I have become an EAC/Beersnob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
Okay, so the other day I bought a sixer of Goose Island IPA. WOWSER, is that stuff ever good. I think I need to go back and see if I can buy it by the case. So, last night I drank one before dinner and was in my little slice of heaven until SWMBO decided we should go out. For some reason we decided to go to Appleby's (yech) and the closest thing I could see to real beer on tap there was a Leinie's Red.

Ick! After that Goose Island, the Leinies tasted like red colored Bud Light. What do most people have on their tongues instead of taste buds? Why is that kind of stuff so popular? I try to keep sort of an open mind about BMC. In fact, I really kind of like Miller Lite. It is especially good for lawn mower beer, if you ask me. A nice Corona with a slice of lime goes pretty darn good with some Mexican food on a hot summer evening, too. But man. Most of that stuff is just awful. There. I said it. I'm a snob.

I know exactly what you mean. I used to think there was nothing better than Bud Light. Then when I started brewing and knew what I was tasting, I tried some new beers.

Now, I have had the same 8 Bud Lights in my fridge for about a month now. I'm hoping someone will come over that doesn't know the difference and drink them for me while I drink something good!

I did try one of the Bud Lights the other day, and it tasted like straight pi$$! I had to choke it down. I'm not looking forward to going back home this weekend to my parents and brother's houses. They drink Old Milwaukee Light and PBR! So I can either drink free OML or buy a bunch of Sammy Adams at the local store...hmm...

Too bad, the Applebees by my house actually has a few pretty good beers on tap. They have Smithwick, a Sam Adams selection and Blue Moon. Could be some others too.

I'm going out for a meal tonight. I shall have 2 beers before I go to the restaurant, maybe a glass of wine with the meal and a few when I get home.
I will not drink the bottled swill on offer in the restaurant.
There are no "Safe" pubs near it. Although there are 20 pubs within 100 yards!

Why should I pay for crap.:mad:

I'm with Orfy- I won't pay for swill, when I can get awesome beer at home. I'd rather just drink water. We live in a small town in the Northwoods, so it's always a surprise if a bar or restaurant even has a decent bottled beer. My friends do their eye roll thing, but pretty soon they're drinking whatever I've ordered! Last week and a Fish Fry, I went through the whole "What do you have in bottled beer?" thing. They just ordered their BMC or Leine's stuff. When the bartender mentioned Capital Brewery, I took that one. Next round, everyone had what I had!

Of course, there is a time and place for BMC (lawnmower beer, for one).

Well, there's really no excuse for the poor selection at the Applebees I went to. Here in Milwaukee almost all restaurants, event the national chain ones, make a good effort to have some good beers available on tap.

orfy said:
I'm going out for a meal tonight. I shall have 2 beers before I go to the restaurant, maybe a glass of wine with the meal and a few when I get home.
I will not drink the bottled swill on offer in the restaurant.
There are no "Safe" pubs near it. Although there are 20 pubs within 100 yards!

Why should I pay for crap.:mad:

Man Orfy,

You just burst open my romantic beer illusion of England. I had visions of delicious ale upon ale flowing from the casks of every pub in the country. Way to ruin my idealism!:(

Yooper Chick said:
Of course, there is a time and place for BMC (lawnmower beer, for one).

I can't even do it for lawnmowing anymore. I have found that on bottling day, I can add 1/4-1/3 glass BMC and the rest with green beer. Yeah, it's ghetto but it puts the BMC to use and also gives me a taste of what I'm bottling.

Otherwise the BMC sits in the fridge for one-time company.

My name is Fezz and I'm proud to be a beer snob. :D

Holdup...

A Milwaukeean praising Chicago? Wow...that's like a gay man going straight.

Congrats man, welcome aboard. Glad to have you on the team. While you're here, let's go check out a Cubs game and get you an Urlacher jersey.

Cheesefood said:
Holdup...

Congrats man, welcome aboard. Glad to have you on the team. While you're here, let's go check out a Cubs game and get you an Urlacher jersey.

Hey I had a great time at Wrigley!:D and I did go to Goose Island after, but I didn't care for the IPA. That's just me, I'm not a hophead like most homebrewers. Their Kolsch, on the other hand....yummy! Nut Brown wuz great, too.:mug:

Cheesefood said:
Holdup...

Or if you wanna hang out with straight guys, go to a Sox game

Cheesefood said:
Holdup...

A Milwaukeean praising Chicago? .

I never did get that. Me and the wife would twice a year hop the train and party downtown CHI, And we had plenty friends from your area who'd head up to summerfest etc.

But if you tell me to hop on my tractor you mofo fib :p. I probably should log off now (but won't). ;)

desertBrew said:
I never did get that. Me and the wife would twice a year hop the train and party downtown CHI, And we had plenty friends from your area who'd head up to summerfest etc.

But if you tell me to hop on my tractor you mofo fib :p. I probably should log off now (but won't). ;)

OOOOOH, you used fish fry and fib in adjoining posts! You are still a cheesehead at heart!

Yooper Chick said:
OOOOOH, you used fish fry and fib in adjoining posts! You are still a cheesehead at heart!

Der hey. I'm still hungry for a fish fry :(. One of the few places in the country where the bar/waiting area is usually bigger than the eating area is WI and I assume UP. There's this western steak house place here that's been here since 1910 that seats like 200+ as they've expanded. The bar seats 8. WTF IS THAT?!?!? Everyone stands outside without a friggen drink. WTF, I repeat WTFFF is that!?!?!?!

The only awful beer on tap around here that I've seen is PBR. Some of the emo kids drink it to be so anti-cool it's cool. I just think it's wet malt flavored cardboard.

desertBrew said:
Der hey. I'm still hungry for a fish fry :(. One of the few places in the country where the bar/waiting area is usually bigger than the eating area is WI and I assume UP. There's this western steak house place here that's been here since 1910 that seats like 200+ as they've expanded. The bar seats 8. WTF IS THAT?!?!? Everyone stands outside without a friggen drink. WTF, I repeat WTFFF is that!?!?!?!

You really hit that one right. Here, no one is too upset when they have to wait for a table, because you just go in the bar and drink. Sometimes you end up not really caring if you get a table! Then, when you finish eating lots of times you go back to the bar for an after dinner drink. Makes going out to eat more of an occasion rather than just a pit stop.

When I visit my brother-in-law in Nashville I just can't understand it, because when we go to a restaurant everyone (including us, unfortunately) just sits (or stands) around all over the place in the waiting area getting more and more impatient by the minute waiting to be called. Hello!? Go in the bar and have a beer. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

eviltwinofjoni said:
The only awful beer on tap around here that I've seen is PBR. Some of the emo kids drink it to be so anti-cool it's cool. I just think it's wet malt flavored cardboard.

I've honetly never drank a PBR solely for the fact that my dad drinks it. He's drank it since he was 15 so there must be something good about it (cheap?) I've always pictured it as a horrible beer since he loves it! :D

eviltwinofjoni said:

PBR isn't a bad beer. It's not great, but it's far from awful

Cheesefood said:
Holdup...

Chicago aint bad I have a good time every time I head down there (which isnt as often as I would like to) and IMHO Wrgley Field is shrine and a place every ball fan should head to once, just like Yankee Stadium or Lambeau Field for Football. Chicago has Navy pier, some great theatrers, awesome musems, and is home to one of the best hot dog styles EVER (the dogs are reason enuff for me to head down there).

I think the most animosity beteen Wisconsin and the Fibs is the superiority complex A LOT fo the fibs bring up here when they spend their summers here. there is NOTHING more annoying then heading down to an event like Sumerfest or a Brewer Game or head up to The Dells and listening to a bunch of fibs sit there and slam everything they see and call everyone around them a bunch of hicks and rubes.

Of course you have the Packers/Bears thing . . .and thats just a sports fan fact of life . . . I mean it's not our fualt the Bears Suck :p

rdwj said:
PBR isn't a bad beer. It's not great, but it's far from awful

After what PBR did to their retrieree's is reason enuff for me to call it a bad beer and NEVER drink it again

sause said:
That and they drive like a$$holes.

Wait, fibs to all the way up to the dells? I thought the farest they went north was west bend?

:off:
We are completely overrun with fibs up here in the summer. There are more fibs in my town (winter population, 1,000; summer population 10,000) than the regular people. Eagle River, WI is just as bad!

Last summer, I heard a man (from Chicago I believe) on our local daily radio show decrying our town, because he couldn't find an omelet pan. He said things like, "You'll never have a true society because it's so difficult to find necessities". We're like- Excuse me? You come up here to be in the Northwoods to escape the trappings of city life, but you hate it here because you can't find a 7 inch omelet pan in the hardware store? A necessity? Could you just live one day with a regular pan? I hate it when people do this- go somewhere different, than criticize it because it's different. We run into that alot in our travels- tourists in Belize who are upset because they can't find a New York Times, or tourists in the Bahamas complaining they can't find a good steak. If you have to have all your comforts, then STAY HOME! Don't try to impose your lifestyle on the people that live there- we CHOOSE to be here. Don't be insulting to us while you're here. We've been called hicks and rubes and worse, since we do have a different way of living up here. I've actually had fibs (without college degrees) who have a summer home next door to us, be condescending about education when speaking with us. My husband mentioned his post-graduate work at University of Michigan was quite stimulating and they shut up.

Rant over-

Ok, back to your regular scheduled EAC thread-

Yooper Chick said:
:off:
We are completely overrun with fibs up here in the summer. There are more fibs in my town (winter population, 1,000; summer population 10,000) than the regular people. Eagle River, WI is just as bad!

Last summer, I heard a man (from Chicago I believe) on our local daily radio show decrying our town, because he couldn't find an omelet pan. He said things like, "You'll never have a true society because it's so difficult to find necessities". We're like- Excuse me? You come up here to be in the Northwoods to escape the trappings of city life, but you hate it here because you can't find a 7 inch omelet pan in the hardware store? A necessity? Could you just live one day with a regular pan? I hate it when people do this- go somewhere different, than criticize it because it's different. We run into that alot in our travels- tourists in Belize who are upset because they can't find a New York Times, or tourists in the Bahamas complaining they can't find a good steak. If you have to have all your comforts, then STAY HOME! Don't try to impose your lifestyle on the people that live there- we CHOOSE to be here. Don't be insulting to us while you're here. We've been called hicks and rubes and worse, since we do have a different way of living up here. I've actually had fibs (without college degrees) who have a summer home next door to us, be condescending about education when speaking with us. My husband mentioned his post-graduate work at University of Michigan was quite stimulating and they shut up.

Rant over-

Ok, back to your regular scheduled EAC thread-

I have seen a lot of FIBs do that too. However,
I really hate to say this, but it's not just the FIBs that do that. My annual ice fishing trip to northern MN is this weekend, and you remind me of last year whe my brother-n-law's friend came along. On the way there he drove like an a$$hole, tailgating everyone and had all of us on pins and needles by the time we got there. Once we were there, he spent the whole week bitching about the place. The cabin was too small, there wasn't enough hot water, there weren't enough channels on the tv at night(no one else even watched tv) the furniture was uncomfortable, etc. And he also insulted the locals. I will say that he's not a native Wisconsinite-he's from St. Paul originally. And, thankfully, he's not coming this year.:p

it has to do with fornicating people who reside in Illinois and their lack of a father figure. Even though it makes itself redundant it's usually pronounced F'ing FIB. Flatlander is common for smaller violations of basic common polietness

**EDIT** and Lorena I know you're probably calling me a Troll or fudgie as I type this :p

ok and before ya ask a fudgie is someone who goes up north and eats fudge from the small stores the entire time and Troll is someone from the LP of Michigan (below the bridge) and Yooper is someone from the UP of Michigan, People from Minnestoa are commonly refered to as blockheads . . . I think it's because of the norwegian ancestery and hair cuts but TBH I have no clue why

We should start a Wisconsin/UP Dictionary

Hi Team

hasselhoff%20is%20god.gif

I don't have anything to contribute to being an EAC or being a beersnob since i don't have a problem with drinking megaswill every so often.....so I give you the Hoff

Cheers!

Chimone said:
Hi Team

hasselhoff%20is%20god.gif

I don't have anything to contribute to being an EAC or being a beersnob since i don't have a problem with drinking megaswill every so often.....so I give you the Hoff

Cheers!

Chimone:
Well, at least you had something positive to add to this thread!

Pumbaa- you are not a troll or a fudgie! I've never thought of you Cheeseheads that way at all. You guys are all ok!

yah der hey youse guys!

SO what do you call Ohioans up there? We vacation about every year way up in da UP. about 6 hours north of the bridge in Houghton and further up into Eagle Harbor, MI and you're all making me think about what they are calling us.

We've been going up there as long as I remember, and even before I could remember anything! We try to fit in with all the locals as much as possible, you know, drink a lot, use comments like, "ya eh?" :D

We love it up there...well, except for the damn bugs! It looks like we slaughtered a cow on the windshield of our motor home if we go up there in June!

Being a Buckeye fan I usually don't have too many good things to say about Michigan, but I always make an exception for da UP! :tank:

Pumbaa said:
ok and before ya ask a fudgie is someone who goes up north and eats fudge from the small stores the entire time and Troll is someone from the LP of Michigan (below the bridge) and Yooper is someone from the UP of Michigan

I grew up in Michigan (LP)--so I'm well acquainted with those terms...

My freshman year in college, I lived nextdoor to some yoopers. One of them was name Don, and another of them had a girlfriend named Dawn. I swear they pronounced those two names exactly the same way. (Doe-awn).

After college, I moved to Seattle and was amused to find that northwesterners also pronounce those two names the same (rhymes with either word in "won ton").

I grew up in the Detroit area, but my wife grew up further north in the LP. When we lived in Seattle, she was fairly regularly asked if she was from Canada.

SOB said:
SO what do you call Ohioans up there? We vacation about every year way up in da UP. about 6 hours north of the bridge in Houghton and further up into Eagle Harbor, MI and you're all making me think about what they are calling us.

We've been going up there as long as I remember, and even before I could remember anything! We try to fit in with all the locals as much as possible, you know, drink a lot, use comments like, "ya eh?" :D

We love it up there...well, except for the damn bugs! It looks like we slaughtered a cow on the windshield of our motor home if we go up there in June!

Being a Buckeye fan I usually don't have too many good things to say about Michigan, but I always make an exception for da UP! :tank:

Ohioans are just Buckeyes! (Unless they are confused with trolls- sometimes it's hard to tell!) I'm originally from Youngstown, OH but I've been here since 1983. My family still lives in the Youngstown area.

Do you ever go to the Michigan House in Calumet when you're up there? It's really good, and the brewer, Tim, is great about talking about brewing and showing his set up.

Yooper Chick said:
Ohioans are just Buckeyes! (Unless they are confused with trolls- sometimes it's hard to tell!) I'm originally from Youngstown, OH but I've been here since 1983. My family still lives in the Youngstown area.

Do you ever go to the Michigan House in Calumet when you're up there? It's really good, and the brewer, Tim, is great about talking about brewing and showing his set up.

Actually no, I haven't been to the UP since I started brewing. I probably won't make it up that way this summer since I'm going to the Philippines with my fiance to meet her family :eek: but maybe 2008 I'll get up there. I'll definately look up the Michigan House cuz we drive through Calumet a few times and never mind finding a good bar to hang out at!

Back