I know this gets old but...infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcw203

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407272409.949034.jpg

It didn't let me write above. This is a wit that I had brewed about 6 weeks ago. I went to keg it last night and saw this. I have made many wits and never had any substance like this when I went to bottle/ keg. Can you help me identify what it could be?

Thais' perfectly healthy. Go to the infection thread and look to see what a pellicle looks like. Look at ALL the pictures. Krausen can look different from batch to batch, yeast to yeast, but once you know what real brett bubbles look like, and what a pellicle looks like, you won't ever have to wonder again.

I'm getting mixed reviews here which is fine but doesn't solve my dilemma. Which is to keg or not to keg:) might be a bad question but is a yeast infection different from an infection of other sorts.

Which yeast and did you use a starter or pitch a vial?

My first run of WLP005 looking like a nightmarish cottage cheese mess with a lot of yeast floaties like that but bigger.

EDIT: And infection or not - does it taste good? Kegging and chilling should slow down an infection.

I'm getting mixed reviews here which is fine but doesn't solve my dilemma. Which is to keg or not to keg:) might be a bad question but is a yeast infection different from an infection of other sorts.

He was ribbing you with the 'yeast infection' comment. All beer is 'infected' with yeast, technically.

What did you put in the wort, YEAST, yeast took over, yeast infection, yuck, yuck:D

I used white labs wlp400 and just pitched a vial. I did not use a starter or do anything special. I should've added also that the yeast was about 1 month past the best by date.

Looks totally ruined way too much yeast in there.... better bottle it up and send it to me I know how to get rid of it

Okay I will do it! It didn't look like a lot of infections I have seen in the forums, so I thought I would ask and make sure.

I was just joking around. Yeah that is completely normal. The other major yeast is brett which leaves a pretty distinct pelicle, that's just good ol sacc doing its thing. Keg that ***** and enjoy.

Back