I have another question and this one may really be stupid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnman68

Reaction score
What is the smallest co2 carbinator that I can buy, and how much should it cost?

Size wise? You may have an issue. You need a decent amount of Co2 to carbonate and then enough to push it. It is probably more cost effective to get a traditional system. What are your needs?

5lb CO2 cylinder. Between cylinder, fill, and regulator you're looking at $150-200. You can buy a 2.5lb cylinder but it's not a common size and a pain to swap out. Your best options are either 5lb or 20lb. Other sizes are not common.

buddy of mine just grabbed a 2.5 lb co2 tank...its adorable. Gonna be our beach/party tank as it's so much easier to lug around than a 5lb one. AHS (my lhbs) fills tanks, so there's no worry about an exchange.

I still carb with my 5lb...this 2.5lb guy is purely for space constraints and ease of transport.

also...no such thing as a stupid question. ever.

What is the smallest co2 carbinator that I can buy, and how much should it cost?

You can get CO2 cartridges which can be as small as 8-10 grams. But you need a lot of them to carb a beer and push it all out (about 60g for each or so per 5G)

Right now I just make a gallon at a time, and that uses 6 20 oz bottles.

If you buy a tank first check if you can get refills locally. Some places only exchange. And if you have to exchange your brand new tank, find the cheapest one you can that is still within date.

Back