I Just Ordered My Banjo...Now the wait begins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I just ordered it. Thanks to EdWort for the link.

$65.00 and shipping included.

10 Gallon batches...here I come. :ban:

Banjo_Burner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! I'll be experiencing this weekend I hope. Between work projects, my hop garden, and kids, I hope to get a batch of Haus Pale Ale brewed up. Some day I'll get to 10 gallon batches, but at least the 5 gallons will go a bit quicker now. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the message I've been waiting for...

The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):
1 Bayou Classic KAB4 High Pr... $65.00 1 $65.00

Shipped via UPS Ground (estimated arrival date: 16-April-2007) :ban:

I ordered the exact same thing from Amazon and got it about 3 days later. There are 4 side nuts that hold the burner to the frame. Check them to make sure they are tight. Mine had one missing but it had come loose during shipment and was in the bottom of the box. On the first burn, it's going to be really yellow. Play with it first and don't do what I did, immeadiately start it with the keggle on top. Could have saved me from yellowing the bottom of the keggle, but no harm done. I had to open the air inlet all the way to get to pure blue flame. That sucker WILL shoot out some BTU's!!!!

you should see the kind of boil you get on a 9 gallons SS pot. I boil with it barely on and still have to keep a close eye on it.

now this thing absolutely hates the wind, so keep that in mind

Chimone said:
you should see the kind of boil you get on a 9 gallons SS pot. I boil with it barely on and still have to keep a close eye on it.

now this thing absolutely hates the wind, so keep that in mind

I've been debating buying it myself but I keep hearing the wind issue. That and someone said that for a 5 gallon boil its just too much heat and that you can't really turn it down enough. What do you think? Either way I'll have to do something as my current burner just isn't big enough to sit a 1/2 barrel on top of it (that I just aquired to replace my alluminum pot).

mykayel said:
I've been debating buying it myself but I keep hearing the wind issue. That and someone said that for a 5 gallon boil its just too much heat and that you can't really turn it down enough. What do you think? Either way I'll have to do something as my current burner just isn't big enough to sit a 1/2 barrel on top of it (that I just aquired to replace my alluminum pot).

Prop up a piece of dryway or something and the wind's a non-issue.

Keeping the flame too low is not a problem, either; you have pretty good control over the flame. It's also VERY quiet, which is nice.

not to burst your bubble, HD has the 150,000 Btu burners for $50, if you open the box and mess with the packaging they'll take off 10%... LOL

Anyway, have a good batch with that bad boy

Here's my current setup. I'll keep everything for five gallon brews. It gets plenty hot.

But the keggle I have is just a bit too large to fit inside that rim.

My Banjo will be here on Monday so it's time to place my weekly order with Midwest...only...DOUBLE IT BABY.... :ban:

OutdoorSetup.JPG

Second the wind, this particular model doesn't have much of a wind guard, but if your in the garage, no problem. You can lower it enough to maintain boil, that's not going to be a problem. Also second the quietness, you won't even know it's on, it's that quiet. You WILL play with it. I just couldn't help myself to open that sucker ALL the way. Man oh man, flames shooting out everywhere.

Wind is a huge issue where I live. I brew in my garage but I don't feel comfortable closing the door to block the wind. How much of an issue is it with this one? I'm buying a BBQ this weekend with two tanks, one for BBQ and one for brewing. My next purchase will undoubtedly be a burner...I'm just not sure which one.

Dan

Latest posts

Back