I just made this pilsner but i added rice solids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer is good

Reaction score
what is it gonna be like?

8.6 lbs german pilsner
1 lbs munich
1.5 lbs rice solids

mash @ 150 for 60 minutes

0.143 oz northern brewer 60 min
0.139 oz saaz 10 min

saflager 1-34/70

fermenting at 54.5f then lager for a month

original gravity 1.077

Why?

Where did you get the recipe?

Its gonna have a lot of alcohol, be dry, and get you drunk...

Also, your gonna have like MAYBE 5Ibus.

Nowhere close to a pilsner, more like colt45.

Thats a lot of OG for 11 pounds of fermentables. How much wort went into the fermenter?

Yea ^^^ I did almost the same thing... Definitely going to be like a Colt45... I figure I will keep my stuff around for the poker guys to give me an unfair advantage while playing haha

Oh wait, the hops were off. I really put:

0.7 oz NB for 60 min
1.2 oz Saaz for 10 min

Why did I do this? To give to my family at Christmas dinner.

I was reading about Red Stripe lager how they used rice solids in the kit, so I thought I want to try that, but then I wanted to make a pilsner... I found a recipe here, and then I added rice solids. I am going to give it to everyone during Christmas dinner and see what happens.

Oh wait, the hops were off. I really put:

0.7 oz NB for 60 min
1.2 oz Saaz for 10 min

Why did I do this? To give to my family at Christmas dinner.

I was reading about Red Stripe lager how they used rice solids in the kit, so I thought I want to try that, but then I wanted to make a pilsner... I found a recipe here, and then I added rice solids. I am going to give it to everyone during Christmas dinner and see what happens.

If you want to make a Pilsner, then make a Pilsner... I'm all about experimenting, but at the same time I'm not just going to throw money away.

Rice solids are used, as you stated, as a sugar adjacent. Its used to lighten the body of the beer, but still boost the abv. Usually see it in American Lagers. Red stripe is in BJCP 1C Premium American Lager. Which is a max OG of 1056. So you are WAY above that... Pilsner max OG is 1050. Once again way above that.

So you have a under hopped, high ABV, light body lager. Just like a malt liquor.

Your IBU's are going to be around 12-15... That right on par to an American light lager.

If someone was serving me home brew and I was told it was a Pilsner, and got a burning malt liquor and was uneducated on home brew, I probably would dis-credit home brewing after that.

Also, you must not like your family very much (JK).

Merry Christmas, here is my present :mug: :tank:.

If you want to make a Pilsner, then make a Pilsner... I'm all about experimenting, but at the same time I'm not just going to throw money away.

Rice solids are used, as you stated, as a sugar adjacent. Its used to lighten the body of the beer, but still boost the abv. Usually see it in American Lagers. Red stripe is in BJCP 1C Premium American Lager. Which is a max OG of 1056. So you are WAY above that... Pilsner max OG is 1050. Once again way above that.

So you have a under hopped, high ABV, light body lager. Just like a malt liquor.

Your IBU's are going to be around 12-15... That right on par to an American light lager.

If someone was serving me home brew and I was told it was a Pilsner, and got a burning malt liquor and was uneducated on home brew, I probably would dis-credit home brewing after that.

Who cares if it's not a pilsner. It may be something that the OP or his family actually enjoys. Maybe not. BFD. I once did an experiment and made a hop-free pilsner for my dad (at his request), since he hates hoppy beers. It was awful, and we ended up dumping all the bottles. I wasn't upset in the least. I was out a few dollars in ingredients, and I had a great time brewing with my dad. I've wasted money in a lot worse ways than that.

5 gallons but 1.5 pounds of that is sugar not grain so it is probably like adding 7-8 pounds of grain.

Unless you're only getting about 20% efficiency, than 1.5 lbs of sugar is not equal to 7-8 lbs of grain...

Who cares if it's not a pilsner. It may be something that the OP or his family actually enjoys. Maybe not. BFD.

I'm not going to throw this off subject, but he was the one that asked what he was going to get from throwing stuff together. If I was brewing something I liked or my family liked, I wouldn't ask, "just did this what should I expect". I would be brewing something I knew that people would like... GOSH.

Back on subject.

The recipe if you pull a LB of pilsner malt out and the rice solids, then bump up to a oz of hops for 60 and oz at 10. Also maybe a 90 min boil, that would be a solid pilsner recipe.

I'm not going to throw this off subject, but he was the one that asked what he was going to get from throwing stuff together. If I was brewing something I liked or my family liked, I wouldn't ask, "just did this what should I expect". I would be brewing something I knew that people would like... GOSH.

Telling him his beer is likely going to be terrible (or however someone would decide to explain it) is one thing. You did a great job of explaining just how you think his beer will come out. I personally don't think I'd like what he put together.

However, I was replying specifically to this portion of your post:

Telling that he's throwing away his money isn't exactly telling him what he should expect. That's an example of being judgmental. I felt I would be remiss not to reply to your post.

Dang my dude! I am not throwing your money away :cross:

Trust me, it will be totally worth it when they drink it :rockin:

Ok guys, this was partially a joke. Why did I make this? One beer I drank in singapore was just called "Bavarian" and it was light in color, sweet, and 8.5% or so and similar to malt liquor. I have a feeling my beer will come out somewhat like this. It was also one of the cheapest beers I could find in singapore, that is why I bought it. I am making this for fun. Also, I am really brewing a 1 gallon batch. I was going to make a pilsner, then I dumped in the rice solids just to see how it came out. If I make malt liquor I will be happy, whatever comes out I will be happy, I can see the result of a low mash temp etc.

I will keep everyone posted :tank:

Edit: the beer was Bavaria, not bavarian. I found it here, the orignal 8.6 http://beermaven.blogspot.com/2012/06/bavaria-beers-no-not-bavarian-beers.html

Dang my dude! I am not throwing your money away :cross:

Trust me, it will be totally worth it when they drink it :rockin:

Ok guys, this was partially a joke. Why did I make this? One beer I drank in singapore was just called "Bavarian" and it was light in color, sweet, and 8.5% or so and similar to malt liquor. I have a feeling my beer will come out somewhat like this. It was also one of the cheapest beers I could find in singapore, that is why I bought it. I am making this for fun. Also, I am really brewing a 1 gallon batch. I was going to make a pilsner, then I dumped in the rice solids just to see how it came out. If I make malt liquor I will be happy, whatever comes out I will be happy, I can see the result of a low mash temp etc.

I will keep everyone posted :tank:

Edit: the beer was Bavaria, not bavarian. I found it here, the orignal 8.6 http://beermaven.blogspot.com/2012/06/bavaria-beers-no-not-bavarian-beers.html

Wait a second... You've got an 11 lb grain bill for a one gallon batch??? :drunk:

Wait a second... You've got an 11 lb grain bill for a one gallon batch??? :drunk:

Haha, no no I scaled my batch up to 5 gallons so the final product could be ascertained easier because lots of people are used to brewing 5 gallon batches.

My total grains were about 1.95 pounds

I did pretty much the same thing. I made an "imperial" cream ale using about 20% adjuncts. OG was 1.068 and about 25 IBU's. Yeah, it's got a little bit of an alcohol bite on the back end. However, that's not going to stop me from serving it to my family/friends at Thanksgiving dinner!

Good luck with the big pils.

Alright everyone, I had this lagering for 3 weeks and bottled it tonight. Now, I know it will taste different after a month in the bottle, but I will just say it looked better than it tasted. The ABV after adjusting for bottling sugar is 9.06%. It tasted pretty bad, very sweet and strong, rolled off my tongue with no bite. I think if I had more hops it would help a lot. I will update again in a month and see how it is.

Brewfucius say: homebrewer rather drink phenolic, astringent, imbalanced beer, than no beer at all.

What if you brewed the same gain bill but mashed at a higher temp, doubled the Northern Brewer, and used a Belgian (or Belgian-ish) yeast? Like T-58.

I'm curious how this one turns out after a month in the bottle. (It doesn't look that bad to me, mostly just underhopped.) Might taste like Old English 800 but with better hops. :)

Worst case: you'll have something to mix with commercial IPA's to thin them out a bit.

Back