I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the hog. My daughter picked the colors on the first overhaul.

Holy moly! Ape hanger handlebars too. To me nothing was more fun as a kid than a minibike! Nice job keeping 'er around all these years. I dig that, Ischiavo. My son is, hmm... Soon to be 26. He still has the Daisy Red rider i gave him when he was 9 or 10. Imade a really nice gun case for it as

Thanks Dan. I really don't get rid of things that have any meaning to me. I still have my first car, my bb gun, every guitar I have ever bought, etc. I have never been much of a trader or seller. That is cool that your son still has his gun. I hope mine will too someday.

He's gonna high side that thing first time he leans those pegs into the pavement. :D

My dad welded those on first thing for me because the pegs were pretty useless or maybe missing when I got it. I think the chain on the rear sproket will hit the pavement before the pegs will. She's not really set up for high speed cornering or high speed anything;)

Yea, that would concern me too.

Like Dan said, love those ape hangers.

She's got a classic look eh?

So I installed the new carb tonight. About two hours of tear down and reassembly. Especially messing with the throttle linkage cause the new carb was a bit different there. Got it started, runs ok. Then it starts starving for gas again. I am like WTF!

I am standing there looking at it totally pissed. I happened to think that I had to shorten the dip tube on the new carb to fit in the tank. Sure thing, I didn't shorten it enough and it is pressed tight against the bottom of the tank.

Same exact symptoms with a totally different cause...I hope. I really think I am going to have this thing fixed tomorrow:drunk:

What was your first car?
You still drive it or is it covered in leaves and sunk in the ground up to the frame?

Thanks Dan. I really don't get rid of things that have any meaning to me. I still have my first car, my bb gun, every guitar I have ever bought, etc. I have never been much of a trader or seller. That is cool that your son still has his gun. I hope mine will too :

What was your first car?
You still drive it or is it covered in leaves and sunk in the ground up to the frame?

'74 Super Beetle. Completely undriveable and half torn apart (but its all there). It has been stored indoors for about 25 years now. Wow. Time flies. I hold out hope that I will work on it with my boys someday.

That's some dedication to have indoor storage on an unused car. I guess a bug doesn't take up much room though.
I feel the pain I have the same issue, except without the disassembly. Can't afford the needed maintenance or the shipping so it sits.

That's some dedication to have indoor storage on an unused car. I guess a bug doesn't take up much room though.
I feel the pain I have the same issue, except without the disassembly. Can't afford the needed maintenance or the shipping so it sits.

Really didn't take much dedication. It just sat in my dad's garage until I moved it to mine a few years ago. I can't afford much either now days but my real issue is time. I am bankrupt in the time account.

Just returned from a college orientation for my youngest boy. My daughter (who stayed home) surprised us with a litter of foster kittens (not the first time). But this time, one of them is polydactlyl. If any of you have cats, it's really weird to see one with a bunch of extra toes. I'll get some pics later.

P
Just returned from a college orientation for my youngest boy. My daughter (who stayed home) surprised us with a litter of foster kittens (not the first time). But this time, one of them is polydactlyl. If any of you have cats, it's really weird to see one with a bunch of extra toes. I'll get some pics later.

I'm glad you explained that word. I envisioned Jurassic Park with cats;) We love our cats. Kittens are awesome.

So that cat has extra toes? Hmmm, maybe....nah nevermind :mug:

So Wifey wanted a sales counter for her little photography/ soap shop. We looked all over and found nothing. I somehow remembered some kitchen cabinets I scrounged from a job years back. Perfect size. Not a bad arrangement of drawers and shelves. Now just to figure out a top.

img_20150626_193357_599-65820.jpg

img_20150626_170435_149-65821.jpg

img_20150625_082327_362-65822.jpg

A lot of work cleaning and dressing up but pretty cheap to this point. She wanted black so I used minwax polyshades. Its like painting but durable like polyurethane. Good stuff.

Came together nice. Slate from that pool table your not using for the top?

Is this a shop area? There's hardwood floors.

Thank you. I think it will be a huge bonus for the business to have a sales counter. That was not the business plan we had from the start but we're trying to roll with the punches.

That pool table has a particle board top [piece of crap]. How do you know I'm not using it? That is a great idea though. It reminded me that my dad scrounged a good size pile of slate chalkboards from an old school we wired years ago. I'll be doing some measuring tomorrow. :mug:

The pics were taken on the second floor of our electrical shop. It is a huge (about 10,000 sq ft) awesome old building. My grandpa bought it when I was a few years old. I practically grew up in that building. I have heard that it was built as a factory in the early 1900's and that they made shoe lasts there. That is a full 1" hardwood with 1-1/2" t/g pine subfloor sitting on 3x14 joists on 16" centers. Certainly built to support some weight on the second floor.

I have my office, recording studio [unused], spray room and massive storage space in there now. I was loving the space I had on this project and may just have to relocate my wood shop now.

If you can't tell by now, I love this building. I think my oldest son is falling in love as well. He has been spending a lot of time there with me lately. Also, beer tastes much better there. Not sure why but its true.

One heck of a week. Had to call out of work Monday due to a water line breaking under the house. Every other day was working until after midnight to play catch up. Enjoying a late night homebrew to prepare for the weekend.

One heck of a week. Had to call out of work Monday due to a water line breaking under the house. Every other day was working until after midnight to play catch up. Enjoying a late night homebrew to prepare for the weekend.

Depends on what time you start work but that sounds like a long week. Enjoy the brew and the weekend:mug:

A pool table that has anything on its top besides balls tends to not be used as a pool table anymore and just becomes a table.

That does sound like a cool building, and huge too. Damn.

Hey all! Ive been missing you guys a lot. Still trying to figure out this Hawaii change of life, new job, and probably mostly, being so far away from my kids. It was my move, my decision. My bad and i knew id have to figure how to deal with thst and make it positive. I havent yet.

Ok.

Ischiavo, man you are always coming up with one bit of creativeness or another. Youve mentioned a few times overr these past few years you play a guitar and im making an educated guess you play it quite well. I think its quite amazing the way creativity plays out. I figure it this way, creativity needs an outlet, a path to flow, and like a river the outlets change with time. I also believe a man who sticks with his family is an energized (maybe tired, thats different) man[emoji3][emoji108]

Pappy, Cheers to you! You've talked of your kids here on occasion as i have. Thats cause like all dads were dang proud and in love with them! A father's joy is our childrens' happiness, health, and happiness [emoji3][emoji3]Prosperity as well , no lying. Why else push them, pay for them to be well educated[emoji3].

LRB - love the photo. Its classic! As worthy as a world globe in a beer glass. Please Submit to BYO!

So, today a thought occurred to me while sitting on the porcelain thrown reading Brew magazine. What's a better way to draw beer for gravity readings? I use buckets and to take a reading i remove the lid, which isnt hard but is sort of a pita bending over the chest freezer ferm chamber, cleaning off the top of the lid in case any nasties resting on the lid are waiting to fall in once the lid is pulled and tilted a bit. Then i use a sanitized coffee cup which is usually parked on a sanitized dinner plate so no nasties transfer from plate to cup while pulling off the lid.

I stopped using a hydrometer to measure SG as soon as i learned abut the beer saving graces and temp corrected speed of a refractometer. I then became aware of the refractometer's accuracy debate in an alchohol enviorment. I used whatever calculator BeerSmith uses and a couple others - conclusion after comparing a hydromter reading and corrected refractometer reading on five or six 5.6ish abv batches was the refractometer is just fine for me, very accurate, plus I mostly just want to know fermentation has stopped.

So my idea, which im sure is not original but I've never heard it stated before.

Drill a hole into the lid of a ferm bucket a smidge larger than a standard plastic straw. Keep the small hole covered with someting clean and sanitized. Probably could find a small plug first and then match the drill size.

Anyway, you see where im going. When gravity reading time comes, and this is for me using a refractometer. - pop the little pug, stick a samitized straw into the hole, put your finger atop the straw, pull out a few drops of beer. Test and Bam! Reading over. Spray the little hole and plug with some Starsan if you feel the need. Reinstall the plug.

Last edited:
So, today a thought occurred to me while sitting on the porcelain thrown reading Brew magazine. What's a better way to draw beer for gravity readings?...

So my idea, which im sure is not original but I've never heard it stated before.

Drill a hole into the lid of a ferm bucket a smidge larger than a standard plastic straw. Keep the small hole covered with someting clean and sanitized. Probably could find a small plug first and then match the drill size.

Anyway, you see where im going. When gravity reading time comes, and this is for me using a refractometer. - pop the little pug, stick a samitized straw into the hole, put your finger atop the straw, pull out a few drops of beer. Test and Bam! Reading over. Spray the little hole and plug with some Starsan if you feel the need. Reinstall the plug.

Sounds like a good idea. Kinda like a wine thief through the air lock. I don't see why it would not work.

Hey all! Ive been missing you guys a lot. Still trying to figure out this Hawaii change of life, new job, and probably mostly, being so far away from my kids. It was my move, my decision. My bad and i knew id have to figure how to deal with thst and make it positive. I havent yet.

Ok.

Ischiavo, man you are always coming up with one bit of creativeness or another. Youve mentioned a few times overr these past few years you play a guitar and im making an educated guess you play it quite well. I think its quite amazing the way creativity plays out. I figure it this way, creativity needs an outlet, a path to flow, and like a river the outlets change with time. I also believe a man who sticks with his family is an energized (maybe tired, thats different) man[emoji3][emoji108]

Good to see you around Dan! Not so good that you don't seem the happiest man alive. I sincerely hoped you would be by now. You have always given me the best advice and have about the best vision of life of anyone I have talked with on the subject. You and some of our friends here have really helped me through some tough times (even if you didn't know it). You need to apply some of your great advice to your own life IMO and if needed, remember that you have a brother in me that will help in any way I can:mug:

Well, you guessed my ability on the guitar completely wrong. I am NOT a natural musician. I have to try really hard. I still enjoy playing on the rare occasion I have the time.

We have plenty of music and many instruments about our house. The boys can play them any time they want. My oldest seems to like the piano. My middle son likes the guitar. The youngest doesn't care yet.

I have to agree once again with your philosophy. A healthy person needs a creative outlet. Nobody can choose that outlet for you. I try to give my boys as many opportunities as I can to find it for themselves. They will all eventually find their own way and I will fully support them when they do.

Hey brother Leon! :). In retrospect my post was a bit of a downer. It had been a weird week at work with a lot a negative energy spewing into the moral and you know negative is attracted to positive. I am happy my friend, my life isn't perfect but who's is storybook? :).

When I joined this site coming up on five years ago I thought it was just a site that helped with brewing and is certainly that but so much more

. Had a long talk with my son today which was really nice. We used to talk almost daily but he works crazy long hours for the MARINE CORPS and I work longish hours plus the time zone change is a - the last few months we just havent had time to talk and weeks ends I think we both want to talk but get busy. He's on this site. Not to sure how often, he joined at my request and was received well

This one not for the riddle thread
I think that one is nearly dead :-( :-(
But still here is a question
So pleased for your suggestion
A poet and an author
By two different surname's

One man wrote the poem
The story teller gained some fame
( he was an exceptional writer in my book)

So tell me who they are
And you will win a star
Googling is quite okay
But if you know this answer
Then bro you'll make my day

The first "stanza"; I think its called a stanza

All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All things wise and wonderful
The lord God made them all

Ill give you a hint anf its not lint
The story teller true
Was was almost Doctor Dolittlle,
'tween me and you....

Seems you all have things to do today, its early here. A few friends coming over in the late afternoon

I took a hiatus from alcohol and brewing. I needed to. Not any longer. Thats all im going to say on the subject.

I have a question sbout CFCs and plate chillers. Im convinced of their effectiveness but what happens to the cold break? All goes into the fermemtor?

I have a strangish, to me, outlet in one of the upstairs bedrooms. I put my FLUKE mulimeter across the hot and return - 246VAC! Thats the outlet on the left. The one one the right 123VAC

How cool is this? A potential outlet for an electric brewery. Ive never seen an outlet so small used to carry 240VAC. Anybody know if its safe, up to code? I need to go to the breaker box and see if its even idrntified and ciruit protected.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436143775.354330.jpg

I have a strangish, to me, outlet in one of the upstairs bedrooms. I put my FLUKE mulimeter across the hot and return - 246VAC! Thats the outlet on the left. The one one the right 123VAC

How cool is this? A potential outlet for an electric brewery. Ive never seen an outlet so small used to carry 240VAC. Anybody know if its safe, up to code? I need to go to the breaker box and see if its even idrntified and ciruit protected.
View attachment 288570

Sorry Dan. Not much time today to respond to everything.

I would guess that is a dedicated A/C outlet. It is 240V 20A - both stabs horizontal. That could serve you well for an electric brewery. Looking forward to the build:mug:

Sorry Dan. Not much time today to respond to everything.

I would guess that is a dedicated A/C outlet. It is 240V 20A - both stabs horizontal. That could serve you well for an electric brewery. Looking forward to the build:mug:

Hey, ischiavo! Well talk later

Family first[emoji3]

Posted this in another thread but thought I would post it here as well since I follow this thread the most:
Just today I caught my son climbing the hallway wall like he was Spider-Man and while he was at the top I told him to get down and right at that second he loses his grip and falls and of course his brother is walking right below him as this happens so his ass falls right on top of his brothers head which dropped his brother instantly but causes him to flip forward face first into the wall making him bite his tongue pretty bad.

The worst part of this is I automatically defaulted to angry dad and while picking them both up and checking their injuries I am screaming at them about how stupid it all was. Not my proudest moment and I had to eat my pride afterwards and apologize to them for reacting badly. Scared the **** out of me though. I thought one broke his neck and the other broke his teeth. So I've been feeling like scumbag father of the year all day.

Posted this in another thread but thought I would post it here as well since I follow this thread the most:
Just today I caught my son climbing the hallway wall like he was Spider-Man and while he was at the top I told him to get down and right at that second he loses his grip and falls and of course his brother is walking right below him as this happens so his ass falls right on top of his brothers head which dropped his brother instantly but causes him to flip forward face first into the wall making him bite his tongue pretty bad.

The worst part of this is I automatically defaulted to angry dad and while picking them both up and checking their injuries I am screaming at them about how stupid it all was. Not my proudest moment and I had to eat my pride afterwards and apologize to them for reacting badly. Scared the **** out of me though. I thought one broke his neck and the other broke his teeth. So I've been feeling like scumbag father of the year all day.

Hey brother, glad your boys are ok. You are certainly NOT a bad dad. Love, fear, and anger are all very powerfull emotions and the situation caused you to deal with them instantly and at the same time. Maybe you lost your cool for a few seconds but in the situation many of us would. The important thing is your boys are ok. Your son probably wont spiderman ceilings for awhile and he does, your other son wont walk underneath him[emoji3].

Hey brother, glad your boys are ok. You are certainly NOT a bad dad. Love, fear, and anger are all very powerfull emotions and the situation caused you to deal with them instantly and at the same time. Maybe you lost your cool for a few seconds but in the situation many of us would. The important thing is your boys are ok. Your son probably wont spiderman ceilings for awhile and if he does, your other son wont walk underneath him[emoji3]. The way you dealt with it you recognize you could have dealt with differently and you made peace with your boys. Im sure they learned a little too. Dont beat yourself up anymore about this. Youre not a scumbag dad. Just a dad who cares about your kids - if you didnt care, then scumbag might be an adjectve to use[emoji3]

Hey brother, glad your boys are ok. You are certainly NOT a bad dad. Love, fear, and anger are all very powerfull emotions and the situation caused you to deal with them instantly and at the same time. Maybe you lost your cool for a few seconds but in the situation many of us would. The important thing is your boys are ok. Your son probably wont spiderman ceilings for awhile and if he does, your other son wont walk underneath him[emoji3]. The way you dealt with it you recognize you could have dealt with differently and you made peace with your boys. Im sure they learned a little too. Dont beat yourself up anymore about this. Youre not a scumbag dad. Just a dad who cares about his kids - if you didnt care, then scumbag might be an adjectve to use[emoji3]

Doublish post. Cell phone posts are working weird tonight

Tripple posted....rewrote each time. Id try deleting a few but dont know what kindbof mayhem that would bring me[emoji3]

Back