Lucky for the tobacc companies.

There was also a refrigerator in the pile. Clean, smallish, maybe 14 cubic feet. I got my hand cart and loaded the fridge. Hauled to my back linai. Cleaned it, only the freezer seal was really dirty (?) plugged it in and the soft dound of the compressor came on. A clean icecube tray was in the freezer so i filled it with water and put back in, then folled a glass of water and set in the middle of the fridge section. I set freezer and fridge midrange settings. This morning. A tray of icecubes. Water in the glass a chilly 37.

Hmmm? Nice wood that can be recut, sanded and stained plus a good clean fridge lsid in my lap

Any ideas? ;)

Yeah, smoking rules are getting a little overboard in some places. I guess it should come down to common sense and courtesy. Even when I could, I rarely ever smoked in restaurants. I don't smoke in my house, around my kids or when they are in a vehicle with me. I just never have because I do not feel right subjecting others to my habit.

Never could handle chewing tobacco. It makes me almost instantly ill.

Nice find on the plywood and fridge. What cant you make out of plywood? Maybe you should do a teak beer fridge;)

I am quite a scavenger myself. I have collected many useful throwaways over the years. Construction sites, especially remodels can be a goldmine;)

Ischiavo, if i sounded like i was judging you, thats not what i meant. Im hooked on micotine and enjoy it. Wrong health wise but its where im at and have been many, many years[emoji5]️

You do not seem the type to judge and the thought never crossed my mind:mug: I'd really rather not be hooked on nicotine too but here I am.

And on have bringing on a great thread title. I'm going to bed guys. May good times and happiness abound you. I have to sleep now.

You were in bed early last night. It's been a real long time. How is everyone?????

In 1985, i was 21 years old and stationed on the navy's oldest deployed aircraft carrier, USS Midway! Styx, you remember Styx! Only cassette tape i had was theirs. Not by i liked only their music, ot was lack of planning and I just was to stupid to think ahead before a long cruise around the Indian Ocean and load up on music. Styx put me to bed everymight ( morning really - i worked nights)

Still their music i love. Cheers too you all. Come sail away with me! [emoji3].

At 21 i thought i had life all figured out. [emoji3][emoji3]. Heres one of my favorite songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 1985, i was 21 years old and stationed on the navy's oldest deployed aircraft carrier, USS Midway! Styx, you remember Styx! Only cassette tape i had was theirs. Not by i liked only their music, ot was lack of planning and I just was to stupid to think ahead before a long cruise around the Indian Ocean and load up on music. Styx put me to bed everymight ( morning really - i worked nights)

Still their music i love. Cheers too you all. Come sail away with me! [emoji3].

At 21 i thought i had life all figured out. [emoji3][emoji3]. Heres one of my favorite songs.

http://youtu.be/qIcDZ7GnOcc

Come sail away?

As a Navy grunt I'd expect feeling more analogous to Mr Roboto.

You should have a lightning rod atop that umbrella to power the induction unit. I know you can do it;)

@dynachrome I was in your town the last three days. Days were too long to look you up but we'll be back before too long.

Did you get to try any of the micros here?

What were you hot-wiring anyway? Residential, commercial, industrial, black-ops?

Did you get to try any of the micros here?

What were you hot-wiring anyway? Residential, commercial, industrial, black-ops?

Good to hear from you bud.

Nothing fancy. A new gas station on Thomas street I believe (terrible memory here).

I'll give you a call (if your number is the same) when we get back down once the building is up. I'll buy you dinner and beers if you point us to the good stuff. We didn't fare too well last time.

...yup, they tore down an old used car place. I know right where you're at.

Cool. I got your text. I have no idea on scheule but once the building is up, we shouldn't be far behind. We'll probably be there about 3 weeks or so.

We are on the edge of a thunderstorm right now with some good heavy rain. Thunder is way off in the distance. Even my 10yo couldn't resist coming out to get drenched in the rain and puddles. Brings back some good memories watching these goofballs...

I entered in the Photo of the Week contest here at HBT. It needs "likes" to win. :mug:

I will vote for yours as soon as i get on a computer. On a phone right now and cant find the picture.

Lskewood Brewery is slmost back in action. One thing difficult abput brewing in Hawaii is cost - i think that adpect has been overcome

Soon to be inventory of ingredients, soon. Ssy the doorstep ( please hurry mailman)

50 Lbs two row
1 lb crystal 15
1 lb carapils
1lb cascade
5 packs us05
Some magnum
Some perle

Thats not a recipe, just inventory. Im good for a lot of my fav ipa with a lot of grain, some cascade, and tons of yeast still in inventory

Mbpught all at a great price froma west coast supplier - norCalBrewingSolutions

Sorry anout the typos. I droppedy phone at work thevpther day, glads broke and now a kaleidescope trying to type on

LRB, youre in for the win ( my opinion!). I voted for your pic because you captured the shadow of hop vines on the surface of boiling wort in the kettle with sillouettes of hop flowers doing their best and giving their all to great beer! Your photo of goodness is amazing. In So many ways!

Cheers and good luck!

LRB, youre in for the win ( my opinion!). I voted for your pic because you captured the shadow of hop vines on the surface of boiling wort in the kettle with sillouettes of hop flowers doing their best and giving their all to great beer! Your photo of goodness is amazing. In So many ways!

Cheers and good luck!

Thanks Dan. Your discription is better than the photo.

Need somebody to just make plumbing clear. I dig inside dimensions. Makes perfect sense. What is the thickness of the usual wall? ID vs OD. Hows a laymen to know?

Side note. If i fill my bathtub (stopper engaged - tub drain plugged). And at the four minute mark shut of the water; is four minutes after pulling the plug to empty the tub a good drain time?

My wife was complaining her tub drains too slowly. So I filled her tub with hot water. Plunged it about 300 times. When i saw a vortex start forming and the nice gurgling drain sound (neither i had before the plunging). I did the time test. 4:4, or i guess thats the same as 1:1. Seems pretty good to me. Is that a good ratio?

Thanks Dan. Your discription is better than the photo.

No, my discripton is not better. You captured a perfect moment. Ying and Yang, Kama sutra of wort and hops. The world globe was amazing and only a little subtle and most liklely photo chopped. Your pic is originsl and amazingly glorious but a little subleter (is that a word? [emoji3])

I truly like that pic, LRB! Any chance I can get a copy of it? Email.

Need somebody to just make plumbing clear. I dig inside dimensions. Makes perfect sense. What is the thickness of the usual wall? ID vs OD. Hows a laymen to know?

Side note. If i fill my bathtub (stopper engaged - tub drain plugged). And at the four minute mark shut of the water; is four minutes after pulling the plug to empty the tub a good drain time?

My wife was complaining her tub drains too slowly. So I filled her tub with hot water. Plunged it about 300 times. When i saw a vortex start forming and the nice gurgling drain sound (neither i had before the plunging). I did the time test. 4:4, or i guess thats the same as 1:1. Seems pretty good to me. Is that a good ratio?

I'm not a plumber but my dad was and I learned a thing or two. The water should typically drain at about twice the rate of the fill depending on pipe diameter. I think around here your water lines are about 1/2" ID and the tub drain is usually around 1" ID or bigger. Granted I don't know what your house is plumbed with but my dad always said if the drain forms a vortex and has a nice gurgling you are ok. However having a gurgling but still draining slow could indicate a bad vent situation. Is the tub vented with an overfill line? Also to take into consideration is that the water line is pressure fed so your flow rate should be higher while your drain lines are gravity fed which is why they are bigger, to help increase that flow rate without the pressure.

I'm not a plumber but my dad was and I learned a thing or two. The water should typically drain at about twice the rate of the fill depending on pipe diameter. I think around here your water lines are about 1/2" ID and the tub drain is usually around 1" ID or bigger. Granted I don't know what your house is plumbed with but my dad always said if the drain forms a vortex and has a nice gurgling you are ok. However having a gurgling but still draining slow could indicate a bad vent situation. Is the tub vented with an overfill line? Also to take into consideration is that the water line is pressure fed so your flow rate should be higher while your drain lines are gravity fed which is why they are bigger, to help increase that flow rate without the pressure.

Thanks sfgoat! Everything you said makes good sense. Im aatisfied with the drain action for now. Its much better than before,mucho, mucho better. But im wondereing if the vent is still an issue. Im not completely sure, is the overflow plumbing also the vent or is that one of those mysterious tubes that come out of the roof of a house? [emoji4]. Think its google time. Ive never considered plumbing and how it works, just taken it for granted
Cheers!

Thanks sfgoat! Everything you said makes good sense. Im aatisfied with the drain action for now. Its much better than before,mucho, mucho better. But im wondereing if the vent is still an issue. Im not completely sure, is the overflow plumbing also the vent or is that one of those mysterious tubes that come out of the roof of a house? [emoji4]. Think its google time. Ive never considered plumbing and how it works, just taken it for granted
Cheers!

The overflow does also act as a vent for the tub. It is not altogether necessary as the vent pipes on your roof will do the job but it does help to accelerate the draining.

I'm not a plumber by any means, but whenever I have a slow drain I use this stuff. Not sure if you have a Home Depot near by, but if so, give this stuff a shot. Dump some down the drain before you go to bed and flush it out in the morning. It works a lot better than anything else I have tried.

b87a88bc-977e-48fe-bd51-29c85aa59bd9_400.jpg

Fill rate and drain rate can be all over the place. You also have to take into consideration the available water pressure, if there's any low flow restrictions, and if there's an open drain or an attached stopper or cross hairs in the drain. Then there's house settling, maybe there was some settling and the pipes are no longer on their initial drain angle.

Chemicals have their place but with older construction they can also be harmful.

Thanks for all the replies! I used to use something from Home Depot that worked pretty well, dont remember if it was the stuff you posted CGVT, probably was. These days i tend to go chemical-less, not because im overly enviormentaly concious, mostly Im just cheap. If a little phywicql labor to save ill do the trick i go that route. Im pretty happy with the drain rate. We rarely take baths and the drain keeps up with the shower perfecly now. Im thinking about installing water saving shower heads. Not just to save water but to save hot water - ergo save electricity. Im all about saving some electrons these days, especially with Hawaii's astronomical electric rates. I dont remember if i mentioned it but i cleaned the condenser coils on my fridge the other day -wow! Were they ever dirty. A nice blanket of lint insulated. Not good. The coils were under the fridge and hard to clean. The fridge i found in the bulk waste has coils on the back and super eady to monitor and keep clean

One of the easiest fixes for a slow drain is to pull it apart and tug out the hairballs that are causing a slow drain. It's gross, but one of the most likely causes....yet one of the easiest to fix...

Im thinking about covering my igloo mash tun in wood. Make it look like a barrell. Not an original thought. I saw a picture of the same from somebody here on HBT - it was cool! A barrel? Cylindrical more, wooden mash tun

I know there is an app somewhere that tells you how to do this; angles, wood widths, number of them needed.

I dont want an app. How about some math? Im going to take you as far as i can based on my math training which is rudimentary at best (please dont laugh) and then ask for help. Math guys, pretty much everybody is a math guy compared to me - please be gentle

Here' my thoughts so far. Lets say my tun has a 20" diameter, so i times that by pi and get, oops.. Wait, calculator....battery dead. I apologize for this, but i only remember 3.14. Two times 3.14 is 6.28. Times by 10 is 62.8 - so thats circumference of the tun.. I think, im sure to the tenths at least.

I think the next step is to decide how many pieces i want to make up the sides of this circuar wrap. Im just going to say 20 because even numbers are easy to devide and it seems like 20 might give a nice wrap. So if i devide 62.8 by 20, crap that aint even easy. Im doing the math in my head so it will probably be wrong.... I actually knew the answer 3.14 right away but had to write it down. I have no idea why it came to me other than its very somple math....my kind

Wait
Ive lost any train of thought i had. Let me recompose. I just reread this babbling bunch of hoohah and i seem to be focussing on pi and 20. It was not intentional but did work out well
Quick recap

Tun diameter 62.8"
20 pieces of wood 3.14" cover that

Next step has do do with the thikness of the wood layer.

So next, i have a bunch of salvage 3/4" nice plywood - smooth on two sides ; ) that im using to make the planks around the round cooler..

Outer diameter is 1.5" wider than inner diameter. 20 * 3.14

Outer diameter 20 + 1.5

21.5 x 3.14 = 67.5
67.5/20 = 3.38

Outside length per spar 3.38"
Inside length 3.14
Devide each by two

Half the outside plank 3.38/2= 1.69
Half insde plank= 3.14/2=1.57

Totally lost now. Probably was off track all along.

Help! What angle i cut ?

Cheers
_

Im thinking about covering my igloo mash tun in wood. Make it look like a barrell. Not an original thought. I saw a picture of the same from somebody here on HBT - it was cool! A barrel? Cylindrical more, wooden mash tun

I know there is an app somewhere that tells you how to do this; angles, wood widths, number of them needed.

I dont want an app. How about some math? Im going to take you as far as i can based on my math training which is rudimentary at best (please dont laugh) and then ask for help. Math guys, pretty much everybody is a math guy compared to me - please be gentle

Here' my thoughts so far. Lets say my tun has a 20" diameter, so i times that by pi and get, oops.. Wait, calculator....battery dead. I apologize for this, but i only remember 3.14. Two times 3.14 is 6.28. Times by 10 is 62.8 - so thats circumference of the tun.. I think, im sure to the tenths at least.

I think the next step is to decide how many pieces i want to make up the sides of this circuar wrap. Im just going to say 20 because even numbers are easy to devide and it seems like 20 might give a nice wrap. So if i devide 62.8 by 20, crap that aint even easy. Im doing the math in my head so it will probably be wrong.... I actually knew the answer 3.14 right away but had to write it down. I have no idea why it came to me other than its very somple math....my kind

Wait
Ive lost any train of thought i had. Let me recompose. I just reread this babbling bunch of hoohah and i seem to be focussing on pi and 20. It was not intentional but did work out well
Quick recap

Tun diameter 62.8"
20 pieces of wood 3.14" cover that

Next step has do do with the thikness of the wood layer.

So next, i have a bunch of salvage 3/4" nice plywood - smooth on two sides ; ) that im using to make the planks around the round cooler..

Outer diameter is 1.5" wider than inner diameter. 20 * 3.14

Outer diameter 20 + 1.5

21.5 x 3.14 = 67.5
67.5/20 = 3.38

Outside length per spar 3.38"
Inside length 3.14
Devide each by two

Half the outside plank 3.38/2= 1.69
Half insde plank= 3.14/2=1.57

Totally lost now. Probably was off track all along.

Help! What angle i cut ?

Cheers
_

Use the triangle math formulas

(Outer length) - (Inner length)/2 = length difference on each side

Length difference each side is going to be one of the short sides, the other is the thickness of the wood layer.

(Long side)^2 = (length difference)^2 + (thickness of wood)^2
You could go mathless for angle and just mark the cut by measuring the long side.

To find out the angle you just need one of the short sides length and the hypotenuse (long side)
three formulas θ being the angle

SOH...
Sine: sin(θ) = Opposite / Hypotenuse
...CAH...
Cosine: cos(θ) = Adjacent / Hypotenuse
...TOA
Tangent: tan(θ) = Opposite / Adjacent

With these figures
Outside length 3.38
Inside Length 3.14
Thickness .75

short lengths should then be 0.75 and 0.12
long length of triangle would be uhh.. my calculator sucks

so sine(angle) = thickness/long length
this angle would be the angle on the side of the outer edge. Inner edge angle would be 90 - this angle.

Coopering, even with math, is a lot of trial and error.

Dan, I suggest you lay it out on paper or in sketchup to figure out the angle and number if staves.

My faith in humanity is somewhat restored. Son lost his tablet yesterday. A Kindle Fire HDX. Someone turned it in. Phew!

Thanks DJ! its going to take me more than a minute to digest that but i will.. I think [emoji3]

GMB, Im glad your sons tablet was returned, it is always comforting to see people do the right thing. I think im going to try the math and lnow there will be a lot of tral and error. Thats good. I need something to sooth my mind

Cheers!

Back