I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Dan. I was hoping you would show up. The backyard is tonight. It snowed and its warm. The boys built a snowman and came in soaking wet and they called off school! Things are good.

How are you? Well I hope.

I am lazy. Someone post their favorite Seven Mary Three or Marcy Playground tune.

Would you accept some Radiohead?

[ame]http://youtu.be/pKd06s1LNik[/ame]

Im thinking this is the only way we are going to see green plants for a while and this song is in the happy/sad mode that my brain is in its half awake state.

I want some of the stuff you're NOT willing to share;) Not sure if I will have any homebrew to bring along but I will buy you a few at the pub if not. I hope the project happens. Nothing set in stone yet..

Rumor has it that there is a bottle of this left at my wife's office: Mai Bock

I'll probably never get it back tough.

...wifey surprised me and brought it home.

:drunk:

I'm torn about opening it. Should I save it?

Yer on!

I must be ancient. I suspected so. :mug:

Yep. Old guy alert. This version has great dynamic range, stereo separation, and I find it hard to believe it was pulled from an LP.

But here it is, for your late nite soundtrack, more Squeeze.

BTW, my best bud listens to music through headphones amplified by a crazy looking vacuum-tube amplifier. He swears by it. Hmmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon and Garfunkel are one of the greatest duos ever. GRACELAND maybe my favorite solo album from a great band ever (yes, I've had a few but the only competition that comes to mind is Shaved Fish by John Lennon after the Beatles, and I can't imagine many would agree with me on that).

My refrigerator wasn't cooling very well so I cleaned it an defrosted it a few days ago. It worked ok for a couple of days and now it is not cooling again. It looks as if it is not defrosting and it is not getting air flow as it should. I imagine the auto defroster switch is messed up.

You still having problems with it? Have you verified that the circulation fan is running? Behind the shroud in the freezer there's a small fan. Easy to get to. If it gives out, it could very well be causing your problem. Sometimes a little oil will limp it by for a minute, but replacing it would be the best bet if that's your problem.

I took a maintenance job this last winter just so I could stay in town a little longer. Trying to look after my parents. Learned a lot at that job, but I wouldn't want to do it forever. I wish I could get some of this stuff through my Sister's head. I'm still not 100% sure whether she doesn't trust Dad and I or if she's just too independent / stubborn. And my BIL is just shy of worthless. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, he just doesn't do anything around the house. She just had a new furnace installed this winter. Didn't even call me, even though she knew I'd been servicing and installing them at work. I probably could have fixed it, but if not, I could have gotten her a discount on a new one and installed it for her for free. But no, she insists on calling "professionals" and getting ripped off. Maybe I should charge her $80 bucks next time I stop by just for a visit and she'll think I'm a professional.

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but will probably take a look today or tomorrow. A lot of things going on. My daughter is in the school play and this is the weekend for their performances. Being the proud father that I am, I plan on going to two out of three. :)

A nice Saturday morning version of a pretty cool song originally recorded by Wet Wille, (a band from Mobile, btw) done by a couple of local Mobile musicians...

[ame]http://youtu.be/1VHJKrP4lBw[/ame]

Yep. Old guy alert. This version has great dynamic range, stereo separation, and I find it hard to believe it was pulled from an LP.

But here it is, for your late nite soundtrack, more Squeeze.

BTW, my best bud listens to music through headphones amplified by a crazy looking vacuum-tube amplifier. He swears by it. Hmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t-PYCWMlBY

That's a great song. I listen to a radio station on the job site that plays music of that era and genre, and I actually heard this one a couple days ago.

I'm cleaning house and watching a huge lager starter spin for my Oktoberfest I'm brewing next weekend while listening to this...

Thanks for fixing my video PP. I don't know why it says it's by Gungfu. It's actually a band called Days of the New...

So, you can fix your TV, even the thin plasmas and LCDs. I've done it twice. I paid about $2k for the thing 2 years ago, I don't wan't to replace it (59" Samsung smart tv, 3D, all that stuff).

The first time, the thing wouldn't turn on at all. I opened up the back of the plasma and started replacing boards, one at a time (see #1 #2 and #3 in the pic). #1 was the power supply board, I was sure it would be that one. Anyway, #3 fixed it. I bought these boards used off ebay. Turns out that a lot of people break these screens, and the repair companies sell off the boards and parts. I bought those 3 boards for less than $100 total.

Then, about a month ago, the picture got these fuzzy lines running vertically all over the picture. It was watchable, but irritating in certain scenes. With the Masters coming up, and tomorrow the first day of baseball season, I needed to make that problem go away. I opened it again and started probing cables with a stick. When I touched the cable at #4 there, the problem went away. The connector was not seated at all. It was clearly not right. I'm 99% sure I never touched that cable when I was fixing the original problem, so it might have been there from the factory. Well, it's possible I did it.... yea, I probably did it now that I thinking about it.

Anyway, in case anyone else has these sorts of problems, rest assured you can fix them yourself.

plasma-62669.jpg

I replaced a few blown capacitors on an HD monitor I found, it worked for a few minutes, but the capacitors blew again, I had never thought to look into replacing the circuit boards!

I replaced a few blown capacitors on an HD monitor I found, it worked for a few minutes, but the capacitors blew again, I had never thought to look into replacing the circuit boards!

The big electrolytic caps there on board #1 were the first thing I checked, even before I bought the boards. Believe it or not, that board was the cheapest out of the litter, only $25 on ebay. I have an extra now :)

The big electrolytic caps there on board #1 were the first thing I checked, even before I bought the boards. Believe it or not, that board was the cheapest out of the litter, only $25 on ebay. I have an extra now :)

Foolish me, I had assumed a board would cost close to the cost of the monitor itself.. It was a 400$ hd 26inch monitor I found on the street on day

So, you can fix your TV, even the thin plasmas and LCDs. I've done it twice. I paid about $2k for the thing 2 years ago, I don't wan't to replace it (59" Samsung smart tv, 3D, all that stuff).

The first time, the thing wouldn't turn on at all. I opened up the back of the plasma and started replacing boards, one at a time (see #1 #2 and #3 in the pic). #1 was the power supply board, I was sure it would be that one. Anyway, #3 fixed it. I bought these boards used off ebay. Turns out that a lot of people break these screens, and the repair companies sell off the boards and parts. I bought those 3 boards for less than $100 total.

Then, about a month ago, the picture got these fuzzy lines running vertically all over the picture. It was watchable, but irritating in certain scenes. With the Masters coming up, and tomorrow the first day of baseball season, I needed to make that problem go away. I opened it again and started probing cables with a stick. When I touched the cable at #4 there, the problem went away. The connector was not seated at all. It was clearly not right. I'm 99% sure I never touched that cable when I was fixing the original problem, so it might have been there from the factory. Well, it's possible I did it.... yea, I probably did it now that I thinking about it.

Anyway, in case anyone else has these sorts of problems, rest assured you can fix them yourself.

plasma-62669.jpg

I read up on my dead plasma (a giant tv that came with a home I had bought..I loved that tv). I saw the over expanded parts (capacitors?). The internet had pics of the typical problem, mine matched. (Btw I successfully out the back off the TV). Then I remembered my soldering skills, and bought a new TV. Ashamed? absolutely. Not electrocuted? Yes. I wish I had your skills PP.

Dammm Leadgolem, Looking good. I can't draw a stick figure. You could illustrate Dan's memoirs when he gets them done. Going to be a best seller!

I realize there are tens of thousands of users, but for as much time as I spend here I am always amazed that I don't recognize any winners. (maybe hoppopotomus). Congrats to the winners at anyrate. :mug:

Yeah, it would be nice to see names that I recognize, maybe some of the more prolific posters once in a while.

I sometimes check out the winners to see a bit of their HBT history. On one major give away not too long ago I think the winner only had a handful of posts and they were all to enter contests.

I think there should be a contributors giveaway some time... Only members with 1000+ posts can enter. Or something like that. It is kinda lame time after time seeing people who never post win. I want to see someone cool win.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think there should be a contributors giveaway some time... Only members with 1000+ posts can enter. Or something like that. It is kinda lame time after time seeing people who never post win. I want to see someone cool win.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Someone cool?, well that doesn't increase my chances! :mug:

Someone cool?, well that doesn't increase my chances! :mug:

If I won I'd give it to you LRB. But I won't win, so that's really a empty offer.

Every time I enter, I lose. I'm going to change it up and not enter next time, maybe I'll do better. We'll see. Albert Einstein said the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I wanted that electric system real bad.

If I won I'd give it to you LRB. But I won't win, so that's really a empty offer.

Every time I enter, I lose. I'm going to change it up and not enter next time, maybe I'll do better. We'll see. Albert Einstein said the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I wanted that electric system real bad.

I think about how bummed I am that I didn't win, then I think of how sad Lydia might have been about the bike (though I hope she wasn't). I respect the extra mile you went on that PP.

I'm just the lurking sort since my knowledge is nothing compared to the brewing gods who post here.

You must be talking about the people who've already done all the dumb things, made all the mistakes, infected enough beers, broke countless hydrometers, stuck the sparge, horribly missed their OG/FG, made a DME mess, boiled over, broke the carboy, burned feet, all that stuff you haven't done yet.

They're not gods, they just started this odyssey before you did. Start posting, you'll be one of them soon enough.

I'm just the lurking sort since my knowledge is nothing compared to the brewing gods who post here.

Brewing Gods who post here? Hmm...?

Good people, humble brewers, and HBTians who welcome others and share ideas are who post here. Only rule here, if I may. Is to treat others with dignity and respect and share brewing adventures and life stuff. Not actually a requirement to share your life here but it does sometimes happen over time.

Not sure if I come across as welcoming or condescending. But believe me it's welcoming.

There are some wonderful people on HBT, you can find many of them here. Bring on your thoughts Skeptidelphian and welcome to "this time of night" on HBT. :mug:

Dan

Latest posts

Back