I just got a Lager Fridge - What should I brew first?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterSweetBrews

Tim Trabold
Reaction score
I just got a fridge to use for lagering. I got an under counter fridge surplus from work for $15.

I hooked it up to my spare analog Johnson Controls thermostat controller and tested temps. It works great. It will hold one 6 1/2 gallon bucket or possibly two corneys.

Now I have a dilemma. What should I brew as my first truly lagered beer? I could make a bock or a pilsner or something else.

Any recommendations for a good recipe?

i'd say something a bit more forgiving then a pils... somethign darker like a schwarzbier or a bock.

Long as you don't use wlp840 then you will be golden. Friggin diacetyl note mare with perfect temps is what I have experienced so far.

What kind of beers do you like? They sky is the limit with lagering. I use lager yeast on all sorts of beers, even IPAs and stouts from time to time.

Cheap date

15lbs golden promise
1 ounce hops 60 min, 1 ounce 30 minutes.
Lager yeast.

Plenty of variety there between hop and yeast choice. You could even make an IPL.

Pre-prohibition American Pilsner.

6 row
Flaked corn
Mt. Hood hops
Pilsen Lager yeast

Grainy, sweet, hoppy, yum

always a possibility to use a dry yeast for your first lager so the pitch rate is less of a variable in your fermentation.

Id keep the first lager @ 1.048 or under, and make a big starter. For the next batch harvest a portion of your yeast cake, -- lagers need far more yeast than you think.

Easy, and reliable strains that ive used which are tolerant of mistakes: wlp940 (also good for north german and american styles.) wlp833, wyeast 2000, wlp 802

Pre-prohibition American Pilsner.

6 row
Flaked corn
Mt. Hood hops
Pilsen Lager yeast

Grainy, sweet, hoppy, yum

That's exactly what I'd brew. Mt. Hood hops are awesome, and it's not a style you can go to any pub and drink. 6-row is highly under-rated imo. I'd go with 34/70, though, since it's so easy to use.

I'd say do yourself some in house science first. Do a split batch of one of your regular recipes, but this time around use half of it to make a lager and the other half ale as usual. Get to know the more subtle differences.

As an added benefit this will also up your cell count substantially for when you make a full sized batch.

I would go with lower gravity for sure (1.040-1.050) and you need a starter/pitch a couple packs/vials. Pitch, healthy yeast is one of the most important variables in lagers. Brew something lighter to start, and then repitch the yeast into a bigger second lager like an Ofest or maibock, or bock....etc.

I have a simple american/czech pils I just did that actually turned out surprisingly good..... will be brewing again for sure. Would make a great "house beer" for sure.

1.042 OG
1.010 FG
4.2% ABV

22 IBU

80% Rahr 2 Row
10% Vienna
5% Wheat
5% Golden Naked Oats

.75 ounce Liberty @ 60
1 ounce US Sazz @ 30
1 ounce US Sazz @ 5

I used Czech Lager yeast 2278..... but, Danish lager yeast might be another great option as 2278 can throw sulfur if you don't treat it right.

Fermented at 50 to start, gradually elevating to 55 over 2 weeks. 62 for a couple days. Cold crashed and kegged.

It is a REALLY good beer. Super drinkable. Can't wait to get it on tap in 2-4 weeks.

I think it is a lager you could turn around in 6-8 weeks very easily.

always a possibility to use a dry yeast for your first lager so the pitch rate is less of a variable in your fermentation.

Agreed. SafLager W-34/70 is great. Use 2 packs in a 5-gallon batch and you're good to go.

FWIW, I've also tried SafLager S-23 and Mangrove Jack's M84 and was unimpressed with both.

I would go for the Helles if your water is suited to it. This is an excellent beer to start with as it is simple, simple, simple. :) If you have super soft water, go for the simple pilsener. Keep it clean and enjoy the wait as it lagers. :)

Mmmmm lager.

Lots of great options from which to choose. They are fun to make.

Here's a recipe for a Munich Dunkel

Here's one for a Munich Helles

Both decent beers in my biased opinion.

I went ahead and did an 8 gallon, close variation of the Munich Dunkel. I did the 2 step mash with my rims (the first time I have done one with it, which was cool) I ended up with a 120 minute boil to hit gravity (I think I added about a gallon too much water).

I made a 1 Ltr starter with saflager 34/70 (maybe too small but starting with dry yeast should make up for it).

I pitched at 60f and stepped it down to 53 for fermenting over 24 hours. It has now been about 36 hours and there is a good kreusen. I am waiting.

FYI, I put 6 gallons in a fermenter, about 1 gallon in a smaller fermenter - both with the lager yeast and in the lager fridge. I also put about a gallon in a third fermenter in a my regular fermentation spot, in a cool closet in my basement, with some 060 ale yeast I recently washed, for a comparison.

I would go with lower gravity for sure (1.040-1.050) and you need a starter/pitch a couple packs/vials. Pitch, healthy yeast is one of the most important variables in lagers. Brew something lighter to start, and then repitch the yeast into a bigger second lager like an Ofest or maibock, or bock....etc.

I have a simple american/czech pils I just did that actually turned out surprisingly good..... will be brewing again for sure. Would make a great "house beer" for sure.

1.042 OG
1.010 FG
4.2% ABV

22 IBU

80% Rahr 2 Row
10% Vienna
5% Wheat
5% Golden Naked Oats

.75 ounce Liberty @ 60
1 ounce US Sazz @ 30
1 ounce US Sazz @ 5

I used Czech Lager yeast 2278..... but, Danish lager yeast might be another great option as 2278 can throw sulfur if you don't treat it right.

Fermented at 50 to start, gradually elevating to 55 over 2 weeks. 62 for a couple days. Cold crashed and kegged.

It is a REALLY good beer. Super drinkable. Can't wait to get it on tap in 2-4 weeks.

I think it is a lager you could turn around in 6-8 weeks very easily.

Whats your water profile look like on this? I just brewed up that recipe you posted in pseudosue clone thread, I like what your doing haha.

Whats your water profile look like on this? I just brewed up that recipe you posted in pseudosue clone thread, I like what your doing haha.

I used 80% RO, 20% High bicarbonate tap water

Brun Water

Ca = 53
Mg = 5
Na = 7
Sulfate =25
Chloride = 70
Bicarbonate = 72

.4 grams/gallon CaCl
.45ml/gallon Lactic Acid

Projected pH = 5.37
Actual pH came in at 5.33 range.

Treated sparge water the same.

Hope your pseudo sue clone comes out well:mug:

i'd say avoid the typical responses here- czech pils, german pils, helles, etc. you can get them at the store or the bar anytime you want.

sky is the limit friend. basic lager, IPL, amber, red, brown, rye, black, smoked, berliner style sour, etc.

do something creative. how about a 25% rye lager with a ton of big fruity hops? an amber/vienna made with two row, victory and maris? maybe an IPL with 5-10% crystal malts and then hopped like crazy?

definitely look up the posts on "quick lager" method. pretty much all the commonly available lager yeasts do well with this method. dont wait two months to drink it. you can turn it in under 3 weeks if you make a good sized starter ahead of time. and while you're at it, overbuild that starter so you can have some ready for next batch.

PM me if you want some more creative recipe ideas.

Back