I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the boy is back at school and now I'm getting his beer texts. Stuff like, "Sitting at X Pizza and introduced my friends to Bourbon County Stout on tap. This is a really good beer!" I like hearing from him of course, but maybe I need to chat that this is coming close to bragging when his dad does not have it on tap anywhere close.

It was my buddies ****zu dog. The dog is white and I figured with blue eyeliner it would have been red white and blue. Sigh my wife was not in favor of that very much :mug:

To varmint and pawn, all I can say, is that with my financial obligations (sick wife, sick mom, and 2 mortgages) I would love to spend a few weeks doing 16 hour days 6 days per week. Last time I voluntarily took time off, was coming off of a job that ended with a 27 hour push to finish. After the OT check on that one, I started hoping to do that at least once a month.

Unfortunately, work for me is slim in the winter, and the only thing I could reliably do for 16 hours is watch my airlocks.

But I am still blessed in my own way. My wife loves me and appreciates what I do for her. My mom typically appreciates my efforts, and in doing so has extended me an interest free line of credit in exchange for everything I do for her. No kids yet, but perhaps someday soon I can get that started. That way retirement can happen the day "it" graduates college, and I can get started on the toy train layout I want to put in "its" bedroom.

And, another blessing, I have HBT.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Arghhh! I received an email from the AHA saying I missed my deadline to pay, but that the deadline had been extended to today. I found that the emails from the AHA are suddenly going to my "Promotions" box on gmail. They never have before. I tried to log in to pay today, in a panic, and it says the number of paid entries has been met and the registration is shut down. This is very frustrating. This was to be my first competition, and now I will be banned from competition next year as well. And I look like a deadbeat. (Although Banned from Competition does have a certain cachet...Bad Boy Brewer Banned for Two Years...maybe the women will swoon).

[Edit]: To their extreme credit, I sent the AHA an email (they are closed today for the holiday) and someone emailed back and they are looking into it. It may still be too late, but my hat's off to them. Also, I fully realize I should have checked my "promotions" and "spam" so my hands are not clean.

[Edit]: They report back that they have a glitch in the payment system, it should still be accepted. Again, I am amazed that they are following up and working to fix the issues on a day the BA is closed.

Very happy everything worked out for you LRB! I think you were being a little hard on yourself, I suppose thats just your humbleness showing itself and its admirable in my book. Cheers and congrats my friend

Im at my daughter's place this weekend. Making some good memories for sure but the primary reason for the trip was to swap vehicles. When she went to college up here I let her use my late model chevy because its very reliable but it was also a temporary deal. Ive been driving my old 1997 jeep grand cherokee. Nearly 240,000, maybe more miles on the old girl. This weekend my daughter and I detailed the jeep. Amazing how well that old jeep cleans up. She has some electrical qwerks. Drivers side window doesnt work in the cold, every once in a while the the brake lights get stuck on and if you dont catch it will drain the battery overnight.

I explained all the little qwerks to my daughter. We parked it in her garage yesterday morning after the final detailing. Today the battery was dead! Wasnt the brake lights that caused it this time. One of us accidentally turned the dome lights while cleaning and didnt notice in the daylight

I bought a portable jump start pack today, 400 amps, hope its big enough cause im sure my daughter will need it some morning. I have some good heavy duty jumpers that are kept in the jeep as well.

Tomorrow I need to renew the AAA roadside assistance, it expired 4 days ago. Insurance covers those things but AAA is faster and their towing limits per year is higher

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Home Brew mobile app

Cheers HBT-ians!

I've posted something similar to this one before. It's a YouTube video from the Christmas of 1987 aboard the USS Midway. This one is a little bleached out, too much lighting I suppose. But overall it's okay. I was there!

I'm retired from the US Navy now, and will say there is nothing like the camaraderie and teamwork goodness I've ever had the pleasure, or privilege is a better word, then when I was serving my country with a whole bunch of great people.. I will never regret my career in the Navy. There are other things I do wish I did differently - The United States Navy is not one of them.

God bless the USA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, i can only speak for my experience in the Navy. But I'm quite certain no matter the military chosen, there are many commonalities. Sense of pride, camaraderie, job satisfaction. It's better than being on a big sports team.. actually I wouldn't have any idea about that.

But it is being part of a great team. Everybody gets trained well, you live real close to each other, your "teammates" become family. Each day you work and live together for a common goal. Times aren't always the best but you get through them together.

EDIT: Cheers to my brothers and sisters who serve, who have served and to your family's

I've come to the realization over the last few months, I live in the past. Present sometimes, but mostly in the past. This is probably because of a few things. Soon, I plan to start living life again. Just been in a holding pattern for awhile. Nearest I can can describe it is a CAP mission.

Thanks for putting up with me folks. I've got about another month and then on to distant shores.

I've come to the realization over the last few months, I live in the past. Present sometimes, but mostly in the past. This is probably because of a few things. Soon, I plan to start living life again. Just been in a holding pattern for awhile. Nearest I can can describe it is a CAP mission.

Thanks for putting up with me folks. I've got about another month and then on to distant shores.
We all do that sometimes. I think it's human nature to fall into familiar patterns. I know I've been at least as guilty of that as the next man.

Hey LG! Haven't seen you around here much lately but definitely understand. Hope all is well for you my friend. You ever get out to Hawaii, look me up and we'll hit Waikiki and drink one of those crazy island drinks. :fro:

Ah it's alot easier to live in the past then to make a new life and experiences sometimes. I read this thread every day, but make post replies after a few beer :mug:

Hey LG! Haven't seen you around here much lately but definitely understand. Hope all is well for you my friend. You ever get out to Hawaii, look me up and we'll hit Waikiki and drink one of those crazy island drinks. :fro:
Be careful what you ask for. Casual remarks like that are why I was forced to make chips and salsa cookies a couple of weeks ago. :D

It's fairly unlikely I'll ever get out to Hawaii though.

So, this morning at 4 am some women I'd never seen before pounded on my door and asked if she could use the phone. So I let her in, and let her use my cell phone.

While she was doing that I realized she didn't have a coat on and only one house slipper. It was 35f outside. She was also really freaked out.

It turns out that her boyfriend had just pointed a gun in her direction and fired it. She hadn't been hit, but it looks like she just took off running and hadn't stopped for a while.

She couldn't get anybody to answer at 4am. So, I ended up taking her to a relatives of hers house. I hope she's ok.

Next time you think your life sucks, think about that poor women. Peace be with you and yours tonight.

Leadgolem,
Your that woman's hero. No telling how much longer she would have been able to survive at 35F with no coat. Id have been leery about opening the door at that time of the AM to someone I didn't know tho.

Dan,
I'm sure that once you and the wife reunite life will be good. The future sometimes seems scary, the past is comfortable. My new job is kicking my ass right now, scary at times. I have some goals to hit and then it will be cake. The future is making me think, innovate, motivate. Feels good. Past made me lazy. Will you be able to brew once you get to the islands? You need to get the old brain moving, juices flowing.

Leadgolem,
Your that woman's hero. No telling how much longer she would have been able to survive at 35F with no coat. Id have been leery about opening the door at that time of the AM to someone I didn't know tho.

Dan,
I'm sure that once you and the wife reunite life will be good. The future sometimes seems scary, the past is comfortable. My new job is kicking my ass right now, scary at times. I have some goals to hit and then it will be cake. The future is making me think, innovate, motivate. Feels good. Past made me lazy. Will you be able to brew once you get to the islands? You need to get the old brain moving, juices flowing.

Thanks Doug, I know you're right; you always have a good way of looking at things. Thank you.

My wife and brew equipment are awaiting me. Not sure which I'm more excited to see. Just kidding Mrs D. :D

So, this morning at 4 am some women I'd never seen before pounded on my door and asked if she could use the phone. So I let her in, and let her use my cell phone.

While she was doing that I realized she didn't have a coat on and only one house slipper. It was 35f outside. She was also really freaked out.

It turns out that her boyfriend had just pointed a gun in her direction and fired it. She hadn't been hit, but it looks like she just took off running and hadn't stopped for a while.

She couldn't get anybody to answer at 4am. So, I ended up taking her to a relatives of hers house. I hope she's ok.

Next time you think your life sucks, think about that poor women. Peace be with you and yours tonight.

Good on you LG. Big chance to take, I guess the pistol in your pocket helped a little. You know what this means? You got some good karma coming your way! :mug:

Yes well, I did have a gun in the pocket of my robe.

Please tell me she asked you if that was a gun in your pocket or if you were just happy to see her. Attaboy for renewing my faith in humanity and helping her out. For that the karmatic beer gods should bless you with smooth brewdays for a while to come.

Keep on course Dan. You weill get there and when you and Mrs. Dan get back together again things may be like the honeymoon phase again.

Sauerkraut finished. After a month, I got a nice lacto pellicle. I should have put an airlock on it. Oh well. I brought the batch to a boil, then hotpacked into jars. For the record, 4 heads of cabbage = 6 pints. Also, next batch I make I need to slice thinner. I don't have a mandolin, but maybe I need one. I love this stuff, but it's not as sour as the Silver Floss brand we normally buy.

I'm gonna make a corned beef this week, then use it and this kraut for ruebens.

_mg_7960-62242.jpg

_mg_7961-62241.jpg

_mg_7967-62244.jpg

Have realized that after a bottle of wine my roommate starts going out of her way to embarrass herself. She brought out childhood photos tonight. I am glad that I only get quiet or excessively talkative. What do you my fellow late nighters do when you get a touch in your cups?

Have realized that after a bottle of wine my roommate starts going out of her way to embarrass herself. She brought out childhood photos tonight. I am glad that I only get quiet or excessively talkative. What do you my fellow late nighters do when you get a touch in your cups?

Not quite sure on the question, were you touching the cup or was she touching your cup?

Sauerkraut finished. After a month, I got a nice lacto pellicle. I should have put an airlock on it. Oh well. I brought the batch to a boil, then hotpacked into jars. For the record, 4 heads of cabbage = 6 pints. Also, next batch I make I need to slice thinner. I don't have a mandolin, but maybe I need one. I love this stuff, but it's not as sour as the Silver Floss brand we normally buy.

I'm gonna make a corned beef this week, then use it and this kraut for ruebens.

Interesting that you got a pellicle. I haven't seen that yet. I'm 3 weeks in to my second batch. I added a little purple cabbage to make pink kraut this time. I don't have an airlock on mine. It's in a 2 gallon bucket with the lid placed on loosely. I didn't boil my first batch. I took it right out and jarred it up and stuck it in the fridge. I squeezed the juice from the first batch and used it as a starter for the second batch. The pink version smells really good. It has a slightly sweet smell that accompanies a very nice sour smell. I will likely jar it up this weekend.

Interesting that you got a pellicle. I haven't seen that yet. I'm 3 weeks in to my second batch. I added a little purple cabbage to make pink kraut this time. I don't have an airlock on mine. It's in a 2 gallon bucket with the lid placed on loosely. I didn't boil my first batch. I took it right out and jarred it up and stuck it in the fridge. I squeezed the juice from the first batch and used it as a starter for the second batch. The pink version smells really good. It has a slightly sweet smell that accompanies a very nice sour smell. I will likely jar it up this weekend.

You don't need to boil it unless you're storing in the cabinet (instead of the fridge).

Well everybody, it was the right thing to do.

Please tell me she asked you if that was a gun in your pocket or if you were just happy to see her. Attaboy for renewing my faith in humanity and helping her out. For that the karmatic beer gods should bless you with smooth brewdays for a while to come....
If she had asked that, I probably would have died....laughing that is.

Do they have Stand Your Ground in CO? Prolly wouldn't be the best strategy in that scenario.:ban:

Stay safe LG.
I'm not actually sure, though I believe so. We definitely have a "make my day" law though. Since it's my property, if someone had tried to force entry I would have been justified in blowing their brains across the pavement.......I'm just glad I didn't need to.

Depends. If I'm with friends I start laughing at everything, especially things that aren't funny. If I'm alone, I either fall asleep or get weepy. Sometimes I get weepy in company too, but that's pretty rare.

It takes a hell a lot of drinking (and usually has to be whiskey) to change my demeanor much. I'm a quiet drunk. Like the kind your momma warned you about...

Latest posts

Back