I know, another "is this an infection" from a new guy post.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arc

Reaction score
But I promise I've looked for pictures resembling this, but I can't find any. Eleven days into fermentation, and for the past five I've had these brown flakes on top. This is my third batch, and no matter what, it'll taste better than my last.

ForumRunner_20131121_191626.jpg

Cool, thanks. The hops thing makes sense. Had a bag of glacier hops bust in the last five minutes of the boil. Waiting to see how that turns out.

I just bottled a batch that looked exactly like that. It's probably hops/yeast/trub/stuff that got pushed up by the build up of CO2. The gunk will draw to the side when you rack it. I wouldn't worry.

Looks like yeast rafts to me. There was probably a thick slimy layer of it at the top during fermentation, which then falls out as fermentation slows.

Thanks. I didn't dry hop, but a bag of hops busted open so that's probably it. Racking tonight. Tasted a little after my hydrometer reading and it tastes like flat beer to me!

This is my third time brewing, second all grain, and this site has really helped. Great threads and great info!

Back